• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Closing Dates for New England Mountains - 2015

JimG.

Staff member
Lots of striped bass, bluefish & a few weakfish mixed in right off the beach here in Jamaica Bay, Brooklyn. Good size too.

Figured the blues and stripers had started to hit.

Time for a few early morning trips out on the sound.

Getting my freshwater trout now before the streams dry up. We need rain badly.

MEtoVTSkier

Figured the blues and stripers had started to hit.

Time for a few early morning trips out on the sound.

Getting my freshwater trout now before the streams dry up. We need rain badly.

Yep, everything is drying up fast this spring. Saw the schoolies were up to RI/MA in the saltwater report last night.

Sons of Thunder

Just got back after a long drive home from Mont St Sauveur. Just my luck that 15 South was completely closed with no warning or detour signs at all. Thanks for the parting gift Canada! Then bumper to bumper traffic the second I entered the Bronx. Welcome home gift from NY!

As for the mountain, I really loved the vibe of the place and the RFID lift tickets are amazing. It wasn't so great though when I discovered L'Atomic was not spinning and all the green/blue trails were closed, contrary to what I was told by the person running their Facebook. We still had a good time but my daughter just wasn't comfortable on the black trails, although she was able to get down it well enough. Healthy patches of ice to be found, but hey it's spring so can't complain. Coverage itself on what was open was very good with no brown spots in sight. We called it a day around 1:30 (4 hour lift ticket was only $28!) and took some rides on the Viking and Dragon which were lots of fun. I'd definitely like to come back next year, and if any of you are close enough to go tomorrow I would definitely suggest it! Had a nice lunch in town afterwards too, what a beautiful place.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
So today is the first day there is no lift serviced skiing available in New England or the east for that matter.....:sadwalk:

Okay it's a crappy day outside (at least here), but I long for the good old days (for me).

Flashback midweek mid-June 1992. I know it's a repeat, but I'm feeling nostalgic. Plus I need to write a few more midweek lift served TRs from the 1980s and 90s. Maybe I'll find to energy to scan and write some old TRs.

https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/killington-vt-thursday-june-11-1992/

machski

Okay it's a crappy day outside (at least here), but I long for the good old days (for me).

Flashback midweek mid-June 1992. I know it's a repeat, but I'm feeling nostalgic. Plus I need to write a few more midweek lift served TRs from the 1980s and 90s. Maybe I'll find to energy to scan and write some old TRs.

https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/killington-vt-thursday-june-11-1992/

Ah yes, the good ole days. I skied the next day (friday the 12th) that year in the morning then drove home and graduated high school that night. Memories...

steamboat1

steamboat1

MSS is scheduled to open again Fri.-Sun. this weekend (weather permitting). Long range forecast is for sunshine this weekend so I think there's a good chance they will.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
MSS is scheduled to open again Fri.-Sun. this weekend (weather permitting). Long range forecast is for sunshine this weekend so I think there's a good chance they will.

Actually it's Sat-Mon, Monday is a Holiday up here.

Here's my latest...

What lift is still brining skiers up in the East?
MSS and Kmart, that's who.

Deep into May – Eastern Closing Thread 2016 – Week 8
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/deep-into-may-eastern-closing-thread-2016-week-8/

JimG.

Staff member
All that is left to decide is whether K can make it through Memorial Day weekend after such a crappy winter.

If they do it would be very impressive.

steamboat1

All that is left to decide is whether K can make it through Memorial Day weekend after such a crappy winter.

If they do it would be very impressive.
It all depends on how long Mike wants to spin the lift. I'm sure there will be enough skiable product left Memorial Day. The thing is Mike has stated in the past that once the lift is no longer ski on/ski off they will close. Years ago that wasn't the mountains policy. I remember years past when not only did you have to carry your equipment on/off the lift but also substantial walking was required to not only get down to the snow but also having to walk across several broken up sections along the trail. It sounds like Mike won't push it that far. Can't say I blame him for the obvious liability issues that could occur if someone gets hurt.

dlague

It all depends on how long Mike wants to spin the lift. I'm sure there will be enough skiable product left Memorial Day. The thing is Mike has stated in the past that once the lift is no longer ski on/ski off they will close. Years ago that wasn't the mountains policy. I remember years past when not only did you have to carry your equipment on/off the lift but also substantial walking was required to not only get down to the snow but also having to walk across several broken up sections along the trail. It sounds like Mike won't push it that far. Can't say I blame him for the obvious liability issues that could occur if someone gets hurt.

Memorial day might be a stretch for Killington. With some warm weather ahead with no cold temps at night and the start of next week being full on sun, odds are slim. There is now an s turn in that trail where the soil is heating and causing snow to melt. Yes they can push snow around possibly - I guess it depends how much visibility they will gain above what get have been getting already.

steamboat1

There is now an s turn in that trail where the soil is heating and causing snow to melt.
There are two actually & the one you don't see on the webcam is larger than the one you do see. You can see a bit of it here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1463684140688_640x360.jpg
    1463684140688_640x360.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 267

Domeskier

Did they intentionally set out to destroy the best lines on middle supe, because, man, did they ever succeed!