• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain Ski Area - 12/17/2008

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Date(s) Skied: 12/17/2008

Resort or Ski Area: Blue Mountain Ski Area

Conditions: Groomed granular, but very soft under the top layer

Trip Report: I had a bit of a rough start this morning, first over slept and then as I was loading up the car, I saw the my wife left her interior light on all night. Fortunatly, I didn't need to jump it, but I had to run back inside to make sure here car would start as she was leaving for Dallas today.

I pulled in the lower parking lot around 8:40 and there were only 5 or 6 cars there. I was able to park right next to the fence post that has all the stickers on it. By time I got booted up on the 6 pack, there was a light mist falling. Lifts were coated with ice in parts. Some of it was over 1/2 inch thick.

First run was Tut's to Lazy Mile to Falls. Super fast and carvable today. Lazy was so sweet man. Best part was I could really lay the speed on because the place was deserted.

Second run was Challenge. Eh...nothing special going on there today. Very crispy run of frozen corduroy, again carvable and very fast. I probabily skied Challenge 3 or 4 times to see if softened up at any point. It hadn't.

Twice I had to duck inside when the rain was really coming down, which was ok by me to dry off a little bit.

Rest of the day I was lapping Lazy Mile. Super sweet today. I never made it over to Main Street or Burma. For my last two runs, the clouds finally lifted and visability was much improved. On a side note, they were exercising the quad lift today. Getting ready to open Paradise maybe??? As I was leaving, the sun came out and there were maybe 25 cars in the lot.

Total for today was 15 runs for a total of 16,496 vertical feet. I had an awesome time. I'm glad I took a vacation day today. I didn't take many pictures because I wound up putting my camera in my pack as not to get it wet. Here's four though. Enjoy!

Ski-2008-12-17BlueMt001.jpg

Ski-2008-12-17BlueMt002.jpg

Challenge looking towards Falls
Ski-2008-12-17BlueMt003.jpg

Looking up Challenge (about midpoint)
Ski-2008-12-17BlueMt004.jpg

Awesome TR Root!!!!

I'll keep my report brief since Root covered most of the basics. I arrived at Blue at 3:50PM and there were hardly any cars in the parking lot but I saw AtomicJeffs Bimmer. While I was was clicking into my binders..A-Jeff emerged from Homestretch. He arrived about 20 minutes earlier and had skied 2 runs and was happy with the conditions and the fact that the left side of Lazy Mile was fresh groomed. We skied that first and even the non groomed areas were pretty smooth with some some piles of new wet snow to play around in and a deep trench at the curve to give an en extra turbo boost towards the fall.

Challenge was nice and fast and a little choppy..Main Street was real loose and choppy..fun spring skiing turns but pushing alot of snow around. A-Jeff and I skied a Tuts to Connector to lower Raceway to Burma Road to Shuttle to the lower park run..a fun run with lots of sharp corners near the bottom. Then we saw AngryHugo at the top and skied a few runs with him. Barneys Bumps were nice on the top half..a little breakable crust..but the best run for at least the top 2/3 was Lazy Mile..very carvable...and not enough people to be a problem. The one run all of us passed a snowmobile just for the fun of it. Snowmobile tracks are really fast to ski in.

I left at 6:22PM after 15 runs for 15,750 vertical feet. So far this ski streak is at 6 days. My next day off will most likely be Christmas..until then I'll be taking advantage of empty slopes and pleasent conditions at Blue Mountain the true mountain.... www.skibluemt.com

Glenn

Nice report! Nothing like a little mid week mountain time!