• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Mt. 12/27/06

AdironRider

Headed on up to use my brand new Cannon/Gunstock/ Sunapee pass that I got for Christmas on Wednesday. Got there around 9 before the crowds to see snow covered trees and the mountain in the clouds. Temps were cold and in the 20's. I was super pumped as it actually felt like winter. They had 12 trails open with great coverage. There were no bare spots to be seen anywhere that was open. They had two trails off the summit open (Vista Way and Tramway) which were my picks for the day. Vista Way is one of my all time favorite trails on the east coast, narrow and windy with great snow as its pretty protected. Given the limited trail openings (12) the lower easier stuff got skied off real quick and was boilerplate by 11. Was still a great day on the hill though. Ill be back tomorrow on Saturday when theyll have Gary's and Rocket open on the front 5. Should be another decent day. Definately get there early though, first chair here I come.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i think you may have vista way confused with upper cannon. i have actually never been a fan of upper cannon despite my love for narrow twisty trails. if they didn't groom it, that trail would be awesome. vista way on the other hand is the best trail on the upper mountain when they have a good base and lots of pow. cannon is doing well despite the crappy weather, nice to say zoomer and garys opening up this weekend. they are not very far off from their usual opening speed at this point, minus any natural snow trails that would have opened had they gotten any natural snow recently.