• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hey Camp ... Subi Impreza 2012

wa-loaf

I keep getting emails from Subaru about it. The latest said that it is coming with a "new" boxer engine that will get 36mpg. Are they finally getting the diesel over here?

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's impressive for AWD. I'm sure one of these days, I'll post a thread "Hell has frozen over, I bought a Subaru"

mainly because I have a feeling they'll eventually be the only manufacturer left offering AWD vehicles with manual transmissions.

wa-loaf

The full text from the email:

2012 SUBARU IMPREZA: SEE IT LIVE APRIL 20TH!
Visit subaru.com on April 20th to witness the official unveiling of the all-new 2012 Subaru Impreza at the 2011 New York International Auto Show. Then log on to the 2012 Subaru Impreza Facebook page to submit your questions about the new Impreza and watch as a Subaru of America executive responds to fans in a live stream.

Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and an all-new SUBARU BOXER® engine make the 2012 Impreza the most fuel-efficient All-Wheel Drive car in America at 36 MPG.* Join us on April 20th to learn more!

mondeo

Hmm, I'll have my '06 STI paid off next year. It would be nice to see a 325-350hp replacement that gets 30mpg highway with a DSG.

And folding rear seats. I mean, really, Subaru. Carrying skis in the front seat is not conducive to passenger transport.

tjf67

Hmm, I'll have my '06 STI paid off next year. It would be nice to see a 325-350hp replacement that gets 30mpg highway with a DSG.

And folding rear seats. I mean, really, Subaru. Carrying skis in the front seat is not conducive to passenger transport.

I have a full sized sedan that has 360 hp with AWD. I can fit my 170 skis inthe trunk with out putting the seat down. I do however cause it is easier. Just took them out and put them in the closet:-(

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have a full sized sedan that has 360 hp with AWD. I can fit my 170 skis inthe trunk with out putting the seat down. I do however cause it is easier. Just took them out and put them in the closet:-(

you think mondeo is going to go from his boy racer car to a Ford Taurus? :lol:

bout as likely as me buying another used set of wheels and tires

mondeo

360hp in a 4300lb car != 325hp in a 3300lb car.

Also, my shortest skis are 178. You still on beginners?

campgottagopee

Honestly, they haven't said anything about a diesel.

Official unveiling is next week on the 20th @ the NYC Auto Show....I'm not sure who is going, but if it's me I'll post as soon as I find out fer ya.

skijay

So they are using the new engine from the 11 Forester in the 12 Impreza? In order to acheive that type of fuel economy I assume they are using the CVT.

I do wish they would bring the Boxer Diesel to North America.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Honestly, they haven't said anything about a diesel.

Official unveiling is next week on the 20th @ the NYC Auto Show....I'm not sure who is going, but if it's me I'll post as soon as I find out fer ya.
I'm thinking about going to the show this year. It's been a few years since I went.

Edd

I keep getting emails from Subaru about it. The latest said that it is coming with a "new" boxer engine that will get 36mpg.

I've gotten the same one twice this week. I was curious so I started searching for as many photos as I could but I didn't see anything design-wise that did it for me. I love the look of the current hatchback but it is just too small for me.

I'm sure one of these days, I'll post a thread "Hell has frozen over, I bought a Subaru"

I am counting the days.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wow, this is funny. I was totally going to post this today. I bet Camp's lips are sealed or he'll get sacked, heh!

This looks incredible so far. 36 MPG solves one of the biggest problems with Subbies... even their smallest cars were under 30 MPG highway which is honestly terrible when many other compacts are now getting 40 MPG. Bigger than the current Impreza which is good since the Legacy/Outback are now bloating leaving a HUGE hole in the Subbie lineup for reasonably sized vehicles. Especially in the wagon class.... a small hatch or an SUV are the only choices. I wonder if the 2012 Impreza Hatch will split the difference? Is this the reincarnation of the non-SUV Outback Wagon?

From what I have read, the reason for the big MPG jump is a lot less HP. I think somewhere around 30-35 less HP than previous years? Not sure how much the engine change effects it. Personally, 140 HP is more than enough for me if the curb weight isn't ridiculous. I was originally really "up" on diesel. But with so many compacts hitting 40 MPG, it is really tough to justify diesel for small cars. The WV Wagen was justifiable because it got more than 10+ MPG than the next closest wagon. This 2012 Impreza really closes that gap. If price comes in under $20k for an auto, it really makes the WV Jetta Wagen seem like a waste of money.

Well, I was pretty much set on a Hyundai Elantra Touring this Summer. Now I am full of doubt. Looking forward to next week to find out more!!

campgottagopee

Wow, this is funny. I was totally going to post this today. I bet Camp's lips are sealed or he'll get sacked, heh!

This looks incredible so far. 36 MPG solves one of the biggest problems with Subbies... even their smallest cars were under 30 MPG highway which is honestly terrible when many other compacts are now getting 40 MPG. Bigger than the current Impreza which is good since the Legacy/Outback are now bloating leaving a HUGE hole in the Subbie lineup for reasonably sized vehicles. Especially in the wagon class.... a small hatch or an SUV are the only choices. I wonder if the 2012 Impreza Hatch will split the difference? Is this the reincarnation of the non-SUV Outback Wagon?

From what I have read, the reason for the big MPG jump is a lot less HP. I think somewhere around 30-35 less HP than previous years? Not sure how much the engine change effects it. Personally, 140 HP is more than enough for me if the curb weight isn't ridiculous. I was originally really "up" on diesel. But with so many compacts hitting 40 MPG, it is really tough to justify diesel for small cars. The WV Wagen was justifiable because it got more than 10+ MPG than the next closest wagon. This 2012 Impreza really closes that gap. If price comes in under $20k for an auto, it really makes the WV Jetta Wagen seem like a waste of money.

Well, I was pretty much set on a Hyundai Elantra Touring this Summer. Now I am full of doubt. Looking forward to next week to find out more!!

It will be worth the wait, I promise. Subie has hit a home run w/ this car.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is the great mileage with a CVT or a MT?

If it's the former, consider my Subie curiosity short lived. :lol:

legalskier

2012-subaru-impreza-sedan-spy-photo-placement-626x382.jpg

2012-subaru-impreza-sedan-spy-photo-105-626x382.jpg

The new Impreza borrows quite a bit of styling from its older sibling, the Legacy—especially the headlights and the muscular rear haunches. Beyond that, picking out the design features that are reminiscent of other cars turns into a game of I Spy as played by the Micro Machines spokesman and his family. The grille looks like the Cruze’s! The greenhouse reminds me of the Saturn Ion’s! In truth, the Impreza is one of the few cars with design that almost doesn’t matter. Most buyers will be more interested in the all-weather traction and the excellent claimed fuel economy.***
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2012-subaru-impreza-spied-completely-uncovered/