• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite beginner runs in the east?

oldfartrider

I’d take Polecat especially the top part and second would be Upper Mountain Road at Okemo because it’s seclusion and no intersections.

x10003q

ya i got you.

and to answer that prompt - the boundary line top to bottom at stratton serves up 2000 vert of mellow cruisin. tho a bit run outty at the end
The only Stratton boundry line that serves near 2000 vertical feet is on the Kidderbrook side from the top. The green Mike's Way/Meadows/Lower Wanderer side serves up around 1750 vertical feet. ;) Also, you are correct. Other than the flat spot past the bridge on Lower Wanderer, it is a great green run.

ceo

Jester for sure. I remember skiing it on a family vacation when I was 6 (the only trail I could ski from the gondola). I'll add America to Hudson Highway at Saddleback, and Tote Road at Sugarloaf.

djd66

I would agree with the "Traffic" issues on Great Eastern,... However back in the day when the Gondola went all the way to Killington Peak - I remember taking that trail all the way to the base (5 miles of skiing) - that was a blast! I've done it with my kids more recently and they still love it. I would also agree - it gets less crowded below snowshed crossover and more enjoyable.

chrisw

Bretton Woods has lots of nice greens - Sawyers Swoop; Outer Bounds to Avalon. Or really many of the blue runs could be considered green at other mountains- Crawfords Blaze, Coos Caper, etc.

Dream Weaver on South Face at Okemo is nice when it's open.

Closer to home, Ralphs Run at Wachusett is nice. Not 2000 vert, for sure though.

pinion

My favorites due to nostalgia are Beginner's Luck at Cranmore and Wild Kitten at Wildcat. I was taught on these trails, and I taught my kids on these trails.

My favorite beginner run that I can absolutely rip on is Polecat at Wildcat. 2nd place would be Long John at Mount Snow (midweek, non-holiday... naturally).

2Planker

My favorites due to nostalgia are Beginner's Luck at Cranmore and Wild Kitten at Wildcat. I was taught on these trails, and I taught my kids on these trails.

My favorite beginner run that I can absolutely rip on is Polecat at Wildcat.
aka home of the 100K Challenge

BodeMiller1

Tuckerbrook at Cannon, It's fun to lap when no one's around. There are some small jumps that are challenging if you straight like line the trails.

A good deal of Sunday River can be skied by anyone with a pulse They build some of the best jumps in the business. They mark them well with spray paint and flags. Great cruizing Hill...

flakeydog

I 2nd (or 3rd, or whatever) on Walt's at Sugarbush.

Then Snail at Mad River. Basically anything marked green at MRG is more fun and interesting than beginner terrain most other places.

Proctor at Middlebury is great (though it is a blue) but Lang, Wissler and Voter are great green trails there.

jimk

Another vote for Polecat at Wildcat as the very best green circle in the East. It's long, curvy, undulating, and scenic.
1091421956_wildcat.jpg

The combo of Upper Antelope (blue square) and Broadway (green circle) from the top of the single chair at MRG is a nice easy run with tight curves and good scenery.
1263861722_pic2.jpg

The Wilmington trail at Whiteface is a blue square but pretty easy and with views of Lake Champlain off in the distance. Taking it from the top of Lookout Mountain (somewhat removed from the main mountain) to the Whiteface base area provides 2,780 vertical feet of cruising.
wilmington trail at whiteface.jpeg

Closer to my home in the mid-Atlantic I think one of the best green circle runs is at Canaan Valley ski area in WV. It's called Timber Trail. It's longish for the mid-A and has a decent, consistent green circle pitch.
This isn't Timber Trail, but it's a similar nearby trail at Canaan Valley ski area.
canaan valley.jpg

Attachments

• wilmington trail at whiteface.jpeg
    wilmington trail at whiteface.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 2

WoodCore

I've always been a fan of Churchill Downs @ Stratton. The perfect pitch/width to lay down some serious arcs. It's very quiet and underused since the six packs went in and Kidderbrook was removed. Don't mind the run out.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Sherburne Base area at Burke. It’s a separate area with its own HSQ. Nice runs and nice views.

Newpylong

Any area that has both the topology and the vision to build an absolutely dedicated novice area is great in my mind... Sunapee, Burke, Saddleback, Ragged, Killington come to mind. It's an often overlooked demographic and it's how people get into the sport.

BodeMiller1

As far as polecat, I've brought a beginner down that trail with some other friends. It's too long. My buddy couldn't handle the length. Same guy climbed Tuckerman Ravine to the top in jeans. At least he pulled out a credit card to take a van down the mountain. A lot of beginner terrain has a slope with an uphill at the end. Terrain build learning area.
It doesn't matter how old the person is one bad experience and they can be scared for life.
Meow