• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

East Kennebago Maine 3/4/07

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked: 3/4/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Logging Roads, County Border, Bushwhack

Total Distance: 11.6

Difficulty: Moderate – Hard (Long)

Conditions: Between 4” – 12” (some places even more) of new snow. Relatively warm out too

Special Required Equipment: Snowshoes

Trip Report:

Pamola and I Arrived at the Trailhead on Rte 16 at about 8:45. Much to our pleasant surprise MTNRUNR was driving by and spotted us (we knew he’d be in the area). So he decieded to join us!

The approach was long and relatively flat. At Mile marker 3, we took a left turn and started the trail breaking phase. Snow gradually got deeper and heavier as we progressed.

The trail broken out by the 6 pack team the week before was still visible for the most part (it was a bit hard to see on some of the logging trails, but it the woods it wasn’t too bad).

Took us 4 hours to reach the summit and about 2:30 – 2:45 or so to get back to the cars.

Nice meeting MTNRUNR! It was a erratic day weather wise (sun then snow!) the views were occasional but good when the snow clouds would break away from the 4000 footers. Maximum snowdepth I measured was 4’ 4”.

More full Trip report and pictures are here: http://hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/ME/EastKennebago070304/

P3040130_t.jpg