• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

EVs - New Hampshire gets it right

zyk

It's not about speed of shifting. I know a computer is faster than me. It's about managing the torque level where I want it. That a computer most definitely doesn't do as well as I can manually. And while paddle shifters can also do that , it's not as satisfying / fun as a third pedal.

A side benefit is reduced maintenance cost. The last manual I owned for my own personal use, I got 154k miles out of the original brake pads and rotors. Same car with an automatic and I'd have replaced the brakes 4-5 times over 154k miles.

Eventually I'll buy a toy car with a MT like a Miata to have fun with when our VW wagon dies and my wife has to buy an automatic for a daily driver.
There's just something satisfying about a manual. Borrowed my partners wife's manual civic and it was a blast despite having 276k on it. You mentioned alltrac and my mind went to Celica alltrac. Miss that one. Miss the miata as well. Anyway happy with the hybrid. Will be driving it to Colorado and beyond next week. Will report back when I return.

abc

If I want to hold the car at 4k rpms or whatever, I can control that. The CPU auto is gonna bounce around gears and drop rpms much more based on numerous factors and you don't maintain the same constant torque as manually controlling it. Objectively that CPU is more efficient and faster accelerating than me, but those aren't the parameters I'm talking about.
Question is IF you want to hold the engine at 4k rpm in the first place. Modern engine has a pretty decent performance curve. Drifting off a particular would have no impact on the performance. It becomes pointless to “hold the car at x rpm”.

In the end, “driving” has become more and more of a hobby rather than necessary skill. Computer can do better at it than most except those who seriously practice on their craft. So it’ll become such that only the enthusiast will bother driving, “for fun”.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Holding a consistent torque / rpms while driving up steep, snowy roads (think Bolton Valley Access road) or muddy back roads is much more effective with a MT than an AT; even modern ones. And when you do get stuck, you can feather and rock the vehicle to get yourself out easier. Why do you think most of road enthusiasts use MT Wranglers?

I have a 2024 Highlander with AT and a 2019 Alltrack with MT. I will take the Alltrack performance in those scenarios every time and it's because of the transmission.

You guys do and think what you want.

AdironRider

Most offroaders use automatics. Again, manuals are fun and people do prefer them, but not for any objective performance reason.

Signed - offroad Jeep owner with 10 Moab Jeep Safaris under his belt. Since anecdotal info seems to be more important to you.

Also, 2019 Alltrack has a torque curve basically as flat as Kansas from 2200-4500 rpms, so this argument of maintaining torque on a modern turbo motor doesn't hold water. Technically it actually has slightly less torque if you are driving up the Bolton access road at 4k plus.

18-TSI-MQB-STG1-unitronic.jpg

Last edited:

2Planker

There's just something satisfying about a manual. Borrowed my partners wife's manual civic and it was a blast despite having 276k on it. You mentioned alltrac and my mind went to Celica alltrac. Miss that one. Miss the miata as well. Anyway happy with the hybrid. Will be driving it to Colorado and beyond next week. Will report back when I return.
My wife learned on a stick in the 80’s, and drove a manual CRV when we met 20 years ago.
Now, I have 4 “hobby cars“ as she calls them, all sticks, and she definitely drives them all. And drives them well 👍
She took the Shelby to RI this weekend.

eatskisleep

Agree.

I'm not getting 500, but 400 and something. I can go from home to the Catskills and back on one tank. I don't really do that often but it allows me to buy all my gas in cheaper NJ.
I can get about 700 miles on a tank, 36 gallon tank, f150. Can’t do that in an EV. But imagine the range it could get if it was a hybrid?

Last edited:

1dog

I can get about 700 miles on a tank, 36 gallon tank, f150. Can’t do that in an EV. But imagine the range it could get if it was a hybrid?
Most have seen the tire cover on back of Jeeps - '5 speed shift pattern and the motto ' This vehicle has anti theft device'.
Best part of driving - taught all my kids - well ; almost- to drive sticks and purchased their 1st car as a standard - simple - 'males one pay attention'.

Can't be on the damn phone and there were no screens in those cars - another massive mistake. ( or was it?)

Saves ones brakes too.

Back to our show:

I like Elon too. . . . . but . . . . it's never gonna happen. . . . . ( replacement of ICE)

2Planker

Def makes you a better & less distracted driver.

Going to go look at the Last of the VW GTI's in a stick this week.
Has to be special ordered now. Not going to be available after the 2025 year

1dog

Just one step closer to autonomous driving. Tesla has the most advanced technology on that front- at least according to Cathie Wood.

Supposedly better than Googles Waymo?

