• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Helmets

mriceyman

Took me 10 years to make the switch.. Now i feel naked without it

Sent from my iPhone

Bom

Bought a OSBE proton with a visor attached. Not sure if it's all that great when it's cold and windy. Experience anyone?

Hawkshot99

Bought a OSBE proton with a visor attached. Not sure if it's all that great when it's cold and windy. Experience anyone?

I have never worn that brand of helmet. However on Friday I demoed a Manjo brand: helmet which looks extremely similar to that helmet.
when I got on the chair lift the thermometer read negative three degrees. no matter how tight to my nose I got the visor, I had a constant flow of wind coming up into the helmet. This cause my eyes to tear up. the cold air, then cause the tears to freeze in my eyelashes. I had to be careful not to blink, or my eyelashes would freeze together.
earlier in the day, I wore my traditional helmet with goggles. A smith variance and oakley crowbars for reference. I did not have any of these problems in that setup.
there is no way, that I would feel comfortable selling this style of helmet or wearing one myself.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Bom

I have never worn that brand of helmet. However on Friday I demoed a Manjo brand: helmet which looks extremely similar to that helmet.
when I got on the chair lift the thermometer read negative three degrees. no matter how tight to my nose I got the visor, I had a constant flow of wind coming up into the helmet. This cause my eyes to tear up. the cold air, then cause the tears to freeze in my eyelashes. I had to be careful not to blink, or my eyelashes would freeze together.
earlier in the day, I wore my traditional helmet with goggles. A smith variance and oakley crowbars for reference. I did not have any of these problems in that setup.
there is no way, that I would feel comfortable selling this style of helmet or wearing one myself.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought so much. I was also fearing fogging and freezing for the same reason. It comes with a strap on the back to fit goggles but kind of defies the purpose. I'll wear it with the visor down in the bar and hope to be mistaken for daft punk.

wa-loaf

A friend bought one for her daughter. I though it was pretty cool when I first saw it (and so did my kids), but as soon as she wiped out and the inside of the visor filled with snow I realized what a bad idea they are.

Lazer

I went without a helmet for a while without incident. The first day I wore my helmet I slammed the back of my head and face planted. I'm a fan of the Red helmets. Good to know about the visors.

dlague

If you buy a helmet get it at Killington comes with a free lift ticket good anytime after January 27

Wavewheeler

Love my Smith helmet. It saved my noggin when I fell on ice on Racers Edge at Hunter halfway down and bumped the rest of the way down mostly with my head. Ouch. Because of it, I got up and skied it again without incident. It keeps my head warmer too. :)

I had to fight with my daughter to get one but now she has a Red one and swears by it.

wa-loaf

Love my Smith helmet. It saved my noggin when I fell on ice on Racers Edge at Hunter halfway down and bumped the rest of the way down mostly with my head. Ouch. Because of it, I got up and skied it again without incident. It keeps my head warmer too. :)

I had to fight with my daughter to get one but now she has a Red one and swears by it.

If you hit it really hard, it's time to replace it.

Hawkshot99

I think that is only if there is damage visible.

EPS shells are single impact. They look like a very solid foam piece. However it is actually quite porous(sp). When you impact it the air is pushed out compresing the foam. It is like a air bag slowing your head down.
Unfortunetly this is not always visible to the eye.

dlague

Just got a Smith Helmet and it is the best one I ever had! Third one so far!

HD333

Just got a Smith Helmet and it is the best one I ever had! Third one so far!

Levelnine has some great deals on helmets.

Picked up a Smith Variant Brim for the wife and one for myself, I think they were $70, basically half price. I also got my old man one, he has never worn a helmet before now.

If you know your goggles are comparable they are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twinplanx

Anybody got a good deal on one of those MIPS Helmets? There was a link in another thread to the these helmets that step up the concussion protection. The link I followed explained how the technology works and listed some helmets that are using it. I'm always looking for the best price, but don't know where to start. :-(

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Puck it

EPS shells are single impact. They look like a very solid foam piece. However it is actually quite porous(sp). When you impact it the air is pushed out compresing the foam. It is like a air bag slowing your head down.
Unfortunetly this is not always visible to the eye.

I agreed with statment about the material, but a single impact needs to be defined. I will go by my first statement and add if a concussion was determined also. I would be buying helmets once or twice a year then.