• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How many of you have the ski patrol phone number on your phone?

ctdubl07

Having small kids, I've had the MSSP 4005 number in my phone for at at least 10 yrs.....used it 2 times thankfully not for us.

I don't think I've never seen a Mtn "post" their emergency numbers in or around a lodge.
There must be a school of thought as to why the concept of how to contact a Mtns safety team in an emergency is not more widely advertised....

mrvpilgrim

Having small kids, I've had the MSSP 4005 number in my phone for at at least 10 yrs.....used it 2 times thankfully not for us.

I don't think I've never seen a Mtn "post" their emergency numbers in or around a lodge.
There must be a school of thought as to why the concept of how to contact a Mtns safety team in an emergency is not more widely advertised....
Sugarbush Has a call ski patrol link on the front screen of their App

KustyTheKlown

i used the app at deer valley to contact ski patrol by phone. i was a tree area called centennial. i was about to thread two trees but felt a little fast so i did a sort of intentional fall to my hip to slow down. one ski popped off. and it seemed to completely disappear. i couldn't really climb up to look any higher than where i was, the snow was so so deep. at one point my leg went thru a crust layer and i realized i was sitting on top of feet of deep light powder that could possibly swallow me. eventually 2 skiers showed up and helped me check in the tree and tree well. no dice. then a third skier showed up, higher than us, and after a bunch of probing he hit my ski. me and the other searchers were way too low. as i was clicking my ski back in, patrol turned up.

that's the second time in my life i have called patrol. first time was getting cliffed out at whistler when i was 19 and so so stupid. patrol got a case of kokanee beer that night.

drjeff

Accuracy in reporting of the call is some of it. As they would rather have a staff member, with likely better knowledge of the location of the incident (trail name near such and such cross over or by lift #X tower #Y) call/radio it in than potentially have a guest telling them "it's on that trail over there" to help speed the arrival of a patroler onsite. There certainly are pros and cons to this way of doing it

2Planker

Accuracy in reporting of the call is some of it. As they would rather have a staff member, with likely better knowledge of the location of the incident (trail name near such and such cross over or by lift #X tower #Y) call/radio it in than potentially have a guest telling them "it's on that trail over there" to help speed the arrival of a patroler onsite. There certainly are pros and cons to this way of doing it
If a staffer calls it in generally one patroller responds. If a guest calls it in we'll send 3-4 patrollers to thoroughly cover all the other trails in that area.
Of course it all goes out the window on holidays/weekends when you may only have 1 or 2 patrollers or sleds up top.....
We've seen days w/ 80+ "codes" and only 12-15 of us on the hill. NO FUN at all

BodeMiller1

If tell a lift guy.
Then it's on him.
Cells at big resorts can be spotty. Small don't bet on it. If I had a kid. Maybe.

Dickc

I ran into something like this at Sunday River a few years ago. Came across some people with an injured member of their party. They said someone had skied down to report it but it had been a while. I called patrol on my phone as I keep their number in contacts. I was able to give a very accurate location, and it turns out they were looking all over for this accident, but the reporter who went done to tell a liftie, got the location wrong. In VERY short order the patrol had two patrollers there, and a sled. The lady was unable to bear weight on the leg, so off she went. Glad I had that number.

Kingslug20

Figure I'll call 911....easier to do if I'm messed up...and I ski all over the place so too many numbers.

skiur

Being that I leave my phone in the car while skiing, having the number for ski patrol in it would be pretty useless.

BodeMiller1

If I go somewhere for more than a couple of days, I bring a scanner. It's fun to listen to mt ops when their grooming and the like. I've never picked up a digital one, butt you can pick up a lot of "news" ...

Now you see youts walking around with ear buds and you know their eve's dropping. Kind of weird. Butt to get back on point.

shawnanigans

The Slopes App has a direct button to call ski patrol of whatever mountain you are recording at.