• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Vs Wachusett Night Sessions

mlkrgr

I was wondering how the night scene stacks up over at Crotched over Wachusett?
Traditionally, my friend tends to like Wachusett for how the regroom runs at night (and his availability tends to be at night), but was wondering if Crotched does this as well.
The distance aspect is about even... just it goes slightly into favor for Wawa but sometimes work brings me closer to there which makes it a no brainer to visit from time to time... and she wants to get into skiing but the Saturday day session will be the only option for her so now I am looking at potentially going from a bronze to gold pass at Wawa vs getting a Northeast Value pass.
A few visits Sunapee might come into play but going to the rest of the Epic network is something that will likely not happen.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think Crotched has superior terrain and it's much less crowded than Wawa. But they don't regroom for the evening.

Zand

The regroom makes a big difference on heavily skied trails like Wachusett's on any given day. The good thing is they usually do the 2nd groom pretty late (usually between 4 and 630 or so) and the school groups leave by 730 so you have the place to yourself with good conditions for the last couple hours.

I gave up on Wachusett though. Good enough when it's uncrowded but they've reduced the night hours like crazy the past few years so you don't get nearly as much uncrowded time as in the past. Used to get there at 3 in December and rack up 40-50k vert in 7 hours. Now they close at 7.

PAabe

who tf closes night skiing at 7 - if you are going to invest in lights and a second shift of employees why would you not stay open a few more hours. Barely enough time to make it worthwhile if coming after work/school

Zand

who tf closes night skiing at 7 - if you are going to invest in lights and a second shift of employees why would you not stay open a few more hours. Barely enough time to make it worthwhile if coming after work/school
It's pretty stupid. They used to be open till 10 from opening day until at least most of the way through spring. Now they close at 7 until Christmas and again starting on Daylight Savings Day in early March. In between those two dates is school group hell.

mlkrgr

I can see it during Spring after daylight savings when the drop in temperatures are likely to refreeze snow after the sun sets for the night. But granted, they also open at 7:30 am on weekend days which barely gives any time to soften snow... so pushing another couple hours into the night isn't much of an issue with that thought in mind.
But in December, it's ridiculous especially as they closed multiple times with 10-15 minute lines. One night the lines were that long that I was only able to get 6 runs in 3 hours without a break.
And they took away their renewal incentive to ski anytime when you renew which at least opened up earlier times during weekend day sessions in March - the only time I want to ski a weekend day session which essentially is usually an incentive for paying for a bronze pass early at Wawa. But for next year I have to put weekend day sessions on the table.