• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dynasty

BackLoafRiver

Not sure if any of you are interested but I thought I would share.

I went to the first of two shows in Portland last night for the new WM film.

My thoughts:

I liked it more than Children of Winter. (except the Burton Smalls segment in last years. That was great) Some of the filming was cool. It kept my attention throughout. There is a segment in China which is absolutely killer. Also, there is a 5 minute thing on a 9 year old girl snowboarder who RIPS!!!! That alone was worth the price of the ticket.

Also a very nice feature on the Adaptive Ski stuff at the X-Games. We had 2 of the athletes, Tyler Walker and....I forgot the other at the show! Awesome to see them there to talk about the experience. Tyler gets big props in the movie too.

Some new locations as well as the same ol' same ol'. I am glad I went. It is always nice to compare/ contrast with the TGR/ Meathead stuff I was watching.

My $0.02

Mildcat

I saw it at Berkley last night. The scene in China was really good. I'm not sure if I'll end up using any of the coupons that came with it but the movies worth the price of admission for me.

SKIQUATTRO

Saw Dynasty last night in NYC (95th and B'way) went in, grabbed a burger and a few pints at Geroge Keeleny's...got up to the theater at 8, grabbed a few beers, midweek tix for Gore, 2 for 1 voucher at Jimney, yr subscrip for Skiing...overall the movie was WEAK...no hoots/holloraing from the crowd and Johhny Mosley is aweful...warren's movies were known for whitty one-liners and he lacks the skill...with all the funny people on this planet, the pick him? most likely wont be shelling out another 25 bucks for a tix next year..

wa-loaf

Saw Dynasty last night in NYC (95th and B'way) went in, grabbed a burger and a few pints at Geroge Keeleny's...got up to the theater at 8, grabbed a few beers, midweek tix for Gore, 2 for 1 voucher at Jimney, yr subscrip for Skiing...overall the movie was WEAK...no hoots/holloraing from the crowd and Johhny Mosley is aweful...warren's movies were known for whitty one-liners and he lacks the skill...with all the funny people on this planet, the pick him? most likely wont be shelling out another 25 bucks for a tix next year..

The vouchers suck this year. Hard to justify the $20+ if they are going to keep going this way.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The vouchers suck this year. Hard to justify the $20+ if they are going to keep going this way.
If that's the case, save the $20 and buy the DVD instead.

With 2 of us, most of the time we don't go to screenings and just buy the DVD instead. We figure if it's good, we'd want to do that anyway... and if we go to the show, too, that's spending $60ish versus $20ish. I don't think we even had a chance to use our vouchers from the last WME film we saw.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Miller used to be the only game in town. That, plus his one-liners made it a draw. We'd have to wait a year for another extreme-skiing flick. It was always a draw.

Back in the old days, our club would actually get real films made by ski equipment manufacturers, riddled with upfront ads. We'd get a room, a projector, lots of food and drink and have a good time of the evening. Everyone would be so pumped up by the end. Not so much any more.

Now, with instant internet gratification enabling so many other good filmmakers like TGR and Meathead, I am beginning to yawn a bit when I see a Miller film. I agree with skiquattro that they can do better than Mosley. While he's a great skier, he lacks that sense of humor. If they could find a Jay-Leno-who-skis type of guy, it would be much more interesting to listen to.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree with skiquattro that they can do better than Mosley. While he's a great skier, he lacks that sense of humor. If they could find a Jay-Leno-who-skis type of guy, it would be much more interesting to listen to.

I personally think Jay Leno and Mosely are cut from the same cloth. Both are extremely cheezy and not at all funny.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would have a local color guy do it for each area they visit. Every ski town has one. Bosshog could do the segment on Sugarlaof. Kim Brown in Stowe

frozencorn

Plake would be good, but he's probably not polished enough for the Miller folks.

evantrentful

I dont know that I could really watch another Warren Miller Entertainment movie anymore. Theres not much left to them. Much of their footage is outsourced from other filming companies, much of which appeared in other movies already this season. Then WME proceeds to sue Level 1 productions due to Warren Miller's (the human) involvement in their movie, Refresh (he voiced a new narration for the movie, and attended their IF3 premiere in Montreal). WME tried to have a judge immediately bar the first premieres of Refresh, and all copies of the movie destroyed.

It doesn't bode well for a company when its namesake then procedes to put himself directly in the legal battle between the two companies saying that WME is a shell of its former self, making movies he wants nothing to do with, nor contractually obligated to remain out of other movies.

So heres 'Warren Miller's' new movie, Refresh.
http://video.mpora.com/watch/vuNIfBxmS/

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I dont know that I could really watch another Warren Miller Entertainment movie anymore. Theres not much left to them. Much of their footage is outsourced from other filming companies, much of which appeared in other movies already this season. Then WME proceeds to sue Level 1 productions due to Warren Miller's (the human) involvement in their movie, Refresh (he voiced a new narration for the movie, and attended their IF3 premiere in Montreal). WME tried to have a judge immediately bar the first premieres of Refresh, and all copies of the movie destroyed.

It doesn't bode well for a company when its namesake then procedes to put himself directly in the legal battle between the two companies saying that WME is a shell of its former self, making movies he wants nothing to do with, nor contractually obligated to remain out of other movies.

So heres 'Warren Miller's' new movie, Refresh.
http://video.mpora.com/watch/vuNIfBxmS/
That episode definitely has affected my opinion of WME. I commend Warren Miller for stepping in and defending Level 1, though.