• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Giving psswrd to get job?!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Come on Andy, you're in the Biz...you don't think they can find out?

Sure you can find out, but proving it is another story. Now, here's another idea and I do use it, have two accounts, one under my real name, one as and alias, hmmm.... I don't know, maybe andyzee. :lol:

ScottySkis

Jobs should not ask for it but I never post anything on FB that a company would look at as a bad hire.

Glenn

Sorry but if I knew managers did that I would not be happy...that's going over the line.

Devil's advocate here, not trying to stir the pot...

If someone leaves their FB profile open, full access, should they expect any degree of privacy? Including potential employers?

jrmagic

Devil's advocate here, not trying to stir the pot...

If someone leaves their FB profile open, full access, should they expect any degree of privacy? Including potential employers?

Good point. Anyone that leaves their FB profile totally open in this day is basically asking for people to snoop.

o3jeff

I'd be more concerned with them reading what I post on some of these forums. I don't post much on FB, too many stalkers on my page!

hammer

Good point. Anyone that leaves their FB profile totally open in this day is basically asking for people to snoop.
Agree but there is a difference between someone casually snooping on your FB page and having an employer check your profile in an attempt to check up on your personal life.

FTR I try to keep my FB page private. Not easy to get all of the settings right.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I heard a lead in on NPR about this, I thought the announcer mis-spoke and meant a link to the Facebook page rather than a password. Unreal.

Employers will not be fielding the best candidates if they require this. Many good candidates will not tolerate this invasion of privacy. Since the best candidates are most likely to say no to an offer, companies doing this are really shooting themselves in the foot and for no good reason. I certainly wouldn't suffer this indignity even though I have nothing to hide.

jaja111

Simple solution - "I don't have a facespace page."

This story is total BS and has spread like wildfire. Next thread topic? Alligators in sewers. Ahh... the internet.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Simple solution - "I don't have a facespace page."
But who doesn't?

Unless you are advocating for lying? If you got the job and were found out, that would be grounds for immediate firing without notice and no unemployment. And if you feel the need to lie to get a job, the job probably isn't worth having. Clearly such companies are invasive and don't value their associates.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
But who doesn't?

Unless you are advocating for lying? If you got the job and were found out, that would be grounds for immediate firing without notice and no unemployment. And if you feel the need to lie to get a job, the job probably isn't worth having. Clearly such companies are invasive and don't value their associates.

No offense Riv, but that is funny! :lol:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
You'll have to explain the humor.

This would be no differences than a company asking me my penis size and me stating 10" when in fact it's 12" :) then getting fired for lying. That may seem a bit absurd but no different,. Yes, you are correct that you can be fired for lying on an application/interview. But, lets's get things into proper context, what right do they have asking you either fact? Can they fire you? Of course they can, can you take them to court and sue their asses, of course you can. Who would win is anyone's guess, but my money is on the plaintiff. Even in this day and age where corporations are getting more and more power.

jaja111

Grounds for termination because I failed to reveal that I had a Fbook page? I could retain an attorney for free if I could prove damages from that. Your private activities, if not illegal or in direct business conflict with your employer, are of absolutely no concern to the employer. My grounds for an unwarranted termination are greater than their grounds for termination - if the state you're employed in is not "at will" employment. In NY, you can be fired just for the way you look at your boss, but his ability to block unemployment compensation is another story.

This is neither here nor there anyhow. This article that the washington post has written is either a sham to sell "papers" or a red herring to put the idea out there. Any company that would engage in it is asking for huge headaches and trouble. Say I have a Fbook page? Say it contains a photo of me supporting a Republican at a rally and the employer is a Democrat? He fires me because he finds this on the fbook page I stated I did not have in the interview. Also on the fbook page is the fact that I "like" Jesus. Boom! Discrimination on the basis of religion which is protected under federal law. Now not only do I have grounds for wrongful termination, I also have a lawsuit for employment discrimination brought with an attorney provided free of charge from the state employment board.

This, if it were real, is a rats nest in a sewer.

skijay

I was contracted by a company in 2007 that wanted my user ID / password for Facebook or any other social media site and also all forums I visit and my User ID.

The reason for the social media sites is there was no way for compliance to monitor what an employee / contractor could post (trade secrets, etc.). I was not on any social media sites at the time. I think it was in 2008 that there was some monitoring program or they outsourced it to an assentor for monitoring - there was no more need to divulge passwords or logins, I just had to sign an attestation form that I have a facebook account and that I agree to keep them off as my employer and not to discuss business related items on social media and forums. Every year I had to attest to it.

Fast forward to today. If I was in an interview and I was asked for my FB login / password I would say, "no". I would agree to being "friended" but not handing over my password to a complete stranger. Perhaps, I should ask the interviewer for his or her FB credentials and I will take out my iPhone and check that person out during the interview.

Trekchick

I try to never post anything in public that will get me into trouble with employers, family members, or "others"
Even when I went through my divorce 2 years ago, (and now) I never aired my personal baggage and have no issue with anyone seeing what's out there.

That being said, I wouldn't give up my password to anyone. Trust is an important thing.