• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Can you advise me on what to do?

jackbailey

I wanted to get an all-mountain ski and after doing some extensive research and trying out a few skis last year, I settled on the 2018 K2 Pinnacle Ti 95 in 191cm length. However, upon receiving them, I realized they seemed quite long and taller than me. Despite being 6'2 and 210 lbs, I deliberated between the 184 and 191 lengths, but eventually chose the latter. I'm worried that I may have been too eager and bought more ski than I actually need. Would I regret not going with the 184 instead? I haven't mounted the bindings yet as I'm still undecided and considering selling them. While the 191 length offers the flexibility for aggressive backside skiing, I don't want to feel awkward or out of place on the groomers with my wife. Can you advise me on what to do?

machski

I wanted to get an all-mountain ski and after doing some extensive research and trying out a few skis last year, I settled on the 2018 K2 Pinnacle Ti 95 in 191cm length. However, upon receiving them, I realized they seemed quite long and taller than me. Despite being 6'2 and 210 lbs, I deliberated between the 184 and 191 lengths, but eventually chose the latter. I'm worried that I may have been too eager and bought more ski than I actually need. Would I regret not going with the 184 instead? I haven't mounted the bindings yet as I'm still undecided and considering selling them. While the 191 length offers the flexibility for aggressive backside skiing, I don't want to feel awkward or out of place on the groomers with my wife. Can you advise me on what to do?
Well, those are long since out of manufacture, so trying to switch a size now is likely problematic.

Kingslug20

You could use them for zoomer groomers days..then get something shorter for woods and moguls.

Hawk

That ski is susposed to have a 17M radius turn and is know to be forgiving. My opinion, if you want to turn them quicker, return them and go with the 184s. But if you are an expert skier you should be able to turn then anyway.

Domeskier

I'd be more worried about their being too wide for groomers than too long. At your height and weight, an extra 7cm distributed fore and aft isn't going to be particularly noticeable. If you're ok with the width, I'd say keep 'em.

Hawk

Why would you be worried about width? I find Width has no impact. Acually it helps me have better edge control.

Hawk

It is not awkward to me. I beat a so called "Racer" on race skis this year on the Sugarbush Nastar cource on my Solomon QST 106's. He was suposedly pretty good.

zyk

I'm all of 5'5" comfortable on a 179 by 92 and I'm not awesome by any means. In the trees though I'm more comfortable on a shorter ski.

Domeskier

I don't doubt that good skiers can overcome inherent compromises in their equipment.

raisingarizona

Its not 1990 anymore you don’t need 70width race skis to carve anymore…the technology has advanced
I ski on 193 Volkl Kendo's for groomers. Those are 88 under foot and have a touch of rocker on the tips. They are wide enough to throw smear or a buttery speed check at 50 but are also stiff and have a metal sheet over the wood core. The rocker is a nice confidence booster when blasting through push piles or rougher sections at speed. I bet this is a popular do-everything sort of ski for some east coasters but honestly they suck in natural, packed powder conditions or in moguls. For free skiing on the more unmanaged terrain I vastly prefer my Atomic Bentchettler 100's. That ski freaking shreds that stuff and still does surprisingly good on groomers too. I was skiing on some Salomon 120 under foot fatties for the biggest of days but they have been retired for good.

I can't emphasize enough how different these skis are in performance and how differently they specialize for certain conditions/styles.

If you are trying to have a one ski quiver killer you are definitely holding yourself back from your personal peak performance. That being said if I were trying to get by with one ski I'd go with the Bentchettlers but I live out west and I would need a better ski for icy snow if I was east.

I've been really enjoying having three sets of skis to pick from. It could easily be five for a more tour dedicated set up and some shreddy mogul skis. Then I'd be really set.