• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Generators

gmcunni

Good luck, They are saying by end of Tuesday everyone will have power.

Correct way, transfer switch, temporarily is to backfeed. I know before the storm Costco had a 7500 Generac for $8-900 with electric start. But I am sure everyone will be grabbing generators for the next 2 months when they see them at stores.

power is back on so i'm not in a super rush but will buy one sooner rather than later. Yesterday (before my power was back) i was at local HomeDepot and missed one by minutes. someone had returned unused but another lucky F'er got it before me.

dmc

All the people in Jersey with generators are out of gas now...

I don't think I can justify a generator... I'l just hunker down...

ScottySkis

All the people in Jersey with generators are out of gas now...

I don't think I can justify a generator... I'l just hunker down...

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Mid Hudson's valley and NYC is also running out of gas.

JimG.

Staff member
Looking into a standby unit, not going to do anything until next year, don't need to pay premium prices due to temporary generator envy.

Losing power for a few days is bearable, but it's tough, especially with the wife and kids in the house. No TV is not the issue, but no water, no showers, no toilet flushing, no refrigerator, no cooking, no heat is unbearable.

I don't care about the expense or value it adds to my house, I care about comfort for my family during these emergencies. And that makes it worth the money.

hammer

Looking into a standby unit, not going to do anything until next year, don't need to pay premium prices due to temporary generator envy.

Losing power for a few days is bearable, but it's tough, especially with the wife and kids in the house. No TV is not the issue, but no water, no showers, no toilet flushing, no refrigerator, no cooking, no heat is unbearable.

I don't care about the expense or value it adds to my house, I care about comfort for my family during these emergencies. And that makes it worth the money.
If you don't have town water or gas stove and HW I would understand the need to have some kind of backup generator. We have town water and natural gas, and our gas fireplace can run without electricity, so when the power is out we have hot water, can cook, and have heat in one room. Still very inconvenient but we have managed for several days.

JimG.

Staff member
If you don't have town water or gas stove and HW I would understand the need to have some kind of backup generator. We have town water and natural gas, and our gas fireplace can run without electricity, so when the power is out we have hot water, can cook, and have heat in one room. Still very inconvenient but we have managed for several days.

On my own in that regard...well water, everything else needs electricity, even our boiler which runs on oil but needs electric to fire.

hammer

On my own in that regard...well water, everything else needs electricity, even our boiler which runs on oil but needs electric to fire.
Sorry about that...sounds like my supervisor's house, she usually has to get a hotel room when she loses power. She does have NG service so she's planning on getting one of those larger generators that can be tied into a gas line.

dmc

yeah we have town water(thank you NYC) and gas for the stove and a gas fireplace...

JimG.

Staff member
Sorry about that...sounds like my supervisor's house, she usually has to get a hotel room when she loses power. She does have NG service so she's planning on getting one of those larger generators that can be tied into a gas line.

No need to be sorry for us...we are fine and only lost power for 2 days. Other than that, no damage.

SkiFanE

We bought generator in the middle of last year's October storm (lucky!). We only have water and landline phone during outages. Hubby wired generator so we can get oil burner heat and hot water and one outlet in the kitchen - which is where our DSL modem/wireless is plugged in, so had a light, internet, microwave, TV, coffee maker, etc... from that one outlet. Very bearable. ON first day of outage I tossed all food in fridge, that was freeing haha! No reason to generate that. We're don't have enough frozen food to worry about.

October is bearable. If it was January...it'd be impossible to survive in our house w/o a generator, pipes would freeze. In Nov. our house was 49* w/o heat.

JimG.

Staff member
We bought generator in the middle of last year's October storm (lucky!). We only have water and landline phone during outages. Hubby wired generator so we can get oil burner heat and hot water and one outlet in the kitchen - which is where our DSL modem/wireless is plugged in, so had a light, internet, microwave, TV, coffee maker, etc... from that one outlet. Very bearable. ON first day of outage I tossed all food in fridge, that was freeing haha! No reason to generate that. We're don't have enough frozen food to worry about.

October is bearable. If it was January...it'd be impossible to survive in our house w/o a generator, pipes would freeze. In Nov. our house was 49* w/o heat.

Yeah, my real concern is sustained loss of power in the winter for the reasons you've expressed here.

Freezing pipes would cost me alot more than the cost of professionally installing a good standby generator.

gmcunni

Yeah, my real concern is sustained loss of power in the winter for the reasons you've expressed here.

Freezing pipes would cost me alot more than the cost of professionally installing a good standby generator.
+1

mlctvt

Our power just went back on! exactly 4 days this time 5pm Monday to 5pm Friday. Better than Irene :0)

We used just 20 gallons of gas for the Generator(Generac GP6500). I had stockpiled 25 gallons but I could have siphoned the two cars that we don't need for day to day if needed too.
I'm thinking about a standby Genny that runs on Propane and a better transfer switch(whole house/ service entry instead of limited circuits individual switching).
Getting gas around here has never been a problem but we didn't get hit like NJ either. Getting Propane after a disaster can be an issue too and the two tanks I'd have would probably last just 4-5 days.

Last edited:

gmcunni

We used just 20 gallons of gas for the Generator(Generac GP6500). I had stockpiled 25 gallons but I could have siphoned the two cars that we don't need for day to day if needed too.

glad to hear you are back on the power grid. are you happy with the generac? thinking of the GP5500

Skimaine

I have had a Generac for 15 years and it has served us well. Still starts easily.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Good luck, They are saying by end of Tuesday everyone will have power.

Correct way, transfer switch, temporarily is to backfeed. I know before the storm Costco had a 7500 Generac for $8-900 with electric start. But I am sure everyone will be grabbing generators for the next 2 months when they see them at stores.
Generator installations have been steady in the Simsbury Building Dept since Alfred last year. Record rates. The thing is, if you don't run your generator periodically, it won't work when you need it. Unfortunate thing we have seen, too. Our work generator powers up once a month for maintenance.