• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EVs - New Hampshire gets it right

BenedictGomez

I believe the Tesla Cyber Truck is being marketed to current and former Pontiac Aztec owners.

I actually saw an Aztec on the road the other day. It was eons since I'd seen one given: A) The "newest" are like 20 years old B) They only ever made about 120k of them. It's considered one of the greatest failures in automotive history.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Your battery heater will kick-in, and that will reduce your effective range. They really need to be garage kept.

I was actually wondering about the lifespan of the battery over years.

I said I wouldn't buy an EV for the mountains, but that is not totally true.

This may be in my future:

It will be in a garage, but I was wondering if I could get away without heating the garage.

Smellytele

• Haha
Reactions: Edd

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
There is no question that being on the cutting edge, as a customer, is risky and expensive.

I bought a hybrid because generally I go for technology that is one generation behind.

Reactions: zyk

zyk

There is no question that being on the cutting edge, as a customer, is risky and expensive.

I bought a hybrid because generally I go for technology that is one generation behind.
I bought a hybrid so I didn't have to worry. Northern Maine or Wyoming I can find a gas station. Charger? It will get there maybe not just yet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting to hear some folks considering moving away from Hybrid. Is it the initial lower cost? Typically (not always) better acceleration in a standard ICE vehicle?

My last 3 assigned work vehicles were Toyota Siennas. The first two were V6, the third a Hybrid, which they all are now. It sure was nice jumping from a range of about 325 miles to 500+ on the same size tank. I didn't notice the steep drop off in winter performance, but certainly some.

I recently switched positions and don't carry as much gear, so I was downsized to an ICE only Highlander. Same size tank. Back to about 325 miles range. It's annoying having to fill up more frequently.

I think if I were to buy a vehicle today, it would probably be a Grand Highlander Max Hybrid. Not as many MPGs as their standard Hybrid, but much better acceleration.

I'm bullish on the future of EVs, but not ready to take the plunge yet. I would however consider replacing my wife's Alltrack with a full EV as she mainly does local driving and only puts about 11k miles per year on a car. But given that we both love manual transmissions, we will be keeping the VW until the wheels fall off.

abc

But given that we both love manual transmissions, we will be keeping the VW until the wheels fall off.
The “manual” shifting in modern cars shift way faster than traditional clutch activated manual shifting. Though it doesn’t have the same fudging “satisfaction”. Pure function over “feel”.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The “manual” shifting in modern cars shift way faster than traditional clutch activated manual shifting. Though it doesn’t have the same fudging “satisfaction”. Pure function over “feel”.

It's not about speed of shifting. I know a computer is faster than me. It's about managing the torque level where I want it. That a computer most definitely doesn't do as well as I can manually. And while paddle shifters can also do that , it's not as satisfying / fun as a third pedal.

A side benefit is reduced maintenance cost. The last manual I owned for my own personal use, I got 154k miles out of the original brake pads and rotors. Same car with an automatic and I'd have replaced the brakes 4-5 times over 154k miles.

Eventually I'll buy a toy car with a MT like a Miata to have fun with when our VW wagon dies and my wife has to buy an automatic for a daily driver.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Your battery heater will kick-in, and that will reduce your effective range. They really need to be garage kept.
I am wondering about lifespan of the battery, not the amount of range out of one charge.

It will be garage kept, just not sure how much I want to put into heating the garage.

AdironRider

It's not about speed of shifting. I know a computer is faster than me. It's about managing the torque level where I want it. That a computer most definitely doesn't do as well as I can manually. And while paddle shifters can also do that , it's not as satisfying / fun as a third pedal.

A side benefit is reduced maintenance cost. The last manual I owned for my own personal use, I got 154k miles out of the original brake pads and rotors. Same car with an automatic and I'd have replaced the brakes 4-5 times over 154k miles.

Eventually I'll buy a toy car with a MT like a Miata to have fun with when our VW wagon dies and my wife has to buy an automatic for a daily driver.

I mean, objectively you can't do anything better than the computers and modern automatics. Subjectively however they are much more enjoyable to use for sure.

