• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Digital Traffic Signs: A suggestion

Glenn

Dear respective state DOT,
I remember when those new fangled digital signs went up in CT on certain overpasses to warn us about traffic issues that lay ahead of us on our journey. Oh the glory! You could now bypass the traffic jam 6 exits ahead if you knew the area well enough. Massachusetts has followed suit; but they elected to put these signs up on their own structures. The efficiency of government.

Back in the day, these signs were only illuminated when pertinent information was being posted; the aforementioned accident scenario or road construction. When drivers saw these signs were illuminated, they would slow down. And for good reason; they were getting information on driving conditions.

But now, these signs are used to broadcast Public Service Messages: "Slow down for work zones!" "National don't text while eating cereal week" "If you're under 17.5yrs old you can't text in Mass...but if you're over 18 you can...try to be careful."

Seriously guys? Do we need this? People still slow down for these signs.....but at the end of the sea of brake lights, we find out it's just a PSA. Please leave the signs off unless you have some relevant about the road conditions. It will not only save time, it'll probably save a few taxpayer dollars for electricity.

Geoff

Yeah. It takes my attention away from texting while driving if I have to read the "don't text and drive" announcement. They could cause accidents.

JerseyJoey

They post Amber Alerts with these signs when there is a missing child in the vicinity or region. That is very important.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
They post Amber Alerts with these signs when there is a missing child in the vicinity or region. That is very important.
Yes. There was a lot of controversy over these signs before the went up in NJ. The good news is Amber Alerts now also trigger the EAS network (at least here in NJ).

I've noticed a lot more Silver Alerts lately.

JerseyJoey

Yes. There was a lot of controversy over these signs before the went up in NJ. The good news is Amber Alerts now also trigger the EAS network (at least here in NJ).

I've noticed a lot more Silver Alerts lately.

I have as well. These signs serve a huge purpose well above and beyond road and traffic conditions. I was not a big fan when they were first introduced, but they have helped recover missing and abducted children as well as wandering seniors. They serve a purpose.

I remember when they put up that first one on the NJ Turnpike years ago right around exit 15. It was malfunctioning pretty bad when they first put it in. I was making an airport run to Newark one night in July. It was about 105 degrees out dropping down into Newark going south. The sign said "Slow Down--Snow Ahead". Never forget it.

wa-loaf

I like the one's in Salt Lake that tell you how long the ride is going to be.

Dr Skimeister

The Interstate Highway System was developed for mobilization of the military. The concept was hatched in the '50's in the early days of the Cold War. The LCD signage sprung up soon after 9/11/01.

SkiFanE

Thank you, this has been bugging me too.

When these were first rolled out I'd think "wow...must be something important" and read it. Then they started to be used for fluffy stuff. "Snow storm coming". WTF? Now I don't read them unless I can take my eyes off the road, not often when flying down 128 at rush hour. So they sorta lost their point.

Same with Reverse 911 calls. Now school calls when a PTO meeting is being held or bake sale happening.

Classic "Alert Fatigue". Well used term in my field lol.

mondeo

I remember when they put up that first one on the NJ Turnpike years ago right around exit 15. It was malfunctioning pretty bad when they first put it in. I was making an airport run to Newark one night in July. It was about 105 degrees out dropping down into Newark going south. The sign said "Slow Down--Snow Ahead". Never forget it.
655.jpg

OMG_British_Hacked_Sign_01.jpg

And just because it came up in the image search,
graffitti5.jpg