• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EVs - New Hampshire gets it right

BenedictGomez

eatskisleep

Ford's cut Lightning production and staffing multiple times since the last posts in this thread.

Lithium prices have plummeted.

RIVN at $10 a share, LCID < $3 a share, and TSLA missed it's sales estimate by nearly a whopping 15%.

Ford selling the Lightning at $15,000 below MSRP 😮

abc

It was the most predictable thing ever. Ignore your customer base at your own peril.
Traditional companies focus on their existing “customer base”. Tech companies create their own “customer base”

20 years ago, when cell phone came out with cameras, even I thought “who the hell needs a camera in a phone?” Well, less than 10 years later, no one under the age of 50 would be caught dead with a phone without camera!

Tesla is a tech company, which happen to make “car”. The same way as Apple and Google happen to make “phone”.

drjeff

It was the most predictable thing ever. Ignore your customer base at your own peril.
3 of my Mount Snow Ski friends (soon to be 4) have Tesla's. The 3 that have then now have about a dozen or so texts every weekend in out Ski group text thread about who got one of the (I think half dozen tops) tesla chargers at Mount Snow and when they can swap out with the others, every weekend...

Meanwhile, while it has increased our monthly electric bill maybe 10% or so, my wife and her Volvo XC90 plug in gas/electric hybrid, just hooks up her charger to an extension cord and plugs it into the outlet on our condo's front porch when she arrives on Friday night and she's back to a full charge for the 30ish miles her battery gets, without playing "charger roulette" during the weekend

deadheadskier

Staff member
Can't they hook up a power supply for their Teslas at their residence instead of using one of the public chargers? That's what 2 of my neighbors have done with theirs and they didn't suggest it was a big expense.

chuckstah

Can't they hook up a power supply for their Teslas at their residence instead of using one of the public chargers? That's what 2 of my neighbors have done with theirs and they didn't suggest it was a big expense.
Definitely not in most condo associations. Certainly not at mine. Private home owners most definitely. This is one of the biggest issues with electric vehicles.

cdskier

Definitely not in most condo associations. Certainly not at mine. Private home owners most definitely. This is one of the biggest issues with electric vehicles.
Yea...I don't see how that would even remotely work in my condo complex. Even what DrJeff's wife does today with running an extension cord for the plug-in hybrid wouldn't be easy in my complex. We don't have assigned parking spots and the distance from some units to the parking lot could be quite extensive.

drjeff

Yea...I don't see how that would even remotely work in my condo complex. Even what DrJeff's wife does today with running an extension cord for the plug-in hybrid wouldn't be easy in my complex. We don't have assigned parking spots and the distance from some units to the parking lot could be quite extensive.
We have 2 assigned parking spaces infront of our units in my condo complex. My wife (and one of our friends who also has the XC90 plug in hybrid) bought the $$ Volvo charging cord which they both plug into a heavy duty commercial grade extension cord to get them from the porch outlet to the charging cord to their cars.

Have a few condo owners in my complex who paid (apparently from what I heard) big $$ for a full EV charging station

Parking infront of our units for 2 cars, isn't an issue in my complex..Heck even a few years ago with the pervious owners when the next door to my unit owners operated theirs as an airbnb hub, if the renters parked infront of my unit, I'd just walk over, knock on the door, explain to the offenders the association rules, they'd apologize, move their cars to the overflow lot about 100 yards away, and often offer me an "apology" beer! Win - win!

chuckstah

Running extension cords to charge an electric vehicle is expressly forbidden in my complex. Like yours, there is no assigned parking either, and you are not allowed to install a charging station. It would be impossible anyway.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting. No issues with our condo complex. I have a hard time seeing an association have much of a reason to deny it provided there are assigned spots in front of your home.

BenedictGomez

Tesla is a tech company, which happen to make “car”.

Tesla is a car company, which happens to call itself a "tech" company to attain a higher earnings multiple.

