• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I went to my local Borders at lunch today. They didn't have the book in stock. I guess I will have to order it online.
not surprising. iirc, the publisher is "authorhouse" which is a self publishing type vendor that doesn't accept returns from bookstores and is small potatos, not something the average bookseller would be interested in carrying as part of regular stock. mr. dipiro was smart to market this title strongly online and direct people to an online bookseller like amazon.com which can more readily absorb POD and custom jobs. borders or any other bookseller would likely do a special order for the title if they don't carry it in their regular stock.

Grassi21

not surprising. iirc, the publisher is "authorhouse" which is a self publishing type vendor that doesn't accept returns from bookstores and is small potatos, not something the average bookseller would be interested in carrying as part of regular stock. mr. dipiro was smart to market this title strongly online and direct people to an online bookseller like amazon.com which can more readily absorb POD and custom jobs. borders or any other bookseller would likely do a special order for the title if they don't carry it in their regular stock.

yup. i just ordered it off of the authorhouse site.

Grassi21

Just received my copy of Dan's book today. I sat in my office and read the first 3 chapters.

Grassi21

Grassi, the book said to read the first 7 chaps before you do anything!

lol. True. I read chapters 4 - 7 last night. I'll do a little reread tonight and probably Thursday night if I do hit Hunter on Friday.

Great book BTW. It is short, easy to understand, and has good diagrams.

Goblin84

yeah, it is a solid book. I have a copy floating around back home somewhere. Everything is explained very well. I like how he tells you proper technique and then how/why it actually improves your skiing. I often feel like that annoying 6 year old that always asks "why?"

jack97

I'll do a little reread tonight and probably Thursday night if I do hit Hunter on Friday.

Great book BTW. It is short, easy to understand, and has good diagrams.

Dan did a great job of getting to the point, explaining how its done and why it works (without burning alot of wood). IMO other ski books retread the same thing over and over again.

One thing I would add, for the A&E, look for areas to practice this. Over at Bretton Woods, they have trails with water pipes or stream run outs that cut across the trail, my daughter and I was practicing the absorbtion, to her surprise she felt the reduction in speed. Some times riders will have kick outs at the side of the trails to launch themselves, another place to practice.

Grassi21

Dan did a great job of getting to the point, explaining how its done and why it works (without burning alot of wood). IMO other ski books retread the same thing over and over again.

One thing I would add, for the A&E, look for areas to practice this. Over at Bretton Woods, they have trails with water pipes or stream run outs that cut across the trail, my daughter and I was practicing the absorbtion, to her surprise she felt the reduction in speed. Some times riders will have kick outs at the side of the trails to launch themselves, another place to practice.

I was planning to take some runs through the terrain park when its quiet. All those little mounds right before the rails seem like a good place to practice absorption. Not to mention I would like to get comfortable getting little bits of air. At this point the only air I get is not on purpose. :spread:

JimG.

Staff member

This is why low angle bump fields are so important in the learning process. But alot of the ski population today just seem to not care about bumps and want their corduroy. So low angle bumps are a low priority for most resorts.

jack97

This is why low angle bump fields are so important in the learning process. But a lot of the ski population today just seem to not care about bumps and want their corduroy. So low angle bumps are a low priority for most resorts.

Yeah, I hear ya. I was very disappointed with Wachusetts when they didn't seed bumps on a milder pitch at the mid mountain trails. Past three season, they seeded only the 10th trail, analogous to learning to swim by being pushed into the lake. That's why I have to give props to Sunapee for seeding moguls on trails with milder pitch.

On a side note about corduroy, my daughter was getting nervous going over the snow cover water pipes at BW, she was getting to much air and later would skid to a stand still before going over the pipes. Once I saw that, it was a great opportunity to show her absorption. Afterwards, she wasn't intimidated with terrain that had 3d affects.

Greg

Staff member
This is why low angle bump fields are so important in the learning process. But alot of the ski population today just seem to not care about bumps and want their corduroy. So low angle bumps are a low priority for most resorts.

I like to believe this thinking is shifting the other way.Our mighty Sundown is a good example with their seeding of some low-angle bumps to practice on.

JimG.

Staff member
I like to believe this thinking is shifting the other way.Our mighty Sundown is a good example with their seeding of some low-angle bumps to practice on.

There are a few (skiers and resorts) willing to keep the flame burning.

God bless us all!

Goblin84

I have been having a hard time finding low angle bumps around. Of course I have only just recently been getting into skiing the bumps so they could have been there before but i just didnt pay attention :p

jack97

I got too much time on my hands with the broken bone.....

FWIW, seems that Dan has been updating and responding to his blogs. Gives thanks to Greg for his review at Amazon.

Might be a good opportunity for questions.

http://www.mogulskiing.blogspot.com/

Greg

Staff member
This thread deserves a "bump" from time to time.

Sky

re: deserving a bump. Well, it worked on me Greg. Now I'm considering where I can find those low-speed learning fields.

Could be an interesting SKi season for me coming up. I've had "drop-off duty" for my daughter (and previously the boys) for what seems like a lifetime. We are considering an alternative that would eliminate that requirement...which means early starts for mid-week trips.

If this works out...I'll be looking for those low-speed bump fields. WHos got that quote under their avatar (or wahtever)...If you don't do it this year, you'll be a year older when you finally do it."

Greg

Staff member
re: deserving a bump. Well, it worked on me Greg. Now I'm considering where I can find those low-speed learning fields.

Not sure where in So. central Mass you are, but any interest in heading south this season? There's been some talk about a few guys up your way hitting Sundown this season...