• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon lift out to bid

Telemechanic

The only bidders were Leitner-Poma of America and Doppelmayr CTEC, according to my sources. They could both used the work.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The only bidders were Leitner-Poma of America and Doppelmayr CTEC, according to my sources. They could both used the work.
Yea, only two big ones left. I have never ridden a Poma chair that I felt comfortable on and Dopp/CTEC have been the most comfortable chairs I have been on... so I am just cheering on my preferred brand of the two. :)

Since All of Cannon's other lifts are Dopp/CTEC (excepting the Tram), would it make sense from a cost perspective to stay with Dopps for the parts and maintenance perspective or would it matter?

jerryg

While I am a big fan of Doppelmayr, my favorite brand of double was/is SLI. Granted, they're defunct, but I just love the chairs. There are only two in the east, IIRC. I don't really like the fact that Doppelmayr and Poma have bought out everyone and basically have made it a two company show. That being said, I know Riblet is willing to build a lift even though it's not their primary business anymore.

skibumm100

Hall!

I vote for an old, slow Hall double. Something to keep the rif-raf out.

Maybe a Poma platter-pull would be better. Something really inconvenient that will just get you up the hill.

Mapnut

I took a look at the civil plans. The base elevation is 1873, the unloading ramp is at 3153 for a vertical rise of 1280 feet, and the length is about 4050 feet. The same as the original as far as I can tell.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The old chairs are long gone. They still have a bunch of T's in the old double terminal though.

No surprise that the plans call for a chair the same length as the old chair since the land swap stipulated that Cannon had to stay within the original foot print of the area. Last summer, they already started cutting out the lift line in the same place as the old one. Would have been nice if they destumped and graded as it was not skiable this season (at least the newly cut areas).

deadheadskier

Staff member
In all my years of skiing, I've never much cared what brand of chair a mountain uses. I know growing up that all the new chairs Okemo was installing throughout the 80s and early 90s were Poma chairs and many of them felt like sitting on your living room couch. Whenever I skied else where I never even bothered to look what kind of chairs I was riding.

Now I just don't care.

bvibert

Staff member
In all my years of skiing, I've never much cared what brand of chair a mountain uses. I know growing up that all the new chairs Okemo was installing throughout the 80s and early 90s were Poma chairs and many of them felt like sitting on your living room couch. Whenever I skied else where I never even bothered to look what kind of chairs I was riding.

Now I just don't care.

That just means that you're not hardcore enough...

Rogman

I'm just happy that Mittersill will really be off the NELSAP list. Loved to ski it as a kid.

deadheadskier

Staff member
careful Rogman.........I think you're well in the minority round these parts. such comments could be perceived as blasphemy by those who wanted to keep Mittersill off the map. ;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm just happy that Mittersill will really be off the NELSAP list. Loved to ski it as a kid.
Technically, it was off the NELSAP list this year as it was officially incorporated into Cannon as in bounds and on map so called "backcountry". Lift serviced but with a small hike. That is all I am going to say about that. :D

:snow:

Rogman

careful Rogman.........I think you're well in the minority round these parts. such comments could be perceived as blasphemy by those who wanted to keep Mittersill off the map. ;)
Well, then they're a lazy bunch of poser back/side country skiers. If it comes to that, there are plenty of untracked places their mommies can drive them to that they can ski down. Economics and environmental regulations make it near impossible to open a new area in the Northeast. Let's keep the ones we've got.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't know if I'd necessarily call them lazy, poser, slack country skiers. I think most are just interested in limiting traffic over there in order to preserve the snow conditions / experience. As it currently stands, it takes 3 lifts and about an hours time to do a run over there. With a lift, people will be doing 5-6 runs an hour (without a lift line). In addition to that lift capacity, you'll have people over there skiing multiple runs, instead of maybe one or two and others that never venture over there because of the hike will be skiing there.

Effectiviely, I'd estimate that the lift will increase the traffic over there in the neighborhood of 15 times from where it stands today! :eek:

Knowing that, ask yourself, "Is the skiing going to be anywhere near as good over there as it is now?"

More convenient? absolutely. As good? no frickin way

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Unfortunately, the state will likely spend in excess of $1M for this chair, whereas had it been done privately, the whole job could have been done for a few hundred thousand.

Regardless, the economics of it make very little sense to me. I think this money could have been spent much more wisely.