Tesla does have great "tech", but calling themselves a tech company as they do is a facade. Hell, Lucid has what I would call substantially better "tech" than Tesla does, and yet the only reason they're not bankrupt is they have a never-ending money spigot from KSA.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

3 of my Mount Snow Ski friends (soon to be 4) have Tesla's. The 3 that have then now have about a dozen or so texts every weekend in out Ski group text thread about who got one of the (I think half dozen tops) tesla chargers at Mount Snow and when they can swap out with the others, every weekend...

Meanwhile, while it has increased our monthly electric bill maybe 10% or so, my wife and her Volvo XC90 plug in gas/electric hybrid, just hooks up her charger to an extension cord and plugs it into the outlet on our condo's front porch when she arrives on Friday night and she's back to a full charge for the 30ish miles her battery gets, without playing "charger roulette" during the weekend

Hybrids were the obvious way to go until a true energy transition could be built out & the necessary infrastructure in place, anyone with even a facile understanding of this market understands that.

So what happened?

Well, you see, hybrids use fossil fuels, so the eco-extremists & Climate Change gestapo used their lobbying power to push a political party in Washington DC for full EV or bust. So that's where the money & political pressure went. It wasn't their science, it was their religion. It's a shame really, and ironically if you're someone who cares about reducing fossil fuels usage, you should be angry about this. But most have no idea.

Last edited:

abc

Tesla is a car company,
Like I said, that’s like calling Apple a “phone company”, or NASA a “rocket builder”.

These entities create entire sectors previously non-existent and made them part of our life.

Tesla isn’t just a battery powered “car”. It has the capability to drive itself, i.e. take a person some place without having to call for a ride. Put another way, although we still call smartphone “phone”, majority of them are no longer being used to make phone calls any more. It’s a mini-computer, camera, personal health monitor roll into one.

Last edited:

trackbiker

Hybrids were the obvious way to go until a true energy transition could be built out & the necessary infrastructure in place, anyone with even a facile understanding of this market understands that.
I agree on that point to an extent. Most people aren't driving hundreds of miles every weekend like a lot of skiers do. The average trip is 7 miles round trip to work, the grocery store, pharmacy, etc. With 30 to 40 miles electric range most people would hardly every kick into the gas mode in a plug in hybrid. But it's there when they need it.
It didn't "make sense" to spend billions of dollars of 60's & 70's money to collect 11 pounds of moon rocks. But the technology created put the U.S. in the lead technologically and economically for the next 50 years. I still think it makes sense to invest in the technology. China is already selling more electric cars that any other country. Just like that flat screen TV that used to cost $3500 and is now $500, the cost of electric cars will come down too.

BenedictGomez

Just like that flat screen TV that used to cost $3500 and is now $500, the cost of electric cars will come down too.

Yes, but it's not just the higher costs, it's also the lack of infrastructure. Eventually it will come as you say.
Now that this sector has recently had its ass completely handed to it, I'm investing for the long-term.

1dog

Even with all the hype and incentive of some of top 50% of earners tax dollars - the market is speaking - and it doesn't want electric cars. Volvo pulled out completely, Toyota smartly stuck with hybrids, GM? How many Volts/Bolts do we see? Hertz returned 200K Tesla rentals, Fiskar is near bankruptcy, ELon stated last month that RIvian had maybe 6 quarters of cash left. . . . tires wear out at 12K miles, got towed the other day ( shifter on my '93 5 speed snapped!) Guy said he's towed quite a few - keeps a battery to help people open their doors/trunks because he's encountered a few who ran battery to dead - can't even access trunk or doors when that happens. Cannot pull up to a flatbed because wheels lock unless there is some power . . Its not viable, energy density is too low, and the weight alone is apparently ruining roads faster - one multi level garage - due to insurance rider - can't place EV's anywhere except bottom floor.

Still may be time to short the stock. . . .

skiur

How much more do EVs weight than an SUV or pick up truck that weighs 5000-7000 lbs? I see a lot more SUVs and PU trucks on the road than EVs so I gotta call BS on the weight issues.