• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain, Vermont, Sunday March 27, 2005 Last, Best Day

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Date(s)Sunday March 27, 2005 Skied:

Resort or Ski Area:Burke Mountain, Vermont

Conditions: Sunny, Warm, Bluebird, Loose Granular

Trip Report: This was my last best day and my best last day of the season, as I don't think I'll be able to get out again. What a marvellous day. Sunburn day. Got to the Sherburne Lodge about 9:30. less than 20 cars, thought I was parking in the loading zone!

This is my first-ever trip to Burke to check it out, collect my pin and just have a grand old time. You couldn't have asked for a better day. Trails were totally snow covered. Only Warren's Way showed a hint at the underside.

A chatty lift line, everyone was chattin' away on the chairs. My first tip was to take East Bowl first thing before it softened up. What marvellous views of the White Mts. Couldn't take enough photos. Love the trails, winding, like a walk in the woods. No stress skiing. As the sun blazed down all day, snow loosened but never became wet (save for the puddle outside the lodge door.)

I have become nostalgic for old-style trails - winding and narrow and I found them here. "Old school skiing. For a brave new world" is the moniker. The maze of blues around Wilderness, Carriage, Big dipper. Couldn't go wrong on any of them. Next stop was Willougby rated as one of the most scenic. Boy, they weren't kidding. It was gorgeous.

I was amazed to find a poma lift alongside Warren's way. It was relatively steep incline. I haven't been on a poma in over 20 years, but being the lazy fool I am, I wasn't that nostalgic.

All of the black/blue trails are best served by the Quad, so you'd spend your entire day on that chair. Same chair, different run every time. Lots of variety. No lines at all, save for one or two chairs in front, just enough time to get your gear ready. Most of the double black d glades were quite bumped up, too much work for me. I was into cruising. If you wanted speed, cruising down Fox's Folly, Dougs Drop, and Dipper was a great way to get speed. Even at the bottom, no snow was wet, so I just screamed.

the lower mountain is a perfect place for beginners. Lots of interesting choices, beginner glades. no stress, a great place to learn. The double is quite slow, which might be just as well for the beginner. Intermediate and above will grow impatient.

Lodges were rather small, but quite adequate for the task at hand. I should have gone to the MidBurke parking lot since I didn't need rentals, but followed the "all services" sign to Sherburne just to be sure. So I endured the slow double chair but just one time.

All of the trails were simply fun!

Lots of people came to the Pond skimming on saturday. Must have been quite memorable because everybody kept talking about it all day. There was a report that a bus shuttled a bunch of flatlanders from the village up to watch.

Food was really basic, and there are not a lot of choices, didn't bother me. This is not a place run my marketeers or MBAs. I am told that this is a money-losing proposition, propped up by the Academy, which needs the Mt. obviously.

I was really suprised at the number of afternoon-only half-day ticket skiers, coming from St. Johnsbury and the like. It really got busy after 12:30.

It sure closes up fast after the lifts close at 4.
I received the bad news early in the day: next weekend is the LAST WEEKEND/DAYS for the resort. Shutters up after that.

One mistake I made, I should have known better. It was nearly 4pm, I am making my way back to the Sherburne Lodge and decided to duck into the glades over there. Well, wouldn't you know it, I "kissed a tree", "married a tree." Resisted the blow with my hands/arms instead of my head. Just a bit scrapped up, but none the worse.

No one was taking lessons, just enjoying the day. What can I say, just delightful.

Place was full of teens and college kids in the morning. Old-timers and single women (yes, I said that) started to show in the afternoon.

My only complaint was the propensity of locals to ski loose and fast without regard to the Skiers Responsibility Code. One fellow came at me from behind at a HROS (hi rate of speed) and shouted to me "LOOK OUT!" as he brushed by me with nearly a foot (12" that is) to spare. Bear in mind that I am by nature a fast GS cruiser, though I was taking it easy yesterday. A second older fellow accused me of cutting him off as he went to overtake me from behind. I was skiing the edge of the trail and he wanted to be closer to the edge than me, I suppose. He argued that because he had approached me downhill of me (broadside of the trail) that he had right of way. Clever, but incorrect. Sounds like a Mass. driver excuse. I insisted that the code indicates "people ahead of you have right of way". As my mother always said "do you think I have eyes on the back of my head?" (don't answer!). He either got tired of debating or actually saw his error, and apologized. Took a bit to settle me down, since I was disappointed to see such impolite behaviour in a land of civility.

