• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fixed Grip or High Speed?

deadheadskier

Staff member
depends on the terrain it's accessing.

Would I trade Castlerock or the MRG single for a detach? hell no

Would I trade the Wildcat HSQ for a fixed grip? hell no

kcyanks1

depends on the terrain it's accessing.

Would I trade Castlerock or the MRG single for a detach? hell no

Would I trade the Wildcat HSQ for a fixed grip? hell no

Never been to Wildcat, but basically I'm with DHS. If it is not going to hurt conditions or ruin atmosphere (yeah, I realize "atmosphere" is very subjective), I prefer a HSQ. Obviously, for some shorter lifts, it's not worth it. But in a couple cases of longer lifts , like MRG and Castlerock -- especially MRG -- I think I'm happy with the fixed grip. Also, remember that peak lift capacity on a fixed-grip and high-speed are really not much different. A high-speed runs faster, but chairs are spaced further apart. If the lift is running at less than capacity (ski on), then you'll get more runs on a high-speed lift, for sure. I would say that if the fixed-grip ride is longer than 10 minutes, a high-speed is definitely appreciated.

deadheadskier

Staff member
. I would say that if the fixed-grip ride is longer than 10 minutes, a high-speed is definitely appreciated.

yup

really only 3 fixed grip lifts I can think of in New England that have longer rides than 10 minutes that I'm fine with. Castlerock, MRG Single and Madonna at Smuggs. Though the Smuggs lift I wouldn't mind if it was a fixed grip triple, so I can ride the singles line and not wait so long. :)

Edd

It really is situational. Wildcat's HSQ really is key to the way that place runs. At SR the Aurora and upper White Cap fixed grips seem perfectly adequate for the locations.

They can't replace Saddleback's main double with an HSQ fast enough for me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yup. Only been to Saddleback once, but agree, that lift should be a HSQ. Kennebago is fine as a fixed grip. Actually I was fine with it being a T bar when I went.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
As others have said, it all depends on the specifics. I actually look forward to Burke's HSQ but would hate to see one at places like MRG, Magic, or Smuggs.

I would trade the Wildcat quad to get the original Gondi back! I like the grip fixed unless its a vintage gondola.
This! And the Double. I think the HSQ should have replaced the Triple and the Double and Gondi should have been updated. I know from a business position that the HSQ replacing the Gondi made the most sense. The upper mountain trails just get so skied off due to the increase in uphill capacity.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Guess I can't compare the current Quad to the old gondola. My first time skiing Wildcat was only 5 years ago. I just love being able to access that much vertical in 6 minutes.

Geoff

I've written about this before but I like going to small western ski areas that have nothing but fixed-grip lifts. Monarch on the continental divide in Colorado is a favorite. I don't need 3,000 feet of sustained vertical and glitzy high speed lifts to have a good time. A rickety-old center pole double chair serving 1000 vertical feet of lightly used terrain is fine for me.

On New England manmade, snow preservation really doesn't matter so I'm fine with high speed lifts.

vcunning

I do like the ease loading on high speed lifts with my 4 year old. A fixed lift is harder for him than the terrain.

maineskier69

I am intrigued by the "newer concept" fixed grip with the conveyor loading system (haven't seen Shawnee's yet). A higher speed chair without the detatchable issues (wind sensitivity).
Also a proponent of keeping skier traffic limited to areas that are not designed for mass uphill capacity. The Castlerock double was a clsssic example. The chair needed to be replaced and was but the uphill capacity remained the same as the old chair with the speed and spacing of the chairs.

Glenn

I like the lift with the shortest line. Even if I'm moving slowly...at least I'm still moving.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I can't think of any reason I'd prefer a slower ride with the exception of something with sentimental value, like the MRG single.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I like the lift with the shortest line. Even if I'm moving slowly...at least I'm still moving.

I like whatever gets me to the top the fastest.

A 5 minute line with a 10 minute ride is faster than a 1 minute ride with a 15 minute ride.

drjeff

I can't think of any reason I'd prefer a slower ride with the exception of something with sentimental value, like the MRG single.

Back 15+ years ago, in my single days, if I happened to get paired up with a nice young lady (or ladies :) ) I was a big fan of a slow ride on a fixed grip chair! :) :) :)

Nowadays, as long as the lift has a comfy seat, I could really care less if it's a fixed grip or a high speed lift

deadheadskier

Staff member

This is true. At Stowe I'll take the double when the Quad is jammed. I'd rather be on a slow moving chair than standing around