• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Easing into the season..Mount Snow 11/10-11/11

Hey All,

I'm back from a weekend skiing at Mount Snow. The only lift served skiing in the entire state of Vermont. On Friday at 2:00PM sharp, I picked Atomic Jeff up on the south side of Bethlehem. Then drove 412 South to I-78 then I-287 north in NJ to I-87 north in NY. We stopped at a rest stop near the Catskills for some Mickey D's..then continued north to Albany than east to Bennington. We stayed at a Best Western kind of north of town near the Pizza Hut and Wal-Mart. There was a smoking room available for $80 a night and a non smoking sweet for $90 a night and I was about to get $10 knocked off the Suite with a AAA discount so it was really $80. The suite was huge with a big TV, refridgerator, microwave..nice bed, and a couch with a coffee table. After dinner at Carmodys in town we both went to bed pretty early.
The next morning the alarm clock went off at 6:30AM and we gathered our ski gear and hit the road with a stop at Dunkin Doughnutz. The drive to Mount Snow was 30 miles and as we approached the mountain we could see guns blasting in the distance. We pulled into the parking lot a few minutes after 8:00AM and the temperature was in the upper 20s with no wind and a mostly cloudy sky. Lift tickets were $49 and no morning tickets were available and also no two day tickets. The only lift to the top was the Summit Grand express which isn't really that fast..maybe 800 feet per minute as opposed to 1,000 feet per minute for most high speed quads. There were also no foot-rests which I've grown used to and appreciate. Near the top there was a haze from low lying clouds and snowmaking. All the trees up high were frosted. Then at the top of the lift you skate up a little hill to Canyon which leads into Standard to the base. Other than that run there was a bunny hill open with some park features and a park a shuttle bus ride over on Carintha. I was on my Rossi Scratch BCs for the first time and the wideness really helped in the chop down low and they were stiffer than I imagined they'd be which was a big plus. The top of the run was the best..real fast hardpack and very edgeable..then under the guns was variable and a little thick and at the very bottom the snow got sticky. After our 3rd run, we ran into MCTVT something Mark from AlpineZone. He bikes 30 miles per year and was in much better ski shape than me and Atomic Jeff. I only skied one 1700 vertical foot run non-stop..most of my runs involved a quick 30 or so second pitstop. Based on my I-pod, most of my runs were 4-5 minutes long and it was a real leg burner because extra turns were needed to avoid all the people. Crowds were lighter than expected but there was still quite a bit of congestion. Around 11:00AM we stopped for some water and a snack and then skied a few more runs. 13 runs in total and I was spent for a total of 22,100 vertical feet.
After skiing we drove back into Bennington and got Subway..then chilled and had some Birch Beer and I took a nice 1.5 hour nap..then more birch beer, chips and salsa...pizza from pizza hut..birch beer..sugar free red bull..and then I fell asleep at like 10:30PM..There were alot of mad steezy ski videos on RSN TV including the Teton Gravity video Anomoly.
This morning we putzed around a little bit and got to the mountain at around 8:20AM and there were less cars in the parking lot than yesterday. The temperature was in the upper 20s at the base but it was very windy. On the first run..we ran into Skidude and KrazyK2 who were down for the day with about 20 others for Green Mountain College in Killington. There were lots of Killington skiers enjoying the excellent early season snow at Mount Snow. The snow that was blown from the towers was great. I heard one rider comment that it wasn't like normal manmade..this stuff was more feathery and not so chunky. Conditions today were similar to yesterday..a little slicker at the top..and less sticky lower down..there was a little granuler ice chunks in the middle but no real death cookies. Me and A-Jeff were both uber stiff from yesterday and called it a day at 11:00AM after only 7 runs for 11,900 vertical feet. The combination of new boots and not preparing for ski season with exercise took it's toll. Plus I'm a more mature GSS and prefer to quit when I'm spent as opposed to being a hero and putting up big vert..I can do that plenty later in the season when I'm in shape. It felt great to get out and make some turns..I started my ski season a full 2 weeks earlier than last season which is mad steezy yo...and now there's an entire season ahead....Holla..

KevinF

Nice writeup... I was there today (Sunday) as well. I hung around until noon hoping that they'd open Chute, but I didn't see / hear any evidence of that happening. And then I got home and found that I apparently left a little too early. Oh well.

It was getting a little slushy in places at the bottom... some of the snow guns were blasting out more water then snow as the day warmed up. But I actually like skiing slush, so I didn't really mind. There were a couple mini-bumps forming along skiers right in places which added a little fun to the mix.

skiadikt

Nice writeup... I was there today (Sunday) as well. I hung around until noon hoping that they'd open Chute, but I didn't see / hear any evidence of that happening. And then I got home and found that I apparently left a little too early. Oh well.

