• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camcorder advice

MR. evil

Marge and I are planning on purchasing a new digital camcorder in the next several days. Its main use will be to film skiing and mountain biking sessions. We have found 2 JVC models that we really like. From what we can tell from some reading online, the only difference between the two cameras is hard drive capacity. One has a 30gig hard drive (7 hours of video at highest resolution) and the other has a 60gig hard disk capacity (14 hours of video at highest resolution). The 30gig version is also $100 cheaper.

So me being the cheap SOB wants to get the 30gig model as I just don’t ever see us taking 7 hours of video in one shoot. Marge wants the 60gig model because she wants the larger storage capacity. What do you guys think?

60gig model
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8671421&type=product&id=1197074520701

30gig model
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8671403&type=product&id=1197074520568

I have found both of these cameras online for cheaper, it was just easy to get the links from the best buy site in one shot.

Greg

Staff member
Marge and I are planning on purchasing a new digital camcorder in the next several days. Its main use will be to film skiing and mountain biking sessions. We have found 2 JVC models that we really like. From what we can tell from some reading online, the only difference between the two cameras is hard drive capacity. One has a 30gig hard drive (7 hours of video at highest resolution) and the other has a 60gig hard disk capacity (14 hours of video at highest resolution). The 30gig version is also $100 cheaper.

So me being the cheap SOB wants to get the 30gig model as I just don’t ever see us taking 7 hours of video in one shoot. Marge wants the 60gig model because she wants the larger storage capacity. What do you guys think?

60gig model
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8671421&type=product&id=1197074520701

30gig model
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8671403&type=product&id=1197074520568

I have found both of these cameras online for cheaper, it was just easy to get the links from the best buy site in one shot.

There's no need for more than 7 hours of video at a time. Put that money saved towards an extra hard drive for your PC. You'll need it! My video camera with it's puny 2 GB SD card stores something like 23 minutes at high res. That's more than enough for me for a quick little video. Looks like a nice camera.

Paul

I'd go with the 30g. I really don't see the point on storing that much, unless you're away on a vacation and don't have the ability to d-load your raw footage to a PC.

I use a DVD cam. All footage is immediately stored on a medium, instead of having to remember to download it etc...

MR. evil

I'd go with the 30g. I really don't see the point on storing that much, unless you're away on a vacation and don't have the ability to d-load your raw footage to a PC.

I use a DVD cam. All footage is immediately stored on a medium, instead of having to remember to download it etc...

We looked at the DVD cams, ans they are the same price as the Hard Disk cams. The only difference is really the storage. We figure that we will be doing alot of video editing, and the HDD cam makes that easier.

Greg

Staff member
We looked at the DVD cams, ans they are the same price as the Hard Disk cams. The only difference is really the storage. We figure that we will be doing alot of video editing, and the HDD cam makes that easier.

You're correct there. Our DVD cam stores the video data into this weird format. I need to encode it to get it usable on the PC. Major PITA and the results from the freeware program I was using were marginal at best.

MR. evil

Looks like Marge and I are going to take a drive at lunch time and pick up the 30gig model. BTW, I highly recomend getting electronics from Costco, there prices cannot be beat by any chain store and the return policy is second to none.

Greg

Staff member
Looks like Marge and I are going to take a drive at lunch time and pick up the 30gig model. BTW, I highly recomend getting electronics from Costco, there prices cannot be beat by any chain store and the return policy is second to none.

Nice. We expect a rad video of the skiing-in process on Temptor tomorrow night... :beer:

Paul

You're correct there. Our DVD cam stores the video data into this weird format. I need to encode it to get it usable on the PC. Major PITA and the results from the freeware program I was using were marginal at best.

DVD is typically saved as a .vob file. I used to use SuperC to convert to either .avi or .mp4 or .mpg Trouble with that is I also had to fiddle with the codec (H.323 normally) The decompressing/recompressing lost a lot of resolution.

I have since stopped using WMM, and bit the bullet and picked-up the Platinum edition of Sony Vegas Studio 8.0. I put the finalized DVD into the drive, and the software will import it automatically with no appreciable loss in video quality.

The main reason why I like this method is that all my raw footage is archived right from the get-go. As a former Videographer, I'm having a hard time letting go of old habits. Hell, Digital editing was barely on the horizon when I did this professionally. I miss my old 3/4" format tapes and decks.

Paul

welcometocostcoiloveyou.jpg

Welcome to Costco, I love you.

Greg

Staff member
I have since stopped using WMM, and bit the bullet and picked-up the Platinum edition of Sony Vegas Studio 8.0. I put the finalized DVD into the drive, and the software will import it automatically with no appreciable loss in video quality.

The main reason why I like this method is that all my raw footage is archived right from the get-go.

Yeah, I think eventually I'll have to graduate from WMM. Does all I need right now though.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Marge and I are planning on purchasing a new digital camcorder in the next several days. Its main use will be to film skiing and mountain biking sessions.

Yeah, ok. We all know what it's really for. And I gotta say Tim, if you got 7+ hours in ya, you're my new idol.

bvibert

Staff member
Does it have a Video In port in case you wanted to hook up a helmet cam to it. That would make for some sweet MTB and ski vids.. ;)

MRGisevil

Does it have a Video In port in case you wanted to hook up a helmet cam to it. That would make for some sweet MTB and ski vids.. ;)

Yar, it does. We're looking into helmet cam for both skiing and MTB. I really like the goggle cam they have out now, but I don't wanna pay.

Greg, thanks for the tip on the external HD. I never would have thought of that (but should have, as my pc is almost at maximum capacity as it is.)

Marc, you're so jealous.

bvibert

Staff member
Yar, it does. We're looking into helmet cam for both skiing and MTB. I really like the goggle cam they have out now, but I don't wanna pay.

Cool, sounds good to me then... :D

EDIT: BTW, are you a pirate? Yar??

Yar me matey...