• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Can you advise me on what to do?

Kingslug20

I went head kore
Stiff enough for ice...kind of...very light..
Pretty much good for everything I encounter.

ThatGuy

Any recommendations for me for a single pair? I ski a little bit of everything, except Powder, I miss those days lol.
I ski Enforcer 93s and love them, just a bit heavy but besides that they’re great.

cdskier

Right now I am also using 2 skis. I am 5'-8" by the way.
I have the Black Crow Camox at 97 under foot, 174cm. When there is no new snow, winter conditions, bumps with small anounts of untracted, this is a great ski. Turns quick, pretty good as speed. fun in the bumps. All good.
For everything else I have the Salomn QST 106. So obviouly 106 under foot in a 172 length. This ski is by far my favorite ski. It turns nice at speed. Smooths out the crud, agile enough in the bumbs and woods. A little width and tip rocker for the pow. Lively and fun. 106 is fine for everything in my opinion.
I ski the Salomons probaby 60%-70% of the time.

So we're the same height at least...although our skiing styles are probably a bit different.

Salomon was never really a brand on my radar until I was looking to replace my old Volkl AC50s and Joe at Alpine Options recommended I try the Salomon SForce Bolds a few years ago (he had a pair for himself that he really liked). I demoed them and ended up buying them. May need to check out some of their wider skis as well and try to demo them next year. My Nordicas are getting up there in age, so maybe something slightly wider would work well as a replacement. We'll see.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Throw me into the mix for board advice for the fall.

5'10" and 210 lbs. Currently on some old 2013 Nordica Hell and Back Steadfasts - 178cm. Feels like a little too much ski, maybe just due to the weight and no rocker.

Demoed some Enforcer 93s last year which I really liked.

Any recommendations for me for a single pair? I ski a little bit of everything, except Powder, I miss those days lol.

Most everyone I know loves the Enforcer 94. Save for one person, but he prefers a lighter and softer ski.

I also will be replacing Steadfast eventually. I still can probably get another 30 days out of mine unless I break them. The Enforcer and Mantra M6 are the two that most interest me at the moment

Newpylong

You thinking a 94 underfoot for the shit we ski here? Supposedly the 2023 Enforcers are lighter without sacrificing ride quality, which would be good.

drjeff

You thinking a 94 underfoot for the shit we ski here? Supposedly the 2023 Enforcers are lighter without sacrificing ride quality, which would be good.
I *borrow* my sons pair of Enforcer 94's many times a year. Big edge grip, loves laying arcs in the snow, a little heavy in the soft and deep, but for "typical" East Coast conditions 95% of the time, there isn't much they can't do, and do powerfully and easy

deadheadskier

Staff member

For a quiver of one? Possibly, depending on skier preference. That's why I also want to try the Mantra.

If I had to go with one ski only, it would probably be something in the mid 90s.

I'm particular about hard snow and carving performance as I spend 90% of my time (sadly) on groomers these days. I'm going to start tracking ski usage next year, but if I had to guess on my usage rec skiing this year it was likely

IRally 22 days
Steadfast 10 days
Vagabonds 2 days

Newpylong

Yeah I am a one ski person, I only get out maybe 10 times a year absolute tops. So far the Enforcer 94's are my leading thought, but the weight in crud worries me.

cdskier

I'm going to start tracking ski usage next year, but if I had to guess on my usage rec skiing this year it was likely

IRally 22 days
Steadfast 10 days
Vagabonds 2 days

I've wanted to track my usage for a while, but I usually only think of it once we're already part way through the season. Often I think of it when we're in an extended stretch where I'm using 1 particular ski a lot. This year I finally remembered to start tracking it from the beginning. Being able to compare usage year to year I think will be interesting as that will help determine the "quality" of the ski season. There definitely are some years I'm sure I used the Nordicas a lot more if conditions were generally better overall.

DrPeteG

Was on Blizzard Bonafides for a few seasons which were a fun all around ski 98 waist I believe. Currently Parlor Cardinal pro for most days and Hero Slalom for ice days

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I may have to check this ski out,... I'd love to have a Pure Carver for all that Ice I seem to be skiing. Do you only use them for racing or do you (would you) use them for cruising on the hill?
I have an older pair of Doberman's w the piston and they are blast. Bulletproof edging on ice.

pinion

I'm worried that I may have been too eager and bought more ski than I actually need. Would I regret not going with the 184 instead? I haven't mounted the bindings yet as I'm still undecided and considering selling them. While the 191 length offers the flexibility for aggressive backside skiing, I don't want to feel awkward or out of place on the groomers with my wife.

@jackbailey a friend had the 2019 Pinnacle until this past year. He was on the 184's. 5'11" and around 190lbs. I think at your height you could handle the 191's, but I don't have any personal experience with this specific ski.

I've been skiing 184cm M5 Mantras for the past 4 seasons. Bumps, trees, crud, powder days under 4", groomers, whatever. I'm 6'3" and 230lbs and can drive them effortlessly. My brother is the same build but less weight and skies 177cm Kendos and loves them and follows the same lines I do.

My 2021 4frnt Hojis have seen action only 5 times (deep powder days), but are amazingly fun and possibly give too much confidence. Not so great on the boilerplate though.

Zand

I'm a 1 ski quiver-er. Had Steadfasts for years, finally blew out an edge at Snowbird so I demoed Blizzard Bonafides. Loved the added weight in the crud so I got matched up with some Enforcers the following year. The Steadfasts just got thrown around too much, I love the Enforcers in comparison.

thebigo

I went head kore
Stiff enough for ice...kind of...very light..
Pretty much good for everything I encounter.
Was waxing volkl blaze 94 last night and noticed the base had actually separated from the ski. Fun ski but catastrophic failure after approx 90 days.

Saw a bunch of head kore on powder 7 for a decent price. You skied them? Probably order next week.

20230425_193617.jpg

crank

I have the Kore 105 which when you measure it is 107. Mine are 189's. Love 'em for western trips but 'round heah I'm on some older, shorter, 78mm skis. Might get the Kore 93's as my next ski. Really like the lightness and stiffness combo. The 105's are surprisingly fun groomer zoomers on wide open runs.

Kingslug20

I actually like the 105s better than the 93s...at 184 with the rocker they ski like a 178...
The 93 at 189 do flop around a bit more on the hard stuff.
Im not a carver at all so I dont care about edge hold...schmear it like a bagel!

heiusa

I just purchased my first pair of Stockli, the Montero ax - 80 / 168, I am 5'11'' & 220 lbs. I have been skiing for 60 years and never had more than one pair of skis at a time. For the last 30 years I was on all sorts of Volkls and loved each one, but these Stockli skis are amazing. If you have a chance to try them, I highly recommend them. I ski Killington 90% of the time and go out west a few times. I like to ski fast on groomers, do bump runs here and there, hit the woods when in play and have no problem skiing deep powder on these.

parahelia

Was waxing volkl blaze 94 last night and noticed the base had actually separated from the ski. Fun ski but catastrophic failure after approx 90 days.

Saw a bunch of head kore on powder 7 for a decent price. You skied them? Probably order next week.

View attachment 58353
Sorry about your skis, ugh. I was hemming and hawing between the Blazes and the Blizzard Sheeva 9s (women’s version of rustler 9) after demoing. The ski shop at Sunday River told me they had had several pairs of the Blaze 94s get brought in in the part year for similar failures during the warranty period. That’s part of what tipped the balance to the Sheevas for me. Though I seem to be doing a pretty good job of dinging the bases all by myself in the woods…