• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bump Skiis

tjf67

So i was thinking about putting a bump ski in my locker this year. I saw some kids coming down through the slides on them really ripping it up. I could never make my fatties move as quick.

My question is what are the dimensions for a bump ski?

SkiDork

So i was thinking about putting a bump ski in my locker this year. I saw some kids coming down through the slides on them really ripping it up. I could never make my fatties move as quick.

My question is what are the dimensions for a bump ski?

It used to be a GROT that they had to have minimal sidecut and were skinny. Thats suddenly changed with the release of the Hart F17, which seems to be a winner. Not sure why.

Greg

Staff member
Narrow waist in the 60's with little sidecut. A few models to search on to get a feel for dimensions are:

K2 Cabrawler or Mamba
Hart F17
Volkl Rebellion
Dynastar Twister
Salomon 1080 Mogul
Rossi Scratch Mogul
Head Mad Trix or Mojo Mogul

Those all aren't currently offered, i.e. some of those are discontinued.

jack97

Narrow waist in the 60's with little sidecut. A few models to search on to get a feel for dimensions are:

K2 Cabrawler or Mamba ==> 92 66 82
Hart F17 ==> 104 64 92
Volkl Rebellion ==> 89 63 78
Dynastar Twister ==> 98 66 85
Salomon 1080 Mogul ==> 95 66 82
Rossi Scratch Mogul ==> 101 66 91
Head Mad Trix or Mojo Mogul ==> 89 60 80

Those all aren't currently offered, i.e. some of those are discontinued.

Some of those dimension resemble skis that came out in the early to mid nineties.

jack97

Here's two more;

Elan Bloodline ==> 90 64 80
IDOne MR-SE (Japan) ==> 95 61 85

Greg

Staff member
I should be on 167's same hold true for the bump skiis?

Pretty much. If in between sizes, go longer so you'll have some additional fore/aft stability which might help out of the bumps. Bump skis are fun. I rode them probably twice as much as I did my all mountains last season.

MR. evil

I picked up a pair of K2 CaBrawlers late in the season and I also just got Randi a pair for her B-day. Now I just started skiing bumps this season, and really didn't need dedicated bump skis. But I like to ski with a tight stance, and I was having some issues in the bumps with my tips over lapping with my all mountain skis that would every once in a while cuase I nice wipe out. The bump skis haven't made me any better in the bumps, but I can now ski with a really tight stance and not have to worry. Just one less thing to worry about in the bumps so I can focus on everything else.

jack97

The bump skis haven't made me any better in the bumps, but I can now ski with a really tight stance and not have to worry. Just one less thing to worry about in the bumps so I can focus on everything else.

Yep.

What really convince me is the shape. Mogul skiing is about flexing the ankles/shin pressure and loading the front of the ski. IMO, with less shape, it forces me to do these things to make a turn especially in the flats. What I really hated with my all mtn skis was catching the tip at the frontside of the bump. When I started skiing more bumps, my precision and aim really sucked, having the wide tips didn't help me, I think it was a hindrance. IMO getting less shape just helps in the learning process.

MR. evil

Yep.

What really convince me is the shape. Mogul skiing is about flexing the ankles/shin pressure and loading the front of the ski. IMO, with less shape, it forces me to do these things to make a turn especially in the flats. .

My first run on the bump skis was an eye opener. We have to ski a small section of grommed trail to get to the bump run. I am skiing down a moderatly sloped section of the trail and have to make a hard left to turn towards the bump run. There is also a sun deck directly infront of me. I try to initiate my turn and nothing, I am still heading for the sun deck. I couldnt get the skis to turn. I had to fall to prevent a crash into the deck. I guess I have been spoiled by shaped skis.

Greg

Staff member
My first run on the bump skis was an eye opener. We have to ski a small section of grommed trail to get to the bump run. I am skiing down a moderatly sloped section of the trail and have to make a hard left to turn towards the bump run. There is also a sun deck directly infront of me. I try to initiate my turn and nothing, I am still heading for the sun deck. I couldnt get the skis to turn. I had to fall to prevent a crash into the deck. I guess I have been spoiled by shaped skis.

You just psyched yourself out. They're not that difficult to turn... :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
You just psyched yourself out. They're not that difficult to turn... :lol:

Maybe you've just been muscling your shaped skis around like they were bump skis so much that you didn't really notice the difference... ;)

Greg

Staff member
Maybe you've just been muscling your shaped skis around like they were bump skis so much that you didn't really notice the difference... ;)

Me muscling anything is sort of an oxymoron.

mondeo

I, for one, have never skied shaped skis. Went from 1995-era Rossis to K2 bump skis in '99. Haven't looked back.

The big difference I saw when I went from the Rossis to my bump skis was in the mounting position. My bump skis were just incredibly more stable than the Rossis, just because I had that much more tail to get backseat on.

jack97

I, for one, have never skied shaped skis. Went from 1995-era Rossis to K2 bump skis in '99. Haven't looked back.

Hmm... check out the read below. Seems the present day moguls skis has the same shape that was introduced in the mid nineties. I get a chuckle that the Dynastar Twister has almost the same shape as the k2 four, the ski Miller used to blow away the sport and the industry.

http://www.skiinghistory.org/sidecut.html