• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For Sale: Bolton Valley (The Official Sale Website)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks to SRO for posting this interesting read on SnowJournal/NELSAP.

This is the broker's website for the sale of Bolton Valley. After about ten years of rebuilding/investing/cleaning up the resort, Redstone has decided to either seek a partner or to sell their interests.

http://www.boltonresortinfo.com/default.html

The photos and stats are very detailed. The information is interesting. One particular point that riverc0il and SRO pointed out was that the Hotel and Sportscenter are NOT owned by the ski area and are owned by Ralph DesLaurier's ex-wife who leases those properties to the ski area.

bvibert

Staff member
I've never been there before, but from the pictures it looks like a pretty cool place. I hope they find suitable buyers...

thetrailboss

Staff member
The latest news.

Good news: As reported, the Inn at Essex is leasing The Ponds for five years with an option to purchase. They will be hosting weddings there.

Bad news: a pending land sale means that Bolton will lose its easement that it has had the last four years to access that 1,000 acres of land. The upshot: the resort's 100km of backcountry terrain and 30 km of groomed terrain will be reduced to just 6 km of trails :blink: The Catamount Trail will not be impacted. It is not clear from the article if this terrain will be accessible or not under a different operator or if this is related to the fact that Ralph DesLaurier's ex-wife holds some of the resort's assets.

BenedictGomez

I'm Cun-foosed. Is the only negative hit to the nordic operations, or will alpine be effected as well?

SKIQUATTRO

may head up there sat, ski sun/mon with the wife and kids....been looking at bolton for while but never been....

thetrailboss

Staff member
According to Seven Days and Bolton, the people interested in the 1,600 acre parcel want to use it as a....drumroll...private second home. :eek: Talk about an estate. Nice of them to lock out skiers so that they can have a private mountain estate that they can use maybe 10 days a year. :roll: Well, if you've got it....

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
According to Seven Days and Bolton, the people interested in the 1,600 acre parcel want to use it as a....drumroll...private second home. :eek: Talk about an estate. Nice of them to lock out skiers so that they can have a private mountain estate that they can use maybe 10 days a year. :roll: Well, if you've got it....

I like Bolton, had a great time there this season skiing with my wife. However in the grand scheme of things, I don't see it as ever being a big money maker. Being surrounded by MRG/Sugarbush, Smuggs, and Stowe doesn't make things easy on them.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Hope Redstone has a conscience and doesn't take the offer. If folks turn that into a private residence, it would absolutely kill the hotel and plummet the value of the area condos.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

Hope Redstone has a conscience and doesn't take the offer. If folks turn that into a private residence, it would absolutely kill the hotel and plummet the value of the area condos.
+1. Bolton is a cool little area to take it easy at and just play, and night skiing in VT on a clear night is awesome (albeit a little cool). The maintenance costs they'd take on would be pretty high if they ran the lifts for themselves.

Edit: And suck for local jobs...even seasonal

thetrailboss

Staff member
+1. Bolton is a cool little area to take it easy at and just play, and night skiing in VT on a clear night is awesome (albeit a little cool). The maintenance costs they'd take on would be pretty high if they ran the lifts for themselves.

Edit: And suck for local jobs...even seasonal

Just to be clear...the parcel of land for sale is NOT the alpine area, but is the land on which BV has an easement for their XC and BC trails.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What are they asking?

I don't know. They are dividing up the resort...the alpine area in one piece, the Ponds in another, and a bulk of the XC/BC area on this 1,600 acre parcel. The latter is a private deal with no mention of price from what I have seen....

Angus

definitely not my area of knowledge but I bet you buy the land, carve out what you want with appropriate buffers, and create a conservation trust with easements and everyone gets what they want out of the deal. realistically, not sure why I'd want to build an "estate" up in that area?