• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

chuckstah

Are they grooming it at all or just leaving it all moguls?

Leaving it. No grooming past 2 weekends. This is what they did years ago when June was routine. Once May comes around, let it ride. For my sake, I hope they groom next weekend, but for June turns, they are doing the right thing. I want to go tomorrow, but don't think I'll talk myself into going solo on a questionable day, as my friend's have already bailed. We all bailed today, regrettably.

Jcb890

Leaving it. No grooming past 2 weekends. This is what they did years ago when June was routine. Once May comes around, let it ride. For my sake, I hope they groom next weekend, but for June turns, they are doing the right thing. I want to go tomorrow, but don't think I'll talk myself into going solo on a questionable day, as my friend's have already bailed. We all bailed today, regrettably.
I think the wet weather is playing a part in it as well. It looks like next weekend's weather could be nice and dry, so I think they'll probably groom a cat-track or 2 wide with the nice weather. Just a guess though. I'll probably try to get up there next weekend myself.

Smellytele

Well, K was mostly sunny to start at 9 but quickly went to mostly cloudy. Great corn snow, not too wet mush with the clouds. Couple pics:
b380bbfcf8c27d2a03184cdc9b355490.jpg
71ede9de55eedbd44b0f2719e4f19d49.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
Went back to sunny around 1-1:30

machski

I think the wet weather is playing a part in it as well. It looks like next weekend's weather could be nice and dry, so I think they'll probably groom a cat-track or 2 wide with the nice weather. Just a guess though. I'll probably try to get up there next weekend myself.
They will not groom unless it gets cold enough or unless they have to start snowbridging the trail. Grooming when it is soft will kill any chance for June.

Jully

Well, I hope they'll groom for Saturday personally.

With temps near 90 on Thursday in the flatlands and Friday with lingering heat, I'd be surprised but I certainly don't want to presume that I know what management is thinking. I'm sure there's lots of people who want SS groomed and management knows that.

eatskisleep

With temps near 90 on Thursday in the flatlands and Friday with lingering heat, I'd be surprised but I certainly don't want to presume that I know what management is thinking. I'm sure there's lots of people who want SS groomed and management knows that.

I'd assume most of the people who ski at this time of year, can ski bumps, so wouldn't mind it ungroomed. Again, just my assumption.

Domeskier

I'd assume most of the people who ski at this time of year, can ski bumps, so wouldn't mind it ungroomed. Again, just my assumption.

the 100-day club love arcing mandatory giant slalom turns on fresh cord from opening bell until 9:15am before posting grades for the day on K-zone and eating parking-lot barbecue. K needs to cater to their core demographic...

dlague

I see they went to the Weekend only schedule? Makes sense for snow preservation and cost containment. I was looking at the web cam abd it is hard to tell whether they groomed it or not. They will groom it sooner or later but it never stays that way very long.

Jcb890

Being a snowboarder, I prefer it when they groom a cat-track or 2 wide path down so that there's at least a few runs I can do to start the morning without it being entirely bumped up. I also like how it progresses throughout the day and provides different paths and changes rather than just being bumped up the whole time.

Like I said, that's just me personally. I'm sure most of the guys on skis don't mind it not groomed for the most part.

I'll probably go this weekend either way, groomed or not. Saturday is looking nice as I look this morning.

dlague

Being a snowboarder, I prefer it when they groom a cat-track or 2 wide path down so that there's at least a few runs I can do to start the morning without it being entirely bumped up. I also like how it progresses throughout the day and provides different paths and changes rather than just being bumped up the whole time.

Like I said, that's just me personally. I'm sure most of the guys on skis don't mind it not groomed for the most part.

I'll probably go this weekend either way, groomed or not. Saturday is looking nice as I look this morning.
About 6 years ago, I went to Killington in May for my birthday. It was the year after I tore my ACL. While we had skied there two weeks prior when there were a few runs still open, I had never been when it was SS only. Two weeks prior the bumps were manageable. However, It had not been groomed for about two weeks and the bumps seemed huge. It was a work out and a half. Having to jump right into bumps from the get go was tough and being worried about my knee did not help. I had avoided bumps most of the season until spring skiing to protect it. That was a very interesting experience.

There is not much room at the S turn to groom and keep bumps IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

mister moose

the 100-day club love arcing mandatory giant slalom turns on fresh cord from opening bell until 9:15am before posting grades for the day on K-zone and eating parking-lot barbecue. K needs to cater to their core demographic...

34622464525_c33f7d14d0_b.jpgrsz_20170512_144916_8.jpg
That falls flat as either a joke or a criticism.

Jcb890

If they didn't groom it monday night, doubt they will now. Way too warm and soft to put a cat on it now to the weekend. Only if they absolutely have to (IE, the S at tower 3 gets really bad).

Why would they groom it Monday night when they're closed all week until Friday? Friday night into Saturday it looks like temps may drop below 40*. Not below freezing obviously which is what everyone would hope for, but not absurdly warm either like the next couple days.

The end of next week looks like it could be a wash-out, so they also may determine that they'll get more visitors this weekend with the nicer weather. As of now, next Thursday and Friday look like rain and 60's. Not sure about next weekend yet, too far out to show on the 10-day forecasts.

I reached out to them on their FB Messenger and they replied yesterday saying that they have yet to make a decision about grooming for the weekend.