• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah not really the best ot read on a actual e-ink Kindle though on account of the pics, but on the web reader or an tablet device it'll work well

MEtoVTSkier

Re-bump (no pun intended :lol: )

Now on Kindle for $3.19 (can you tell I was excited)

Good job Nick, I grabbed a copy too, this afternoon, although I wasn't thinking about the graphics on my Kindle Keyboard. If I can't see them well enough, then I'll have to try the web reader method.

I never attained a decent grasp of mogul skiing when I was younger so hopefully this will allow me to get up to at least a basic skill level that will allow my 40something legs/knees to safely descend an easier bump run.

Were ya just looking for skiing/kindle books just a week or two ago? Find any other good ones?

emmaurice2

I can't stress enough how helpful the groomed run exercises have been. I've made more progress in the last few weeks than in the past few years. Yesterday was my first foray into low-angle bumps after doing the exercises, big difference! Still a long way to go, but it's starting to click.

Best $3.19 I've spent.

JimG.

Staff member
I can't stress enough how helpful the groomed run exercises have been. I've made more progress in the last few weeks than in the past few years. Yesterday was my first foray into low-angle bumps after doing the exercises, big difference! Still a long way to go, but it's starting to click.

Best $3.19 I've spent.

Glad to see Dan's book is still the gift that gives. One of the best instructional books ever.

I've been spending alot of time keeping my skis glued together this season. Not easy after years of hearing people yell "widen your stance". And it takes a surprising amount of strength to keep them glued together. But it has been clicking big time the last few weeks and for once I'm really happy where my skiing is right now.

Thank you Dan.

MadMadWorld

I was going to mention this as well. Super easy read. My only comment is it seems to be geared towards the already advanced groomer skier looking to bash the zipperline. However, I do feel a lot of DiPro's techniques could be adapted to more conservative bump skiing.

I take offense to a book being called that! jk. It has always been a generation thing but I am glad someone showed me how to teach this properly. Unfortunately, the instructors that are usually leading instructor clinics are the ones that got their level III certification 10 years ago. The turn plays an intigral role in mogul skiing but it is by no means the only piece or the most important. Teaching when to turn and how to use your poles is very important to first time mogul skiers. It gives them that familiar feeling of control.

What the author points out very clearly is that instructors generally don't know how to skiers to the next level. They generally can't do this because they were never taught the importance of flex, extension, toe pressure, using the angle of the mogul to control speed, etc.

I highly recommend this book for anyone looking to take their mogul skiing to the next level. I can only hope that a few of these instructors pick it up as well

SkiFanE

Glad to see Dan's book is still the gift that gives. One of the best instructional books ever.

I've been spending alot of time keeping my skis glued together this season. Not easy after years of hearing people yell "widen your stance". And it takes a surprising amount of strength to keep them glued together. But it has been clicking big time the last few weeks and for once I'm really happy where my skiing is right now.

Thank you Dan.

Never took the 'widen your stance' advice lol...at least of the thighs. IMO - concentrate on keeping your thighs tight together rather than your feet. That will bring your feet together like you're on a platform, but still keeps your feet far enough apart to keep from tripping on your brakes, bindings, etc. When I feel the bumps are taking control..sometimes if I concentrate on pushing my thighs together my control returns...(or straighten my back and suck in my abs to strengthen my core). Basically..when I feel I'm out of control there's just a few basics to focus on to get back into control (legs, back/abs, stance/balance). Or if my back starts really aching I know I'm not using my legs like I should...or vice/versa.

JimG.

Staff member
Never took the 'widen your stance' advice lol...at least of the thighs. IMO - concentrate on keeping your thighs tight together rather than your feet. That will bring your feet together like you're on a platform, but still keeps your feet far enough apart to keep from tripping on your brakes, bindings, etc. When I feel the bumps are taking control..sometimes if I concentrate on pushing my thighs together my control returns...(or straighten my back and suck in my abs to strengthen my core). Basically..when I feel I'm out of control there's just a few basics to focus on to get back into control (legs, back/abs, stance/balance). Or if my back starts really aching I know I'm not using my legs like I should...or vice/versa.

Agree about the thighs...when I focus on pressing the insides of my thighs together I find my feet naturally follow, but with enough two footedness to create solid balance and control.

jack97

I take offense to a book being called that! jk. It has always been a generation thing but I am glad someone showed me how to teach this properly. Unfortunately, the instructors that are usually leading instructor clinics are the ones that got their level III certification 10 years ago. The turn plays an intigral role in mogul skiing but it is by no means the only piece or the most important. Teaching when to turn and how to use your poles is very important to first time mogul skiers. It gives them that familiar feeling of control.

IMO1, the ski instructors back in the days knew how to kill it......

IMO2, modern day skis and what is presently emphasized in skiing with them has dumb down the way to ski bumps in general.

justjen

The book made an immediate difference for me too, though I still have a long way to go. I'm not sure if it's lack of discipline or just that I'd already been using some of the technique, but I was really bad about doing the groomer drills. :p

Thanks for the 'thighs together' tip, SkiFanE. I will definitely keep that in mind.