• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camden Hills, Maine

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Camden Hills, Maine
4/24/11 Easter Sunday
13.1 Miles

I'm always eager to get my first snow free hike in each season. This spring, the snow has been lingering, especially in the northern mountains. I usually hit Acadia for the first hike of the season. This year I wanted to try something new and hit the Camden Hills.
I started at the Maiden Cliff trailhead along RT 52 and continued to the cliffs which offer good views of the inland hills including Camden Snow Bowl and Mt. Megunticook. I continued to Bald Rock Mtn via the Scenic, Zeke, Sky Blue, and Multi Use Trails. Bald Rock at around 1100' offers good views of the island right off the coast from its open ledgey summit. I made my way over to Mt Megunticook, the highest of the mountains in the area at 1385' via the Multi use and Slope trails. No view at the summit but a short trip to Ocean Lookout provided a great 180 view towards the Snow Bowl, over Mt Battie and Camden, and the ocean islands. I retraced my steps to Megunticook and followed the ridge trail back to Maiden Cliff Trail and the trailhead.
Although the elveation is low the trailheads start at only a couple hundred feet above sea level. The trails were not nearly as rugged as Acadia trails but there were some nice views similar to some views in Acadia. The 13 miles seemed like less. I had to cross a few isolated pockets of snow but not enough to make me regret wearing my summer hiking shoes. If you're in the area, definately worth a trip to at least one of the peaks in the area.