• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Heavy or light setup

highpeaksdrifter

Anyone care how heavy their setup is. I was reading a thread on the Metron B5 at Epic and a couple of guys felt at @ 8 1/2 lbs. per ski they were to heavy to be considered. I've never skied the B5, but have heard great things.

Anyways, my Top Fuels are pretty heavy so I weighed them to see how much. They were just under 8. I love these skis and believe me they don't ski heavy and that's what counts.

Any opinions?

BTW I skied them in bumps with no problems,

JimG.

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
Anyone care how heavy their setup is. I was reading a thread on the Metron B5 at Epic and a couple of guys felt at @ 8 1/2 lbs. per ski they were to heavy to be considered. I've never skied the B5, but have heard great things.

Anyways, my Top Fuels are pretty heavy so I weighed them to see how much. They were just under 8. I love these skis and believe me they don't ski heavy and that's what counts.

Any opinions?

BTW I skied them in bumps with no problems,

One of the reasons I use AT gear everyday is because of weight. My skis are simple wood core bump skis with no damping materials or binding plates. My Freerides weigh about half as much as alpine bindings. My boots are ridiculously light and actually took a few weeks to get used to. So I'm a stickler for light equipment. But I don't know too many folks who care about it as much as me if at all.

Is it possible that the Epic discussion was centered around BC skiing where weight is a major factor?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
is it just me, or is there a general trend for skis to weigh more lately? maybe it's just the skis i have tried (especially volkls), but it seems like stuff is getting crazy heavy. i guess it is great for guys looking to tear up the groomers. for example, the 6 star is a friggin' tank, but the heavy suckers can't be beat for ripping groomers. same with the 724 pro, ick, way too heavy for my tastes. could be a response to market demand, seems like a lot of people want something that rips groomers then "busts through crud" as everyone is calling it with some pow too. so you take a powder ski and make it damp and stiff for the groomers, woot!

i am a mid-weight fan myself. i need a strong ski, i'm a big and heavy guy and have a technique geared toward power rather than grace. but i dislike a ski that is too heavy which can wear me down on groomers and natural snow when utilizing quick snappy turns or terrain requiring hop turns. i need a ski stiff enough that gives some resistance when making a turn to pop off the sweet spot, but something too heavy wears on me.

my xwave10 boots just kill my legs, that's for sure. after walking around and flexing a pair of gride's, i decided there isn't much use for a pair of boots like that except for tearing up groomers or steep precision situations. both ends of the weight perspective seem rather over rated unless you have specific requirements.

highpeaksdrifter

riverc0il said:
could be a response to market demand, seems like a lot of people want something that rips groomers then "busts through crud" as everyone is calling it with some pow too. so you take a powder ski and make it damp and stiff for the groomers, woot!

i am a mid-weight fan myself. i need a strong ski,

You always bring good insight to gear discussion Oil.
I'd add to your list good edge grip on hard pack/ice, aka one ski quiver, all Mt. expert, free ride expert whatever you want to call them.

When I skied my Top Fuels for the first time I was amazed at everything the ski could do well.

Mid-fat fan - 2 years ago that ment around 70mm under foot, not anymore.

JimG.

Staff member
riverc0il said:
is it just me, or is there a general trend for skis to weigh more lately?

You're not crazy...newer skis are heavier with all the damping materials and binding plates.

Probably why the Epic thread was started to begin with.

ctenidae

Skis are getting heavier, no doubt. It's interesting, though- when you see reviews of new bindings, and related marketing stuff, they'll often go on about using lighter materials, shaving weight, etc.

Seems to me, unless you're carrying it BC, a pound or so won't make much difference to your legs, except hanging off a chairlift. Even then, I doubt you'd actually notice the difference.

highpeaksdrifter

ctenidae said:
Seems to me, unless you're carrying it BC, a pound or so won't make much difference to your legs, except hanging off a chairlift. Even then, I doubt you'd actually notice the difference.

That's what I think too. I also weighed my SUV14's cause they felt a little lighter and they where by about a lb each ski. Overall the Top Fuel is a better ski IMO and the weight doesn't matter to me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the going light trend in BC is generally due to uphill mobility, quickness, and fatiuge factors. clearly nothing prohibiting regular alpine equip from getting heavier and heavier. generally in the BC, going lighter means sacrificing some performance due to less stiffness and response. i wonder if people buying heavier skis on alpine gear looking for the one ski do it all quiver are sacrificing on the opposite end instead of getting skis that specialize in particular aspects of skiing. someone over on epic has a great signiture that says something along the lines of "all mountain ski definition is a ski that is equally bad at everything" :lol:

i appreciate the mid-fat direction and skinny skis are definitely out unless you are looking for a racing/GS/slalom ski which still put in around 70 or less waist or a zipper line bump ski. the extra weight for a mid-70s mid fat is okay because the performance for natural snow conditions is stepped up. but the ultra stiff end of the mid-fats meant for folks who are partial to groomers makes no sense to me! if you ski groomers most of the time, don't get a mid-fat... get a friggin race ski!

know we know why so many people enjoy safety bars with foot rests, jeez. :lol:

SkiDog

Personally weight has never been an issue with me. I am however getting into BC so am re-evaluating my stance on this. I am getting the new Teneighty GUNS this season (buddy works at a ski shop can't beat the deal), and am thinking of mounting them with free rides, but have yet to decide.

