• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Go West! ~ But, but, but where?

Go West - but where?

• Colorado - Front Range(multiple resorts)

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Colorado - Aspen/Snowmass

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Colorado - Steamboat

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Colorado - Telluride/Crested Butte

• Idaho - SunValley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Utah - Park City/Salt Lake City area(multiple resorts)

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Utah - Ogden (Snowbasin/Powder mt)

• Tahoe - multiple resorts

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Taos New Mexico

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Montana - Bridger Bowl, Montana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Montana - White Fish

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Jackson Hole

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • TC is nuts and this poll is flawed

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

Trekchick

So you live in the East and you want to plan a ski trip West
You begin your search for travel, lodging, food and lift tickets.
Where do you go?

What are the strongest contributing factors? ~
Friends
Travel (convenience and cost)
Lodging
Lift ticket pricing
Terrain choice(intermediate, advanced, the more gnar the better)
[fill in the blank]

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Just curious where you're going with this thread. I suspect the answers you'll get will be entirely all over the map. When I talk to 10 skiers/boarders I get 10 different answers to the question, "what is good?" I anticipate a similar result.

4aprice

Right now its family member condo = Salt Lake City. In the future I would like to travel some in the west. Salt Lake City looks like a good base camp for road trips to Southwest Co, The Jackson Hole and Big Sky areas and even Sun Valley.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Hawkshot99

Just got back on Friday from a week in Park City. We chose there because of some great deals we were able to get. We stayed at the Canyons, and skied there, and Deere Valley. Those 2 resorts had everything we could ask for. Nice easy green groomers, steep groomers, and some awesome chutes and back country.
As far as non-skiing Park City is a real cool town. 40 mins. tops from the airport. There was free shuttles going from the mountains right to Main St., or you could take a cab for reasonable cost.
Our group will be going west again next year, but not sure if we want to go t the same area again, or try something different.

wa-loaf

I've been visiting friends who live in Denver and SLC that last two years. They are talking about wanting to go to Tahoe or Whistler next year, so I'll prob go with the crew. Depends on tickets and lodging arrangements.

So friends, cost, and terrain top my list.

snowmonster

I had hoped to go to Utah this year. Didn't happen so, hopefully, that happens next year. Alta, Snowbird and Deer Valley are in my sights.

In making a ski trip decision, terrain and cost are primary considerations. I'm heading west to ski terrain and snow that I can't find in the East. However, I'm not about to break the bank for it. Cheap flights and ground transportation and reasonable accommodations are key. I don't care much for nightlife and valets -- though a nice meal would be a good splurge.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My SO and I just got back from a week in Tahoe. The number of ski areas is simply staggering. We spent three days (all powder days) at Squaw Valley. Simply amazing. They got three feet of snow while we were there and the terrain is stellar. We also spent a sunny Sunday at Homewood, a new property owned by Alpine Meadows but known as a former sleepy locals resort, where you can almost ski to the Lake. The terrain there is really neat and the tickets were dirt cheap ($25 when you showed a pass from another resort on Sunday or Thursday).

My SO's brother in law has a family place in Tahoe City, so we had great company and free lodging and food. They also are Squaw passholders, so we got 1/2 price lift tickets at Squaw...which translates to $41 per day.

So yes, family and price were driving factors. RT airfare to Reno was $300 when we booked in November. A steal. Squaw was a no brainer. Huge resort and about 10 miles away from the place. Insane terrain, tons of snow, awesome lifts, and great ticket deals. A real neat vibe. Love the terrain. I am a Squaw convertee!

Homewood was just as close but completely different--old Yan triples, runs below tree line, simple facilities with the promise of a huge resort coming (ala Burke) and just so chill and neat. The new HSQ on the backside was great. We skied pretty much the entire place in a day.

Last edited:

Trekchick

I wish we could have two separate polls attached to this thread, one for location and one for strongest contributing factors.

May be a reason for another thread, eh?

Trekchick

My vote is Colorado Front Range.....although there are places that I'd like to ski more.
Contributing factor(s)
Cost, cost, cost.
My Sister in law lives near by = free lodging
A road trip is only 18 hrs in my gigantic SUV = cheap transportation with no plane fare or rental car
Split the road trip between 4 adults and its = 120/person for a week's worth of travel, including round trip and day tripping
Lift tickets = season pass' for the front range are crazy cheap 359/year for unlimited at Abasin with 5 lift tickets to Keystone and Breck.

Our lodging and transportation make it possible for us to go to the Colorado Front range three times a year for what it cost us to go to Utah for 5 days.

So far, my favourite skiing was at Big Sky/Bridger Bowl, and I really want to get back there!

hammer

Just got back on Friday from a week in Park City. We chose there because of some great deals we were able to get. We stayed at the Canyons, and skied there, and Deere Valley. Those 2 resorts had everything we could ask for. Nice easy green groomers, steep groomers, and some awesome chutes and back country.
As far as non-skiing Park City is a real cool town. 40 mins. tops from the airport. There was free shuttles going from the mountains right to Main St., or you could take a cab for reasonable cost.
Our group will be going west again next year, but not sure if we want to go t the same area again, or try something different.
Would you recommend Park City as a first destination out west for east coast intermediates?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm hoping to make it to SLC next year. I've skied most places in Colorado. Never been anywhere else. My choice for SLC will be based on an old friend recently moving there, thus reducing my lodging costs.

