• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Glade? (See Rules)

pcampbell

never skied gazelle glades, will have to check it out.

I always enjoy Ferret going over to upper glades though.

xlr8r

The entire Ravine are of Ragged is my favorite. I really am not that good at Glades, so I mostly stick to easier ones

xwhaler

While not a super tight glade by any means I always enjoy a run down Doc Dempseys at Smuggs. Was a bit icy and bumped up today but always a must do when I'm on Madonna

bigbog

Casablanca(Saddleback)....as much as I get outside..on skis of late(lol).

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

While not a super tight glade by any means I always enjoy a run down Doc Dempseys at Smuggs. Was a bit icy and bumped up today but always a must do when I'm on Madonna

Cut over from FIS is the better way to get in. The top is almost always ugly. The woods to the left and right always holds great snow

MadMadWorld

never skied gazelle glades, will have to check it out.

I always enjoy Ferret going over to upper glades though.

Gazelle is way overrated. Unfortunately not much is listed on map. I consider Fall Line a glade because of the marked entrance at the top of Chute is almost exclusively trees. Partridge is great to for on map.

xwhaler

Skied Ferret this AM at MRG. Fun but the 2-3" of fresh last night gets chewed up fast exposing lots of ice on the bumps

Tin

Early in the year the top of Docs will be bare but the lower section off FIS will be covered thanks to FIS. Great early season glade skiing.

dlague

Just so I do not get pointed out as not picking some thing steep here is the question restated

Which is your favorite?

For me - I have a few at least the ones that stick out:
Timbuktu, Andre's Paradise, Everglade at Jay Peak
Devils Playground, Preacher and Wilderness at Bolton valley
Casablanca at Saddelback
Goffin Glade at Magic
Dixieland and the whole slew around Throbulator down to Y-knot at QBurke

I have to admit I mix up my day with cruising (30%), steeps (30-40%), some glades (20-30%) and a few bumps (10%). I look for fun in the trees and not for extreme!

dlague

Depending on how familiar you are with that area, you must have run across the Wet Slot in there at some point. :spin:

I have seen your video of it but do not think I could recognize it if I saw it! We are looking forward to getting back to Burke and ski that area more - especially since my wife is stepping up her game a bit!

BenedictGomez

Have never gone in that way but yes top of docs yesterday was in rough shape

I was there on Saturday, and the entire entrance looked pretty sketchy (steepish, icy, thin cover, exposed rocks, twigs etc...).

Once you got in it was fine though, and it definitely kept people out .

BeefyBoy50

West Coast- Ski Ways Glades at Heavenly off the Sky Express. This glade has got to be the size of some eastern ski areas- its freaking massive. You could spend an entire day in there and never ski the same tracks. Milky Way bowl/ Killebrew Canyon each deserve an honorable mention.

Snowbird has some fairly good trees, but being in Utah, its more about bowl skiing. However, the less popular parts of the mountain, off Gad 2, are some of the best tree skiing in the whole place. Black Forest and Thunder Bowl are the bomb.

East Coast:
I haven't gotten to ski too many of the eastern ski areas so I'll just list what I can think off.

I had a great time in the Cloudsplitter Glades at Whiteface last weekend, they held great snow even though there hadn't been a snowstorm in a while and the rest of the mountain was a little scratchy, the trees were well spaced, and it was steep enough to be exciting. Unfortunately Sugar Valley glades were not open to exploration.

Julio at Killington is a great run in that it seems to last for a very long time and it gets steeper throughout, so the final drop can be the best part of the run. Unfortunately I've only done it with little snow but even then it was awesome.

canobie#1

Devils den, the throne and low rider at K

I also like Karens dream and misbehavin at ragged

jimk

Favorite glades: my tree skiing skills are weak and my experience is thin, but wide. I'm an old guy who's been around and takes a lot of pictures, so here's an obnoxious and randomly ordered photo blast.
-Mont Sainte Anne, Quebec, The Black Forest, this is a pretty large area with about 1000' of vert, it gets considerably tighter and steeper just beyond sight, pretty St. Lawrence River backdrop.
msa black forest.jpg
-MRG, VT, Paradise, lots of mentions in this thread already
1263861784_pic3.jpg
-Aspen Highlands, CO, Hyde Park trees off Temerity Chair, it gets a lot steeper and tighter ahead, believe me, for about 1000' vert
Copy of DSCN0879.jpg
-Taos, NM, great place for steep trees, or steep anything, Castor Glade:
castor glade, taos.jpg
Goofed up on next pic, it is the extremely beautiful Castle Creek Trees, Sierra at Tahoe, CA
continued next post...

Attachments

• sierra castle creek trees.jpg
    sierra castle creek trees.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 49