On another note. I have been skiing for approx 18 year +/- a couple, anyway I notice all the talk on stiffness, and edge, etc. You know honestly I NEVER noticed the big difference, besides waist and tip/tail on any ski I ever skied. I guess basically I just put them on an go...I don't sweat the "small" stuff..

I'm wondering if I don't have "feel"?

M

highpeaksdrifter

SkiDog said:
On another note. I have been skiing for approx 18 year +/- a couple, anyway I notice all the talk on stiffness, and edge, etc. You know honestly I NEVER noticed the big difference, besides waist and tip/tail on any ski I ever skied. I guess basically I just put them on an go...I don't sweat the "small" stuff..

I'm wondering if I don't have "feel"?

M

I can dig it, you just ski with what you have and not worry about every little nuisance.
There are certainly brands and models I prefer over another, (Nordica Hot Rod Hot Fuel :D ) but put me on any high-end ski and I’ll be fine.

That said, you should be able to feel the difference between a stiff and soft ski. At the very least you should feel that a stiffer ski is faster and more stable on hard pack and a softer model will turn with less effort in deeper snow. Although, the new 1 ski quiver models are changing that deep snow perception.

SkiDog

highpeaksdrifter said:
I can dig it, you just ski with what you have and not worry about every little nuisance.
There are certainly brands and models I prefer over another, (Nordica Hot Rod Hot Fuel :D ) but put me on any high-end ski and I’ll be fine.

That said, you should be able to feel the difference between a stiff and soft ski. At the very least you should feel that a stiffer ski is faster and more stable on hard pack and a softer model will turn with less effort in deeper snow. Although, the new 1 ski quiver models are changing that deep snow perception.

I also prefer "brands" over one another and have certianly skied both race type skis and bump type skis and do notice the difference, but I wonder how much I noticed it??? Eh...I dig skiing thats all I care about....if they were pine 2x4's if they had enough wax....and some edge...i'm in... :)

M

bigbog

riverc0il said:
.......the extra weight for a mid-70s mid fat is okay because the performance for natural snow conditions is stepped up, but the ultra stiff end of the mid-fats meant for folks who are partial to groomers makes no sense to me! if you ski groomers most of the time, don't get a mid-fat... get a friggin race ski!
Now we know why so many people enjoy safety bars with foot rests, jeez. :lol:
...Not only am I in total agreement rivercOil, but at 5'8"...a ski that can do what needs to be done, yet feel lighter than a thunderstick...to swing around here & there, is a lot more fun...

skidon

You can still get a light setup, you just have to be "flexible". Heh. It's not skis that are heavy - it's SYSTEM skis that are. Take a K2 Fujativ or Crossfire, or a Dynastar 4800 (all available as flat skis) and put on 'em a Sally 912 Ti or such, and you've got a lightweight rig that rips. There's lots more examples like that. Heavier skis can plow through the gnarly stuff, though. They're just a pain getting to the lift, and back to your truck after happy hour...

highpeaksdrifter

skidon said:
You can still get a light setup, you just have to be "flexible". Heh. It's not skis that are heavy - it's SYSTEM skis that are. Take a K2 Fujativ or Crossfire, or a Dynastar 4800 (all available as flat skis) and put on 'em a Sally 912 Ti or such, and you've got a lightweight rig that rips. There's lots more examples like that. Heavier skis can plow through the gnarly stuff, though. They're just a pain getting to the lift, and back to your truck after happy hour...

Your point is right on. A couple of years ago I got Fischer RX8's and had the choice of their real flex system or get them flat. I choose flat and put on the Solamon 912's for two reasons. I didn't know much about Fischer bindings and the 912s where alot lighter.

What I ended up with were light skis that were turning machines. They were alot of fun, but that said, I prefer the power and versatility of the Nordica Top Fuels I have now.

I also think that not too far in the future all skis will have system bindings. It's just the way the industry is going.

JimG.

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
I also think that not too far in the future all skis will have system bindings. It's just the way the industry is going.

Probably true, not a good thing in my opinion. Have yet to demo a system ski/binding set-up I thought was worth anything more than spit.

Thank God for e-bay.

RossiSkier

I don't mind skiing on a heavy board, but if I can't get a parking spot close to the lifts then I come to dislike them.

Sky

I'm not as technically sophosticated as most of you posters in here...the one post about "not "feeling" had a familiar ring to it. I don't know what I don't know.

That being said...I can remember my first pair of skis...210 Kniesel's...old school...heavy and stiff.

When I got my first pair of modern skis (with some shape...Salomon CUT's)...they were super light. Next came the Atomic Beta Ride 820's...advertising (I scanned the Ski Mag review) claimed they were light. Not according to the CUT's!!

Last year I picked up a pair of Volkls Supersport Superspeed's. H-E-A-V-Y! Substantially heavier @ 175 vs the 190 Atomic 820's

As far as one-ski-quiver...two excellent observations...1) all mountain doing all things equally bad. No different than the fighter/bomber argument. I don't mind the heavier skier due to my ht/wt. Also because I don't go BC. So, stable, bust through crud, edge grip all season long. I'm set with one ski. Keeping a quiver and keeping it tuned and up-to-date is not important to me. As Jack said in "A Few Good Men"..."I have neither the time nor the inclination..." AND 2)....erraahhhh...I forget. *smirk*

I guess I'd rate "weight" as one more thing to consider when demo-ing your next new set f skis.