• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eating Lunch at your Desk

Do you eat lunch at your desk?

• Always

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Never

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I don't eat lunch at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Do you? or do you formally take a lunch break?

I probably eat at my desk three out of five days. I read today that only 1/3 of people take a formal lunch break.

Nice days I will try to get out but usually I run some errands or something, post office / bank / home depot / whatever.

ctenidae

My office buys lunch to order in, and caters Friday lunches. We also get free dinner, but it doesn't get delivered until 7. It seems like a perk, until you realize it really just locks you to your desk.

Glenn

I'm eating at my desk right now.

BRB: Dan Egan is on line 2.

Warp Daddy

When i worked i never ate in my office , Always made it a point to either eat in the faculty dining room or often would host a table of students in a private dining room at the college.

Oft times i'd just wander into the dining hall and sit among the students . Always felt it was important that the Pres or dean be visible and NOT remote and often gave anyone a chance to ask questions both Directly and Informally and GET an answerand also see me as just human not some austere figurehead

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I like to be different :). I eat at my desk during work and then go out for lunch break. Latest thing has been working lunches. Lunch is my time, can't let them forget it.

gmcunni

always eat lunch @ desk unless i have a vendor meeting where they are taking me out or some rare occasion to celebrate something in the office (when i actually worked in an office)

SkiFanE

Depends. If I'm cutting out early, I'll just gobble something down at my desk. But normally my work buddy and I take lunch together in the cafeteria. Last week she was on vacation, so I ate at my desk most days and then took long walks afterwards, being cooped up in a gray cube for 7 hours is not good for one's soul :)

Although today I'm cutting out early , but still took a leisurely lunch in the cafe lol. Guess it depends on workload too.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, sometimes I will come in a little later or leave a little earlier and those days I almost always eat from the desk.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Snacks I eat at my desk. But if I had a sandwich or something I usually take a formal break. I work in guest services though so it isn't really appropriate to be stuffing my face at my desk.

snowmonster

When i worked i never ate in my office , Always made it a point to either eat in the faculty dining room or often would host a table of students in a private dining room at the college.

Oft times i'd just wander into the dining hall and sit among the students . Always felt it was important that the Pres or dean be visible and NOT remote and often gave anyone a chance to ask questions both Directly and Informally and GET an answerand also see me as just human not some austere figurehead

Seems like we're in the same line of work. I feel the same way about faculty-student contact: it's important to be accesible and not remote. I usually host a luncheon at the faculty dining room and structure it around a current topic. It starts off as an informal conversation and we only get to business at coffee and dessert.

As for my eaing habits at work, my staff and I usually eat lunch together. It's a good way to catch up with each other and they actually like it (their idea). Work may get discussed but for the most part, I keep it light and jovial. It's been a good morale and efficiency booster.

ScottySkis

I always eat out at work, no desk or breakroom. And if you try to eat lunch at my job then coworkers will keep giving work even if you say your on your lunch break, and boss makes every one who is office worker salary (not me i ship and paid hourly) work from 9am to 630pm and lots of times latter.

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Seems like we're in the same line of work. I feel the same way about faculty-student contact: it's important to be accesible and not remote. I usually host a luncheon at the faculty dining room and structure it around a current topic. It starts off as an informal conversation and we only get to business at coffee and dessert.

As for my eaing habits at work, my staff and I usually eat lunch together. It's a good way to catch up with each other and they actually like it (their idea). Work may get discussed but for the most part, I keep it light and jovial. It's been a good morale and efficiency booster.

You are right on target SM . Glad to hear that you are practicing" leadership by wandering around" and catching folks in their environment .

Great morale builder Snowmonster and pays HUGE dividends too !! I always let OTHERS determine whatever we talked about and really believe in keeping it light -hearted . That said it often generated some seriously wonderful ideas and was an effective RUMOR stopper . They all had direct access to 'the Old man" :D

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Working in a small office, we have to take turns taking lunch--sometimes, that means working straight through and leaving work early, though that's not usually on purpose. If I get hungry and it's not time for me to go yet, I will eat at my desk (plus I tend to eat breakfast and snacks there). But for the most part, I take my hour and remove myself from my workspace. Otherwise, I'd get no break.

SkiFanE

As a carpenter on a job site, you make any kind of seat you want, an upside down bucket, whatever, and sit still and eat. A half hour, resting and shooting the bull. Then back at it. All too many times, I've seen men claim they don't stop working so they want to get paid for lunch break. But they stand by their saws and eat for 15-20 minutes shooting the bull, not working, they've actually stopped producing. So we are paying them for that unproductive time, and they don't get rested so they can produce better after lunch.... We had to put a stop to that. You take lunch. This is a physical job. we want you to get a refreshing break so you can go at it again this afternoon.

My dad had a contracting business and I worked with him starting at 14yo. I loved lunch breaks, always a fun time, highlight of the day

ERJ-145CA

Some days I'll eat lunch in my office:
EMB-145_flight_deck.jpg

It just depends if I have enough time between flights.