• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Huge Thunderstorms!

Zand

Never gonna stop now. 6"+ of rain forecasted for the Berkshires tonight through tomorrow. I think it was Newark that just got .5" in 7 minutes! Imagine if that was snow... I think that would be like 7".

Over 3 inches of rain fell in the past 24 hours in my Hood and now the sun is shining and it's only supposed to be 75 degrees today and down to a crisp 60 degrees tonight..woo hoo..the heat wave is over..

drjeff

Renamed this thread since we're talking about the NE now... :) I think it's going to be a stormy night....

hfd_None_anim.gif

Yup, I'll 100% agree with that radar picture that shows a swath of yellow and orange 1/2 way between the Hartford and Providence abbreviations :eek:
We're talking cats and dogs and load the Ark type rain going on right now!

Greg

Staff member
Had a pretty good storm last night around midnight. Tons of rain this morning too. Making up for the lack of rain the first half of the month.

bvibert

Staff member
Had a pretty good storm last night around midnight. Tons of rain this morning too. Making up for the lack of rain the first half of the month.

Did you have power this morning? The traffic lights were out in Thomaston when I got off the highway...

Greg

Staff member
Did you have power this morning? The traffic lights were out in Thomaston when I got off the highway...

Yeah. In the 3 years we've been living there, we only lost power a few times, and never while we were even home.

Warp Daddy

All right NOW i really am Pissed !!

Turn this damn rainmaker off its been on since Friday -- Enuf dammit

The "Back 40 " looks like a TVA project

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bad scene this afternoon in southern nh. never in my 33 years have i seen such dark clouds. apparently one dead a few towns over from a collappsed building

wa-loaf

Bad scene this afternoon in southern nh. never in my 33 years have i seen such dark clouds. apparently one dead a few towns over from a collappsed building

There was a waterspout down in RI yesterday. It's really crazy today, the rain lets up for a little bit and then gets going at it harder than before!

deadheadskier

Staff member

thankfully for myself, I'm about ten miles south of where the real damage was going on; just a ton of rain here. But I was up there right before it hit starting to drive south and I was actually a tad frightened by the clouds, which I've never had that feeling. It looked nastier than any storm I've seen and unfortunately for a number of people it was :(

drjeff

I got an e-mail today from the owner's association of my place by Mount Snow. Apparently this past Sunday evening around 7PM they had a major t-storm/microburst just miss the northern edge of Mount Snow by just a couple of hundred yards. Lots of downed trees just North of Mount Snow and national weather service estimates of wind gusts over 100mph in the path of the microburst :eek:

Wacky/wild weather in and around the Northeast the past week to say the least.

Trekchick

We had those storms Friday and Saturday. They brought a weird vibe with them that hung over our Motocross Race on Sunday, like a Black cloud of doom.
Since then, its been sunshine and 70's. Perfect riding weather!

We're due for a big Thunderstorm this evening..it's incredibly muggy outside..We had over 6 inches of rain in July..mainly from Thunderstorms..it seems like a long time since there's been a day when it rained all day..

roark

bump.

Intense, nasty storm just rolled thru SW NH.
P1040821.JPG

Probably only about 20 minutes of actual precip, but long enough for ice cube size hail to ravage my garden :evil:

P1040833.JPG

P1040825.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

powderman

Just think about how awesome hail would be if you could ski on it

Just think about how awesome hail would be if you could ski on it

Well if it's a big enough hailstorm and you have your skis handy..It's do-able. I've skied around my neighborhood before and there are some decent 50 vertical foot hills with a blue square pitch...no jump turns required. In the Guinness Book of World Records..I remember reading about a localized hailstorm in the midwest where baseball sized hail fell and it left 3 feet of hail accumulation...I'm sure the residents were more concerned about their damaged homes/cars...dead livestock than shredding the gnar in the cornfield..