Hawkshot99

Would you recommend Park City as a first destination out west for east coast intermediates?

I would think that a intermediate would love the Park City area.(I did not ski Park City the resort) Both the canyons, and Deere Valley had tons of trails in that skier area. While both of them allowed the intermediate to move around the mountain I felt they would be able to ski more of Deere Valley. A few of the Canyons lifts stated no Blue/Green trails or groomers off of that lift.

Also usually the intermediate skier likes to have some non-skiing options available to them. There is the Olympic park nearby, and the cool town of Park City.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Terrain and cost are the 2 big factors for me. SLC, is actually one of the cheaper places you can go ski anywhere....even cheaper than the most places in the east. You can find extended stay places in SLC that are clean, have a small kitchenette and are just 20+ minutes to the Wildcat parking lot at Alta. (you're talking like $30-40/night with 2 beds!). You might even be able to snag one on the bus route.

abc

In making a ski trip decision, terrain and cost are primary considerations. I'm heading west to ski terrain and snow that I can't find in the East. However, I'm not about to break the bank for it. Cheap flights and ground transportation and reasonable accommodations are key. I don't care much for nightlife and valets -- though a nice meal would be a good splurge.
100% agree! Said it better than I can.

For me personally, Utah wins. Within Utah, I have multiple competing factors.

- The cheapest option is stay with my friend at Park City and ski The Canyons as their buddy. No cost lodging and low cost lift ticket. Just the flight out, and maybe rent a car (or not)...

- Second cheapest option is stay in SLC and ski the Cottonwood Canyons. Snow and terrain is better there. Lift ticket is cheap relatively speaking (relative to CO). Lodging cost, while not free, is so inexpensive it's "almost free". Not needing a car saves BIG.

- Odgen area is really for variety sake. It's inching up to almost as expensive as going to Summit county.

- Summit County of Colorado does receive "honorary mention" due to easily found cheap flights to Denver. Needing a car is a big drag, lift ticket is expensive but deals can usually be found. Lodging is more expensive than Utah.

- I will go to other areas for a change of pace: Jackson Hole, Telluride, etc...

millerm277

For me it's terrain choice/likely snow conditions, followed closely by overall cost of the trip. Ironically enough, after doing the math and considering everything.....Whistler wound up being cheapest (flying into Seattle) and most likely to be enjoyable for my whole group. (mixed abilities) I'm leaving Friday. :grin:

snoseek

Before I moved here it was Utah Every time mostly because I had worked there for a few winters and had connections but also the snow is unbeatable and almost always blower late jan-feb. I did Tahoe in the spring one year and that was pretty sweet. Also did Taos one year and was convinced there was a lot more to the west than just SLC.

Personally I think the very best angle you could take is fly out for maybe ten days to SLC (good central location) and do everythning last minute via hotwire. Follow the weather patterns and be prepared to do some driving through some desolate yet beautiful country. I thnik the idea of staying in those cute little resort towns gets really lame after a couple days. It would be more of an adventure. Pretty much everwhere worth skiing in the West (excluding pacnw) can be reached in 8 or less hours from SLC. Hell I drive down to T-ride on a regular basis it feels like and that takes me 7 hours.
Yeah prebooking just makes no sense to me.....

gmcunni

while i'd take any one of them i went with Jackson Hole. I like to try new places and haven't been there yet.

4aprice

Personally I think the very best angle you could take is fly out for maybe ten days to SLC (good central location) and do everythning last minute via hotwire. Follow the weather patterns and be prepared to do some driving through some desolate yet beautiful country. I thnik the idea of staying in those cute little resort towns gets really lame after a couple days. It would be more of an adventure. Pretty much everwhere worth skiing in the West (excluding pacnw) can be reached in 8 or less hours from SLC. Hell I drive down to T-ride on a regular basis it feels like and that takes me 7 hours.
Yeah prebooking just makes no sense to me.....

You've pretty much mapped out my plans when my children are old enough to let my wife and I get "away" at times. Daughter is 16 so in a couple of more years it will be possible. Our base in Cottonwood Hieghts, Utah couldn't be better located.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

drjeff

Gotta be SLC! The sheer # of big, great ski areas within an hours drive of SLC, is almost unmatched. One could argue Tahoe, but Tahoe generally has bigger crowds and the snow, while good, isn't Utah good - Same goes for the front range of Colorado

SLC airport, being down in the valley, generally isn't as affected by weather related airline delays, and most of the resorts within an hours drive of the airport have a large percentage of their mileage being highway, and/or are serviced via public transporation from SLC

Restaurants + ample lodging options - yup

Gotta be SLC