• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do any of you know where Abenaki is?

Tyrolean_skier

Eastern Freestyle just posted the 2013-2014 schedule and for the Eastern B Region it lists a competition on Jan 24 at Abenaki. I do see that it's only for aerials. I've never heard of this ski area so that's why I am asking the question.

drjeff

It's about 2 miles out of the center of Wolfeboro, NH on Route 109A (The assisted living complex my 91yr old grandmother lives in is literally a 1/2 mile down the road from Abenaki).

Its a small, town run ski area with a decent snowmaking system (about a dozen HKD tower guns to cover the mountain which has maybe 200-250 vertical feet, a couple of tows, lights and PLENTY of water to make snow with). I've skied there myself a few times over the years as my grandparents have been residents of Wolfeboro for over 40 years. It's basically an old, quintessential mom and pop ski area run by a small town who benefits greatly from having the property tax revenue that comes with miles of shoreline and hundreds of BIG homes along the Eastern end of Lake Winnipesaukee

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

I have actually skied there a couple of times and learned a thing or two! They have a tow rope so do not wear good gloves or mittens - they will get destroyed. You can actually rent leathers to put over you gloves and they are well worth it. I am not sure if it is even a full 200 feet of vert. I have only ever seen a single rope tow in operation. For a tiny ski area it is kind of cool. Their rope tow is considered one of the fastest and as a result your arm feels like it is getting pulled out of socket after a couple of hours! Tough on little kids and they would not let me tow my son.

Considered one of the oldest ski areas in America!