On the way in and out to I-91 I almost had an accident when I came across a welding shop in Lyndonville. A very clever and artistic welder works there. Very cute, including the combo USS Enterprise and microwave dish along with some "wildlife"

Snapped a bunch of photos, put them in the "Gallery" section.

Would I go back again? Yes, as an intermediate and expert, on the uppper mountain. Yes as a Beginner on lower, though you might get bored if you are not a never-ever. Mix it up with family or group of mixed skill-levels? Dunno. But I will certainly be back. It's fun, a bit unpredictable and fairly well managed. Home spun, lots of blue jeans and funky old straight skis that must be 20 years old or more.

Certainly lived up to the "Old School skiing" moniker.

/b]

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My only complaint was the propensity of locals to ski loose and fast without regard to the Skiers Responsibility Code.
they probably weren't locals based on your descrpition of the events. i have never had anything but the best experiences with the locals at burke. most are happy to take a few turns with you and if a near miss happened, most would be more likely to apologize for something that wasn't their fault than blame someone else.

i wasn't there this weekend, but have a few pictures from pond skimming a few years back for those interested in seeing what it's all about. it definitely draws a crowd!

Pond Skimming Pics

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very good report, billski, and I'm glad you enjoyed skiing my home mountain. The pics are great--including the welding shop (Bob's Welding across from the development where my Grandmother lives). As you can see, he is a "trekky."

Yes, the Poma is quite a ride...not for the faint at heart and Warren's looked a lot more skiable from your pics than when I was there a few weeks ago.

Glad you liked the terrain...great variety.

Your comment about them losing $$$ is true regrettably...people don't make the drive for some truly great skiing. Since 1990 when I've skied there, the mtn has been run by one bank, one fraud who used it to moneylaunder, an international group of investors with many degrees, and now BMA who has no background in running a resort and yet they're doing probably the best job of the many who've tried (keeping the locals happy, excellent grooming, practical upgrades, keeping it living and breathing).

With regards to the incident on the trail, my apologies and I hope it did not sully your experience. I concur that it was probably someone from outside the area...us locals are a friendly bunch who want the place to survive. I wouldn't smack the locals on the head and call them naive fools :wink: .

Yes, Pond Skimming is the largest event of the season...some 2-3,000 folks show up for it requiring bussing and overflow parking. Insane! :eek: Interestingly there aren't any photos of the event in the local paper and/or the website (yet at least). Annual rite of passage that regrettably marks, sigh, the end of the season. :(

thetrailboss

Staff member
You mention that they are closing on April 3rd...I've not seen any mention of that on the site or on snocountry.com

:-?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Said...

thetrailboss said:
You mention that they are closing on April 3rd...I've not seen any mention of that on the site or on snocountry.com

Yup. But that's what the staff and the locals (I must have heard it from 10 different sources) all said.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Said...

billski said:
thetrailboss said:

Yup. But that's what the staff and the locals (I must have heard it from 10 different sources) all said.

That's sad to hear...wish they could open up on just weekends 'til May or so...but there is no $$$ in it. :(

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
called

thetrailboss said:

You got me going, so I just called the mt. They verified Sunday April 3rd is their last ski day.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Re: Said...

thetrailboss said:
billski said:
thetrailboss said:

That's sad to hear...wish they could open up on just weekends 'til May or so...but there is no $$$ in it. :(

Sadly, my ski days may be over, as I have a life outside of skiing that harkens.

The word I hear is that it is a non-snow issue. They made commitments to their suppliers and staff and its not possible to push it out now. People have already made other plans, even if it was profitable (which it probably won't be.) Most people view the pond skimming as the last hurrah, so the regulars have "already checked out."

I volunteered to tag-team operate the lift with other skiers, but it didn't fly
:blink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I understand their point. Bad season...they got screwed. Mother nature does not follow a calendar...

thetrailboss

Staff member
nekgirl said:
THe pond skimming and big air pictures are up.

www.skiburke.com

Thanks for those great shots, nekgirl! :D Be sure to keep us posted in here as to the latest happenings at Burke! Good news is I may be relocating a bit closer to "home" up there soon... :idea: