• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

F!!!!!!!!!! Emergency Water Heater Install

Grassi21

I got home around 8:30 last night and wifey told me there was water in the basement. I shut the water off and started moving some crap around and out of the water. Put in a claim with our home owners insurance. Clean up crew was here at 9:30 and vacuumed out the basement, ripped out a carpet, cut some sections of wall out. The plumber is here now and getting ready to start the water heater job. This is the last thing I needed going into the weekend. Oh yeah, the $1000 deductible sucks a fat one too. I will be putting down a lot of :beer: tonight.

Grassi21

yuck one of the reasons I don't want to own a home..

yuck is right. the clean up crew set up about 6 high powered fans and an enormous dehumidifier. the dehumidifier is about 5' tall. at least the insurance company will cover the clean up and the damage. the new water heater is coming straight out of my pocket. :-(

o3jeff

Sorry to hear that, but don't forget to put down the two home theater systems, computers and servers, vintage Ferrari, etc that you lost due to the water.

hammer

How old was it? Mine's getting close to 14 years old...been considering getting a new one put in before the current one breaks.

Stinks about the damage...hopefully you won't get hit with too much of an insurance premium increase.

Are you going with a tank or tankless heater?

Grassi21

Sorry to hear that, but don't forget to put down the two home theater systems, computers and servers, vintage Ferrari, etc that you lost due to the water.

ha ha. there honestly was a 32" tv down there. i'm afraid to plug it in to see if it works. my skis were the first thing i rescued from the basement.... then the MTBs

Grassi21

How old was it? Mine's getting close to 14 years old...been considering getting a new one put in before the current one breaks.

Stinks about the damage...hopefully you won't get hit with too much of an insurance premium increase.

the thing was a dinosaur. we have been putting off getting it replaced. i guess we put it off too long.

i wanted to go tankless but they would also have to put in another 220v outlet and add on to an already maxed out electrical box. but just updating the water heater itself should help with the electric bill.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
postpics.gif

wa-loaf

Replace it! I wouldn't trust a HW heater that's over 10 yrs old.

Bummer Grassi!

Grassi21

New water heater is almost in. Here are some pics...

Old piece of s....

IMG_4654.JPG

Those dark marks are from my foot steps. You couldn't tell the carpet was wet until you walked on it and the moisture in the pad bled through.

IMG_4650.JPG

This puddle is on the opposite side of the basement where the water heater was/is.

IMG_4647.JPG

Obligitory shot of my workshop with assorted ski and bike gear.

IMG_4666.JPG

The water seeped from area with the water heater, under this set of stairs, and out to the other side of the basement.... hmmm, this area could be great for growing some.... tomatoes!

IMG_4656.JPG

Grassi21

Ive never seen a stripper pole with rope on it:lol:

:lol: there are 2 more on the other side of the basement. we have some crazy parties up in my peace.

watch our for rope burn :eek:

Beetlenut

You might also be concerned with mold growing in a few months behind the walls and places you can't see that the water could. This happened at my place, and years later we were finding mold growing in the strangest places?! Good your insurance picked up the clean-up though.

Paul

Don't drink too much 'cos then you'll have to pee, and you might forget and flush the toilet and piss off the plumber, showering him with effluent, and he'll leave and you'll have no water heater and be sitting in a pool of diluted urine and stuff.

wa-loaf

Here is a little known fact ..Your suppose to inspect the anode installed in your HW heater every 3 years and replace it if a third of it has been used up .. as soon as the anode is gone your HW tank will be history..

what's an anode?