Distracted driving drove me off in line skating for off-season workouts.
Too many ‘car breezes’ on my arms.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Sucks. Would love a Golf R with an MT

Internet Ski Pro

Holding a consistent torque / rpms while driving up steep, snowy roads (think Bolton Valley Access road) or muddy back roads is much more effective with a MT than an AT; even modern ones. And when you do get stuck, you can feather and rock the vehicle to get yourself out easier. Why do you think most of road enthusiasts use MT Wranglers?

I have a 2024 Highlander with AT and a 2019 Alltrack with MT. I will take the Alltrack performance in those scenarios every time and it's because of the transmission.

You guys do and think what you want.
I thought most off road enthusiasts used a manual for better low speed operation.....like autos kinda get hot just putting around with a load on them, but theres lots of ways to cool them.

i do get what you are saying with holding it in gear going up a hill, but you can manually shift really almost any automatic. Both my 2500 chevy and Tacoma i can shift manually, and do often in the tacoma, mostly to keep it from upshifting going down a particularly scary scary mountain road in the snow.
1713805481850.jpeg
My wife learned on a stick in the 80’s, and drove a manual CRV when we met 20 years ago.
Now, I have 4 “hobby cars“ as she calls them, all sticks, and she definitely drives them all. And drives them well 👍
She took the Shelby to RI this weekend.
i have 2 hobby cars myself, one stick, and one auto. if you told me to pick one, it would be auto, but i dont hate stick, until i get stuck in traffic on the highway. Rowing through the gears is kinda fun, but that really only goes so far with me. The nice thing about the manual car is i can leave the windows down, and practically leave the keys in it where ever i go. The percentage of people that could make that car go anywhere is pretty slim.

2Planker

I thought most off road enthusiasts used a manual for better low speed operation.....like autos kinda get hot just putting around with a load on them, but theres lots of ways to cool them.

i do get what you are saying with holding it in gear going up a hill, but you can manually shift really almost any automatic. Both my 2500 chevy and Tacoma i can shift manually, and do often in the tacoma, mostly to keep it from upshifting going down a particularly scary scary mountain road in the snow.
View attachment 62680

i have 2 hobby cars myself, one stick, and one auto. if you told me to pick one, it would be auto, but i dont hate stick, until i get stuck in traffic on the highway. Rowing through the gears is kinda fun, but that really only goes so far with me. The nice thing about the manual car is i can leave the windows down, and practically leave the keys in it where ever i go. The percentage of people that could make that car go anywhere is pretty slim.
We responded to an MVA and the guy had stolen the car and got it up to 65mph IN FIRST GEAR before it blew up getting on 95N.

Dude had engine parts and boiling oil all over himself. Firewall was paper thin.

There is definitely something to be said about these newer paddle shifted dual clutch autos.... man are they fast to change gears. makes sense, one clutch is always in the IN position, ready to go.

1dog

We responded to an MVA and the guy had stolen the car and got it up to 65mph IN FIRST GEAR before it blew up getting on 95N.

Dude had engine parts and boiling oil all over himself. Firewall was paper thin.

There is definitely something to be said about these newer paddle shifted dual clutch autos.... man are they fast to change gears. makes sense, one clutch is always in the IN position, ready to go.
problem with paddle shifters are on off ramps or sharp turns they aren't ergonomic. 1st one I had was going from a '05 Acura MDX 5 or 6 speed on shifter to an '08 - paddles - cumbersome and unnatural to the human ( and old) standard(s).

Most people can't read tachometers or were never taught how to read/use them. There is a reason Porsche places that smack in front of the driver, MPH to the side.

BenedictGomez

you can manually shift really almost any automatic.

I use engine braking all the time. TBH I think people who dont do this really dont know how to drive. Especially in the mountains, I couldn't imagine not knowing how to do this properly. If you get good at it and properly anticipate the terrain, you really dont use your brakes that much. And given I change my own brakes, and dislike changing brakes, it's important to me!

1dog

This is going to age like milk in the Sahara.
Germany disagrees:

( admittedly bias site): https://www.climatedepot.com/2024/0...s-country-floats-idea-of-weekend-driving-ban/

Imagine banning weekend driving? Coming to a ( destroyed) country near you . .

2Planker

problem with paddle shifters are on off ramps or sharp turns they aren't ergonomic. 1st one I had was going from a '05 Acura MDX 5 or 6 speed on shifter to an '08 - paddles - cumbersome and unnatural to the human ( and old) standard(s).

Most people can't read tachometers or were never taught how to read/use them. There is a reason Porsche places that smack in front of the driver, MPH to the side.
You need to go and drive a new Audi or Bmur - Both are lightening quick shifts !!