The wear and tear argument is somewhat misplaced, that force is being transmitted elsewhere, like your clutch / transmission. Bringing a two ton vehicle to a stop doesn't absolve the laws of physics. One clutch replacement costs the equivalent of like 3-4 brake jobs on most cars, so its basically cost neutral.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I mean, objectively you can't do anything better than the computers and modern automatics. Subjectively however they are much more enjoyable to use for sure.

The wear and tear argument is somewhat misplaced, that force is being transmitted elsewhere, like your clutch / transmission. Bringing a two ton vehicle to a stop doesn't absolve the laws of physics. One clutch replacement costs the equivalent of like 3-4 brake jobs on most cars, so its basically cost neutral.

No and no.

If I want to hold the car at 4k rpms or whatever, I can control that. The CPU auto is gonna bounce around gears and drop rpms much more based on numerous factors and you don't maintain the same constant torque as manually controlling it. Objectively that CPU is more efficient and faster accelerating than me, but those aren't the parameters I'm talking about.

Your second point I might have agreed with in the 90s, but a modern clutch when driven properly is at no more risk of failing than an automatic. That same car that I changed brake pads at 154k had the original clutch working perfectly all the way up to selling the car at 180k miles. I've owned 5 MT cars in my life; only had to change 1 clutch. It was a mid 80s Accord and cost $750. 3 Mazdas and a VW since then and never had an issue.

AdironRider

Color me shocked you think you are the world’s greatest driver.

154k on brakes or saying a clutch is no longer a wear item is not realistic. No manufacturer is going to make those claims and they have a whole lot more data to back it up than your anecdotal internet claim.

Meanwhile in the real world, you can just admit it’s more fun. I think so as well.

Internet Ski Pro

No and no.

If I want to hold the car at 4k rpms or whatever, I can control that. The CPU auto is gonna bounce around gears and drop rpms much more based on numerous factors and you don't maintain the same constant torque as manually controlling it. Objectively that CPU is more efficient and faster accelerating than me, but those aren't the parameters I'm talking about.

Your second point I might have agreed with in the 90s, but a modern clutch when driven properly is at no more risk of failing than an automatic. That same car that I changed brake pads at 154k had the original clutch working perfectly all the way up to selling the car at 180k miles. I've owned 5 MT cars in my life; only had to change 1 clutch. It was a mid 80s Accord and cost $750. 3 Mazdas and a VW since then and never had an issue.
The new mega speed autos are so much better these days, i mean i kinda get your point, you control the shifts, but at the same time, why do you need to hold the car at 4000 rpms? i have an allison 10 speed in my work chevy, and i thought i would hate it, but its awesome. so smooth, you barely notice the shifts, there is hardly any rpm drop, in fact i would bet you have way more rpm drop in your corolla, and thats why you need to blast it down the road at 4000 rpms. oh, and when you let your foot off the gas, its pretty intuitive, and starts to downshift, based on incline, and whether or not your foot is on the brake, to were brake pressure is very light to stop it.

in my world, big trucks, autos are taking over. and i would rather put brakes on trucks rather than clutches, which suuuuuuuck to do. The autos are so good these days, i think allison warrants the biggest transmissions for like 150,000 miles or something ridiculous. Brake wear with an auto, with an engine brake extends brake life a lot. Plus, truck drivers are a thing of the past, guys with CDL's are what we have now.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Color me shocked you think you are the world’s greatest driver.

154k on brakes or saying a clutch is no longer a wear item is not realistic. No manufacturer is going to make those claims and they have a whole lot more data to back it up than your anecdotal internet claim.

Meanwhile in the real world, you can just admit it’s more fun. I think so as well.

Color me shocked, I said nothing of the sort and you're just being your typical asshole self.

Of course a car company isn't going to make claims on a wear item. I never said that. I said what my experience has been. By all means look at brake life and clutch data and make your own choices. I don't give a shit what you do or think about your driving preferences. You probably should apply the same thought process about mine.

Safe driving out there!