• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite beginner runs in the east?

RH29

What are some of your favorite easier runs that, regardless of what the trail sign says, are always just a blast to ski? I'm not talking beginner areas - just long, enjoyable, greens/easy blue runs.

In no particular order, here's a few that came to mind:

-Great Northern and Great Eastern, at Killington
-Falls Brook (now known as Bear Cub), also at Killington
-Kokomo at Jay
-Mountain View at Catamount
-Chandler's Way to Stillness at Waterville
-Wand to Lower Redline at Magic

Andrew B.

At Sunday River the general feeling is Dream Maker is the best trail for a beginners.

Bear Paw and Lollapalooza have to be the hardest.

djd66

Jester (top to bottom) at Sugarbush. Probably skied it 1000 x with my wife and kids!

jimmywilson69

Is this the best trail for beginners or my favorite beginner trail?
Big difference...
Agree

I would say the best beginner trail for beginers would be snowshed at Killington. Constant pitch about 5 600 feet of vertical with a high speed lift.

I would go with either Great Eastern or Jester as my favorite beginner trail to ski. Which I do mostly with my wife.

cdskier

Is this the best trail for beginners or my favorite beginner trail?
Big difference...

Well this was the wording in the question by the author of this thread:
"What are some of your favorite easier runs that, regardless of what the trail sign says, are always just a blast to ski? I'm not talking beginner areas - just long, enjoyable, greens/easy blue runs."

So I interpret that as your "favorite beginner trail".

deadheadskier

Staff member
Favorite is Pole Cat by far

Best: Royal Tiger at Saddleback. Perfect pitch for beginners, wide and long. The South Branch area at SB is the best beginner pod I've seen in the East in general.

KustyTheKlown

What are some of your favorite easier runs that, regardless of what the trail sign says, are always just a blast to ski? I'm not talking beginner areas - just long, enjoyable, greens/easy blue runs.

In no particular order, here's a few that came to mind:

-Great Northern and Great Eastern, at Killington
-Falls Brook (now known as Bear Cub), also at Killington
-Kokomo at Jay
-Mountain View at Catamount
-Chandler's Way to Stillness at Waterville
-Wand to Lower Redline at Magic

i strongly disagree about great northern and great eastern. those are highways. fast skiers zip along using them to get from point a to point b on killington. they aren't isolated for beginners. snowshed slope is the quintessential killington beginner run, and then they progress to the greens on ramshead. those are top to bottom isolated green runs that arent used by any more experienced skiers as connection routes.

jimmywilson69

Great Eastern below the split with Bittersweet and then cruise control is much less heavily traveled. My wife loves skiing those long green runs. Hell she'll usually just lap that while I go ski the tough stuff!

I agree that from the top of Sky Ship through bittersweet is friggin dangerous.

skiur

i strongly disagree about great northern and great eastern. those are highways. fast skiers zip along using them to get from point a to point b on killington. they aren't isolated for beginners. snowshed slope is the quintessential killington beginner run, and then they progress to the greens on ramshead. those are top to bottom isolated green runs that arent used by any more experienced skiers as connection routes.

It was clearly stated that the question was what's your favorite beginner run to ski, not best run for beginners.

KustyTheKlown

The subject line says “best”, the post says “favorite”. You are indeed correct that those are very different questions. I’d say you’re incorrect tho re:clarity considering the title and the post don’t jive with one another

2Planker

Favorite is Pole Cat by far

Best: Royal Tiger at Saddleback. Perfect pitch for beginners, wide and long. The South Branch area at SB is the best beginner pod I've seen in the East in general.
Definitely Polecat
2nd would by Dreamaker

RH29

The subject line says “best”, the post says “favorite”. You are indeed correct that those are very different questions. I’d say you’re incorrect tho re:clarity considering the title and the post don’t jive with one another
I meant your favorite trail that's designated beginner, not things like Tuckerbrook or Snowshed.

KustyTheKlown

ya i got you.

and to answer that prompt - the boundary line top to bottom at stratton serves up 2000 vert of mellow cruisin. tho a bit run outty at the end