• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

From Utah: Park City Resorts Wish to Connect (UPDATED 2014 for ONE WASATCH Project)

trackbiker

I agree that it would be a nice option for letting members of the same party ski different areas or to try different areas from the same base. I just don't think it would be utilized all that much after the novelty wore off.
Does the Slide Brook Express run on weekdays? This is a similar transfer lift.

DoublePlanker

Really? Park City is the place to stay in Utah. Its a ski town. BCC and LCC have almost nothing for lodging/dining. Once the lifts are in place, if the cost is ok, I think most people would prefer to ski over than take a bus/drive a car. Its not like the skiing is bad in between. Its way more fun to go top to bottom on Park City ski area than to sit in a car.

benski

I agree that it would be a nice option for letting members of the same party ski different areas or to try different areas from the same base. I just don't think it would be utilized all that much after the novelty wore off.

It used to only run on weekends. Last year they ran it 5 days a week.

darent

It would be great to ski in park city and go over the hill to brighton and solitude without the van ride.

Tin Woodsman

What is the "this" you are referring to? The only plan that had any similarity to Slide Brook was SkiLink, and that is now dead. The One Wasatch plan does not feature any transfer lifts. Rather, it includes real lift and trail pods on mostly north and west facing aspects in BCC/LCC. In other words, several hundred acres on some of the best skiing terrain the US has to offer.

How exactly is that similar to Slide Brook?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Everytime I see this plan I laugh. It's more insane and impossible than Otten's plan at the Balsams.

Except its really not that hard.

This would require about as much physical effort to connect Killington and Pico ultimately. Although the legal wrangling might be a wash between act 250 in VT and Nimby bc folks out in SLC.

Rigghhhttttt... because if Canyons can't build simple connecting gondola then this is totally feasible.

And I believe the reason why the Canyons-Solitude gondola was shot down was because of the backlash from the backcountry enthusiasts who that thought saving a few acres of precious BC terrain was more valuable than eliminating an hours drive to the other side of the canyon. And the environmentalists didn't like it either....

The OneWasatch Plan really does not involve THAT much additional terrain. A big reason why SkiLink has been tabled was because of the reaction to Talisker's attempt to buy/obtain the federal land and the "go around" move to get the Feds to give them the land. That was what sparked anger.

Neither did SkiLink. This is 4 skilinks.

Again, a large part of the furor with SkiLink was that Talisker tried to get the feds in DC to simply hand over the land to them. That was what pissed off folks.

The OneWasatch idea has been around for a long, long time. Only now are we getting the specifics as to where they want to link. The Grizzly Gulch connection is not "wilderness" or remote backcountry as some suggest. Nor is Guardsman Pass. Go up there any weekend in the warm weather months and there are cars everywhere. In the winter it is snowmobile mecca. From what I see they want to run two commuter lifts in each location such that folks are not going to be skiing in those areas but riding lifts.

Personally a part me would like to see this because the Utah ski areas do a lot for our economy here. But a part of me will admit that I'd like less people in LCC.

You guys owe me money.

One Wasatch, the massive plan to turn the central Wasatch mountains into one of the world’s largest playgrounds, may not happen at all now.“One Wasatch” is being opposed by environmental groups and backcountry enthusiasts who are pushing back against further development.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/02/plan-to-link-ski-resorts-may-be-on-hold-now