It was getting a little slushy in places at the bottom... some of the snow guns were blasting out more water then snow as the day warmed up. But I actually like skiing slush, so I didn't really mind. There were a couple mini-bumps forming along skiers right in places which added a little fun to the mix.

ha me too ... quit shortly after noon cause my legs were screaming (and to be honest got a bit bored skiing the same run) and missed the opening of the north face. definitely would have sucked it up for that.
but yeah overall very good conditions and worth every penny of the the 49 bux. the trail got a bit zooey between 10-11 and certain spots were a bit skied off but definitely big time kudos to mt snow. in any case the skiing at mt snow today will blow away any opening at k could ever have. mostly did laps off the summit quad and ran off some ridiculous vertical, whatever mt snow is ... 1500-1600 ft a pop. way better than skiing puny rime or east glade and then standing in line 10-15 min for another ride up the glades triple. even more embarassing for killington, is the fact that a ski area 60 miles to the south and nearly 1000 ft less elevation could beat them to the punch. btw those fan guns are great to ski under. they're relatively quiet, make a nice light powder and you don't get dermabrasion. once again great job mt snow!

hrstrat57

I could have done this!!

...was hoping for wa wa, no dice yet....

..didn't even have driving north on the radar screen....should have, sounds like fun!! Probably could have talked a ski bud or two into making the trek with me. Years ago, back in my ski instructor days I used to day trip/comp pass it to Mt Snow at least 2 days a week.

..but I hit a few real good golf shots today and took the dog for a nice run....

Nice TR, you guys beat me to it......

again

rachelv

Website
www.mountainreviews.com
We were there today as well. Funny, I tried out my new women's Scratch BC's for the first time and was similarly impressed. Way better on the hardpack than I was expecting.

Overall, some of the best early season conditions I've ever skied this time of year. We spent the morning on the Summit chair then headed over to Nitro in the afternoon just to mix it up. Missed Chute as well, but I'm not a big fan of whalebacks, anyways, so I don't feel too badly about it.

I'll have some pictures up in a few hours... will post a link once I get them uploaded.

Update: Here they are.

Last edited:

Newpylong

I am glad to see conditions were equally good yesterday as opening day.

FYI they were running the Summit Express slower than normal to limit uphill capacity (I asked the lifty when I noticed the same). When at regular speed even though its as old as dirt it runs as fast as the others there.

Good stuff!

This past weekend was my first time ever at Mount Snow and I was impressed with the mountain. In the past I typically skied Northern VT mid-late season and Okemo/Stratton/Killington early season. I feel that Mount Snow is steeper than Okemo and Stratton..that's not saying much but it's a shorter drive from me here in PA. I imagine Mount Snow is a bit of a zoo mid season though due to it's proximity to the megalopolis. It's too bad I left before they opened the north face..the pictures from the website of the whales looked sa weet. I'm sure we'll see some pictures and video this evening from todays AZ day. Heading into Thanksgiving..Mount Snow could be in the best shape of all the VT mountains.

Newpylong

I think the driving factor for me being a passholder there (outside of proximity) is atmosphere and just enough terrain to keep me occupied. I find that their wide open cruisers have a lot more character than those of Okemo and Stratton, and seems to have more continuous vert... The North Face certainly offers more challenge than either of those two, and most importantly the clientel tends to be very friendly and generally always enjoyable to be around, even in liftlines. The one thing they have been lacking is the money to make badly needed snowmaking improvements to remain competitive, but now this seems to be on the way to certainly being resolved. After this weekend, Mount Snow is back on the radar for many people, which is a good thing.

skiadikt

I think the driving factor for me being a passholder there (outside of proximity) is atmosphere and just enough terrain to keep me occupied. I find that their wide open cruisers have a lot more character than those of Okemo and Stratton, and seems to have more continuous vert... The North Face certainly offers more challenge than either of those two, and most importantly the clientel tends to be very friendly and generally always enjoyable to be around, even in liftlines. The one thing they have been lacking is the money to make badly needed snowmaking improvements to remain competitive, but now this seems to be on the way to certainly being resolved. After this weekend, Mount Snow is back on the radar for many people, which is a good thing.

while i doubt i'm switching to mt snow fulltime. i was very impressed with their on-hill achievements. those fan guns are great. terrain is definitely very good. mostly continuous vertical. i wore myself out doing laps on those quads. guaranteed next weekend at k, i'll quit not because i'm worn out but because i'll probably be afraid for my well being and also because standing in 10-15 min liftline to ski rime/east glade will get tired quickly. at this point, in terms of terrain, i'm convinced that early season, there's no way k can compete w/ mt snow interms of long continous vertical serviced by fast lifts. btw the main lodge which looks like it recently underwent a facelift was very nice. i'm sure it's a madhouse between 11:30-1:30 peak season, but it seemed very comfortable this weekend.