• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boating 2024

4aprice

A boater's head must always be on a swivel as things do appear out of no where especially at speed, however Kayaker's need to be aware how low profile they are and the traffic patterns of a particular piece of water.

abc

A boater's head must always be on a swivel as things do appear out of no where especially at speed, however Kayaker's need to be aware how low profile they are and the traffic patterns of a particular piece of water.
Totally agree.

Kayaks, like bicycles, are smaller in comparison to other “prevailing” vehicles. So it’s easy to be missed. When I drive around in my car, I‘m acutely aware how insignificant a cyclist (or someone walking along the road) looks. It barely register! Add to that, the low profile of kayaks, coupled with the deck geometry of some boats, it’s even more difficult for boaters to see kayaks. I did some sailing before becoming a kayaker. I‘m familiar with the different perspective.

On a road, the pattern of traffic is pretty obvious. On water, it’s much less so. In fact, on the coast, boats can come from all direction. With a bit of swell, it’s practically impossible for motor boats to see a kayak. It’s entirely up to the kayaker to anticipate where the boats are going and stay out of the way. Compare to that, big lakes are at least more predictable. They are either coming from a dock or a popular anchor spot, or going to a dock/popular anchor.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Beautiful first ride of the season. All the super knowledgeable and brave kayakers tucked safely away near shore. Perfect glass to let it rip. PXL_20240427_171711510.jpg

PXL_20240427_172827639.jpg