• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you wear a ski helmet?

Do you wear a helmet when skiing or riding?

• Yes, most of the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, sometimes.

• No, and I don't ever plan on it.

• No, but I'm considering getting one.

• Total voters

tekweezle

If anything, it helps protect against being hit by an uncontrolled skier/rider, or some moron on the chairlift whipping the 'safety' bar down on my head.

good point. as experienced skiers and boarders, we all have confidence(maybe over confidence)in our own abilities. but it;s the other factors that you can;t control that usually end up causing you harm such as out of control skiers and boarders. I never hit myself with my own skis but I have had some thoughtless person nearly decapitate me with theirs while waiting online for a gondola! and after seeing that guy on westway get clobbered by the sliding skier last sunday at hunter, i am convinced that more protection is always good.

strangely enough, all my friends who have helmets are more experienced skiers and boarders. I have no luck in convincing the beginners probably because they think they are going to slow to ever be in danger and can;t justify the cost plus they seem to like fuzzy hats!.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
I'm suprised at the yes always...

I wear my Helmet when

a). I'm in the trees
b). I'm Racing
c). I'm in the trees
d). When it's Freakin cold

If it's warm (25F+) and I'm just cruising with the kids...baseball cap, raybans and hat clip

hiroto

billski mentioned being hot head but aren't more people have problem with inflexibility of helmet to adjust to varying temperature? I started wearing one this season but it was mighty hot while I was skiing tree all day yesterday. My son's helmet was dripping with sweat when I was putting it away last night. I've seen helmet with lots of vents but I assume that would not be comfortable when it is cold.

Another negativity. You cannot scratch when your head itches. The other
day my 3 years old daughter was crusing along. She started to twitch
her head in funny way, then stopped, holding her head, screaming
in agony -- "my head itches~~~~". I had to help her take her helmet and
mittens off so she could scratch her head. What a headache.

Vortex

hiroto, good info on the helmet and comfort. I have been going back and forth on this issue. My kids have them 1 no problem 1 a real fight with for a while. No problem know.
Welcome to Az. You will find it very mellow here and more discussion less arguements than other places.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
hiroto said:
billski mentioned being hot head but aren't more people have problem with inflexibility of helmet to adjust to varying temperature? I started wearing one this season but it was mighty hot while I was skiing tree all day yesterday. My son's helmet was dripping with sweat when I was putting it away last night. I've seen helmet with lots of vents but I assume that would not be comfortable when it is cold.

Another negativity. You cannot scratch when your head itches. The other
day my 3 years old daughter was crusing along. She started to twitch
her head in funny way, then stopped, holding her head, screaming
in agony -- "my head itches~~~~". I had to help her take her helmet and
mittens off so she could scratch her head. What a headache.

How warm was it?

hiroto

Brettski said:
How warm was it?

In upper twenties. Problem is that with tree skiing, you don't have exposure to
wind and you are going too slow to cool down. I'm really not looking forward
for the spring skiing season. It was pretty uncomfortable during those
warm days at the beginning of February.

hammer

hiroto said:
As far as warm temperatures are concerned, if you have a helmet with removable vent pieces then that helps. I've been in a similar situations where I had to remove the vent pieces at the base so and put them back on after the chairlift ride to the summit.
In any case, I'd rather have a warm head that's protected...I can always shed a layer or open up my jacket vents if I need to cool down.

tekweezle

my 49$ Giro helmet is plenty cool when all the vents are open. it has these rubber pieces that you put into the vent holes like stoppers and air goes right through them. maybe in the trees, or doing moguls, i might get a little hot. but i don;t find that a reason not to wear it.

when it gets real cold, i add one of those thin combo face mask hoods made of outlast underneath the helmet. combine theat with the hood on my jacket and it seems to cover my needs for the most part.

the helmet is not to protect you from what you can see and avoid, but from the unexpected that maybe you can;t avoid.