• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Glade? (See Rules)

MadMadWorld

I don't know how you can call a trail 20-30 feet wide (wider in many places) a glade. The trees in FallDice area are neither Fall Line nor Paradise, thus the nickname combining the two areas. It is one big tree skiing zone, but Fall Line proper is a trail all the way with tree shots branching off for those interested. I don't think any trail that allows you to ski a 20-30 wide area without skiing between trees should be considered a glade.

You're right most of Fall Line is not gladed but if you enter Fall Line from Chute, it immediately drops you into super tight trees without really cutting into Fall Line proper at all. People get scared shitless of that entrance because it's so deceiving.

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It sounds like you are referring to the entrance below Stark's Nest as opposed to hiking to the proper trail start. As I recall, there is a traverse into Fall Line that way. The trees next to Chute are decidedly not Fall Line. Here is a trail map showing that lower entrance/connection in better detail (and it also shows Fall Line as a clearly defined trail).

I could definitely see those Chute trees scaring someone without the ability to ski them. I made that mistake many years ago. Now they are one of my favorite spots on the mountain when it is untracked. Now, I wouldn't even consider them super tight... but when I ended up in there by accident many years ago, they were way more than I could handle.

Also, you can't get to FallDice from the Chute entrance without crossing Fall Line proper so I am not sure why those trees are even being brought up.

MadMadWorld

It sounds like you are referring to the entrance below Stark's Nest as opposed to hiking to the proper trail start. As I recall, there is a traverse into Fall Line that way. The trees next to Chute are decidedly not Fall Line. Here is a trail map showing that lower entrance/connection in better detail (and it also shows Fall Line as a clearly defined trail).

I could definitely see those Chute trees scaring someone without the ability to ski them. I made that mistake many years ago. Now they are one of my favorite spots on the mountain when it is untracked. Now, I wouldn't even consider them super tight... but when I ended up in there by accident many years ago, they were way more than I could handle.

Also, you can't get to FallDice from the Chute entrance without crossing Fall Line proper so I am not sure why those trees are even being brought up.

I am talking about the entrance below Starks. And if it wasn't part of Fall Line then why is there a sign that says Fall Line right at the entrance? The entrance looks so inviting and it knocks you on your ass when you see those trees in front of you. Even now it kind of shocks me how that trail changes so quickly. It's the Mad River Glen charm!

Big Game

As long as there is not too much snow. You know, it can really slow me down. Trees + steep + boilerplate + monoski + mom jeans = heaven. I also like when I am being chased by incompetent CCP henchmen. Even though I could totally murder them with my bare knuckle sandwich if I cared enough. That's the level of my integrity.

kickstand

You're right most of Fall Line is not gladed but if you enter Fall Line from Chute, it immediately drops you into super tight trees without really cutting into Fall Line proper at all. People get scared shitless of that entrance because it's so deceiving.

Count me among the scared shitless. Well, not scared, frustrated was more like it. My buddy took me in there a couple seasons ago and it took me forever to get out. Snow was pretty deep and I was only linking together 2-3 turns at a time. Just not pretty. The next day, when he and another guy hiked up to the proper entrance to Fall Line, I bagged and took Antelope down. Few days later, I saw a YouTube video of Fall Line proper and was pissed I didn't make the hike up. It was nothing like what I had skied the day before. That area between Fall Line and Chute is tough.

Downhill Threads

Website
www.downhillthreads.com
totally agree... impossible to choose. If there's fresh powder and trees then it's my new favorite trail. But I'll go with 'every glade' at Jay for my favorite in the East. And "In The Spirit" in Whistler. When there are warning signs for bears you know it's going to be a good run.

skiberg

A few of my favorites, in no particular order:
1. Kinsman- Cannon
2. West Drain, Telluride
3. Blue Sky Basin, Little Ollie & Heavy Metal- Vail
4. L'ecureuil- Mt. Orford
5. Wildcat face/ Bowl - Alta
6. Throbulator & Dixieland- Burke
7. Black Bear Glade- Beavercreek
8. Lynx, Upper Glades - MRG
9. Sheer Bliss, Silver Basin - Silver Mountain, ID
10. Double Take, Not Too Shaby- Ragged, NH

Tin

This thread has made me determined to hit MRG and Cannon this winter.

