• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Flags on the 48 September 9th 2006

SilentCal

Flags on the 48 September 9th 2006

On Sept. 9, 2006, the 5th annual "Flags on the 48" memorial hike to the summit of each of the 48 - 4,000 foot summits in New Hampshire, will take place in memory of those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.

The first hike was an informal and spontaneous memorial by a group of six hikers moved by the horrific and detailed images of the attacks. They raised a large American flag on the first Saturday after the attacks from the summit of Mount Liberty. The tribute has grown significantly each year since it began in 2001. In September 2004, for the first time since the event officially began, all 48 summits hosted Old Glory.

Word spread and now hundreds of hikers are involved; from Boy Scout troops and veterans’ groups to the every-day hikers. They make their way to the summits before noon paying tribute by flying the American flag for two hours. With humble honor some hikers share the photos of family members and friends tragically lost, exchange stories of personal experiences, play peaceful music and make quiet conversation with passing hikers. These Americans are bonded in the belief that taking to the mountains in remembrances of those who lost their lives continues to bring some solace in the wake of this atrocious violence.

Again this year, memorial hikers will pay tribute to all who lost their lives on September 11th 2001. Collectively imparting sympathy and respect to the families and loved one’s who still struggle with their grief.

More information for this event can be found at Flagsonthe48.org

Thanks to everyone who has particpated in the past and willing to help out with this year's hike. Any Questions, please feel free to pm me.

SilentCal

Yes, indeed signups are open and the response has been outstanding so far.

Thanks to all that participate.

Vortex

My son and I made an attempt. We went up the falling waters trail and when we hit tree line about 11..45 it was brutal. Very Windy and a storm was coming. Ate a quick lunch and Buzzed down to shining rock. At 12.15 is started to sprinkle and then rained big time for most of the walk out. Some loud thunder as well. The walk down was wild. I could clearly see 3 flags flying from the top of little haystack. Very impressive.