• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Helicopter Crash Closes Snowbird's Mineral Basin

thetrailboss

Staff member
Two Army National Guard Helicopters on an exercise collided over Mineral Basin. The ANG said there are no injuries, but both helicopters are damaged. They crash landed just below the Mineral Basin Express. Snowbird has closed the Tram, Little Cloud, Baldy, and Mineral Basin lifts.

Choppers-Ax-pix-for-GFX-4.png

Screen-Shot-2022-02-22-at-10.54.22-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-02-22-at-10.54.15-AM.png

x10003q

Training exercise? Yeah, right. There are over 2 million acres in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest and they are doing training over a populated section with lift cables all over the place. Not buying it.

Joyride.

drjeff

holy shit glad no one was hurt. The west is huge why are they training over the ski resorts? Makes no sense...

Probably for the same reason that various wings of the Air National Guard train over ski areas, and other populated areas of the Northeast.... It's the type of terrain that the pilots are looking for to practice various flight maneuvers

jimmywilson69

I get it, but in the case of Utah there are plenty of craggy mountains without ski areas and people around to buzz

ThatGuy

Probably for the same reason that various wings of the Air National Guard train over ski areas, and other populated areas of the Northeast.... It's the type of terrain that the pilots are looking for to practice various flight maneuvers
It is awesome to watch the jets buzz by Mt Snow.

drjeff

It is awesome to watch the jets buzz by Mt Snow.

Coolest fly over I ever experienced while skiing was at Sugarbush 3 years ago, when a couple of the jets from the Green Mountain Boys roared over the top of Castlerock as as my friend and I were almost to the top terminal! That was awesome!

abc

I guess I didn't realize they do that, seriously.

Obviously in the northeast, they have to train somewhere. And there're not too much empty land so they'll have to fly over populated area. But I have the same question as others, but in the west?

drjeff

I guess I didn't realize they do that, seriously.

Obviously in the northeast, they have to train somewhere. And there're not too much empty land so they'll have to fly over populated area. But I have the same question as others, but in the west?

As I understand the logic behind it, there is a component about where they train which is based on proximity to their home airfield. If they're flying a multihour training mission, more cost (fuel) efficient to have the training mission starting closer to the airbase that having to say fly an hour or 2 to/from the air base to begin the training mission. Heck, where I live in Northeast CT is under a corridor that I believe is part of the regular training flight pattern for what looks to be the C-17 transport jets, as fairly regularly (a couple of times a month from what I see) there's a 2 or 3 of them flying in close proximity at a relatively low altitude. Wouldn't be surprised if that's some of the same sqaudron of planes that I see from time to time in the Mount Snow area as well as over the Lakes Region of Central NH

ThatGuy

Coolest fly over I ever experienced while skiing was at Sugarbush 3 years ago, when a couple of the jets from the Green Mountain Boys roared over the top of Castlerock as as my friend and I were almost to the top terminal! That was awesome!
Last summer deep in the Adirondacks we had a few fighter jets circling over us. It was astounding how loud they were and the maneuvers they could perform. Pretty crazy machines, I’m sure flying one is an amazing experience.
6B310315-70F4-44AB-BB40-A9CE632F8581.jpeg
ABFD56CC-EEEA-4224-B7E2-34D6AF2AE7C7.jpeg

jimk

Very sorry to hear of Snowbird heli crash. Hope no one hurt. I picked a good day to go to Solitude. :sick:
BTW, I was skiing in Mineral Basin on Feb 1 when there was so much heli activity in the same area that I took this (not very good) photo of a helicopter landing beside the chairlift in the same area as today's crash.
heli mineral basin.jpg

Last edited:

TahoeDad

Green Mountain boys always ripped thru the mountains - summer time as well.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snowbird and their customers cannot be happy with being bottlenecked to the front side.

Vail’s going to get jealous as they’re probably running out of excuses to shut down lifts.
I was just about to say, tongue in cheek, that Cummings no doubt shut the lifts down to save money and conserve the thin ranks.

On a powder day, and a Holiday Week, that will bite him in the ass. He seems to be an expert at that.

jimmywilson69

that's crazy! they were trying to land next to an operating ski resort! Makes no sense to me...

I wonder if when they kicked up the snow cloud the density of the snow in the air messed with their lift and brought them down? that or they just couldn't see and hit each other, which is more likely.