Everglade at Jay
Why Not at Stratton. - My dad and I were there and asked one of the staff about the most difficult trail there. The old timer laughed and suggested we go find "Why Not". Never mentioned there was an 4-10' cliff that spans the entire width of the glade lol

4aprice

Why Not at Stratton. - My dad and I were there and asked one of the staff about the most difficult trail there. The old timer laughed and suggested we go find "Why Not". Never mentioned there was an 4-10' cliff that spans the entire width of the glade lol

3 years ago my son and I hit Stratton the weekend after a significant storm in late February. We found Kidderbrook Gully and Freefall Gully and hit them over and over again. Really fun woods at Stratton when the snow is nice. So much depends on conditions of a particular day.

Out west I'm a big fan of BCC and Solitude and Brighton. I use Brighton when it is snowing because they have some protected areas and I find the visabilty the best. Plenty of tree shots off Snake Creek and even Crest Express. It can get quite nasty out in the open. When its a clear powder day Solitude has Honeycomb Canyon. One side bows out with a traverse and open area shots, the near side is great tree shots. It can be accessed from quad to the top of old Powderhorn or even shorter shots from the Eagle Express. Two seasons ago when they had that record year they were just unbelivably good. (everything was).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Last edited:

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Upper Glade @ MRG - Love the entrance, great spacing and many options
Gazelle Glades @ MRG - awkward entrance means pretty good snow
Bonaventure @ Jay - Low angle but often holds good snow, easy to establish a nice rhythm
Timbucktu @ Jay - Steep, long, and offers great access to out of bounds terrain
Kitz Woods @ Jay - Steep and tight, with a hidden entrance that usually gives some freshies when it's skied out elsewhere
Blind Ambition @ SR - Off a green trail so it doesn't get lots of traffic

Lots more, but they aren't on the maps so I can't vote for them.

glorth2

It looks like some of you have a lot more experience than I do but:
I really like Everglade and Staircase at Jay.
Timberwolf and Bushwhacker at Keystone.
Like, all of Heavenly. ;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Surprised by the Glade at MRG votes. I don't recall ever having what I would consider a good run through Upper Glade. I think it gets a lot of traffic due to its location and being the easiest of MRG's on map glades to get to and ski.

MadMadWorld

Upper Glade @ MRG - Love the entrance, great spacing and many options
Gazelle Glades @ MRG - awkward entrance means pretty good snow
Bonaventure @ Jay - Low angle but often holds good snow, easy to establish a nice rhythm
Timbucktu @ Jay - Steep, long, and offers great access to out of bounds terrain
Kitz Woods @ Jay - Steep and tight, with a hidden entrance that usually gives some freshies when it's skied out elsewhere
Blind Ambition @ SR - Off a green trail so it doesn't get lots of traffic

Lots more, but they aren't on the maps so I can't vote for them.

I have to agree, I am not a fan of either Upper or Lower (especially) at MRG. Lower is at a bad angle and tends to get hit with a ton of wind. Snow in Gazelle is nice because of the amount of traffic and sunlight it gets. Kitz Woods is great too because most people shy away from the entrance but once you get in there it really opens up. It is usually the last glade to close every year.

BenedictGomez

Kitz Woods is great too because most people shy away from the entrance but once you get in there it really opens up.

You just hit the nail on the head of how a lot of the "best woods" bits of Jay Peak are IMO. Some of the best spots are places where it doesn't even look like there is an entrance. lol

MadMadWorld

Anyone have their own pics of their favorite glade? Here are a few of mine...

Unknown.jpg

Undisclosed location in Paradise @ MRG

photo.jpg

View from the rock in Black Hole @ Smugglers Notch

bdfreetuna

double Paradise... Looking up Paradise @ MRG, and Looking down the area past Paradise @ Sugarbush

Attachments

• Paradise1.jpg
    Paradise1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Paradise2.jpg
    Paradise2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 175

skiNEwhere

Bump

East coast:
Paradise at MRG
Last tango at Sunday River
I used to lap the spring fling triple as a kid to ski Eden as well. Really liked the low angle trees

West:

Vail- Champagne glade (in blue sky basin)Average black diamond steepness but it has the trees spaced far enough apart where there are good bumps formed and you can ski the trail at a descent speed
Shaft at Mammoth
The Windows at Breck