• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Inside Edition investigates pot-smoking skiers at Breckenridge

MidnightJester

Thank you piece of shit inside Edition. Thank you whoever took the news there. No joke YOU BOTH SUCK. That cabin stood for years now your shitty work had destroyed a loved place. Screw you dirtbags. Hope a snow cat runs you over

C-Rex

What's really stupid is how they corelate taking "puff after puff after puff" to taking drink after drink after drink. You can really only get so high. If you have good weed, taking 2 good hits will put you in about the same state as taking 10. It's not like alcohol where you just get more and more effed up. Riding high is like driving high, people are often more cautious, take fewer risks, and tend to over estimate their speed which slows them down. Also, a seasoned smoker is not as affected as someone who rarely smokes or has never because they are not used to the sensation. People with no experience that try to speak about pot just end up sounding like complete asses. They make a ton of assumptions that are often way off base. Screw these "reporters" and their not so hidden agenda.

skiNEwhere

Looks like someone high up in management at Breck or VR was thoroughly embarrassed by that report, and that was their knee-jerk reaction, to blow it up. I have no idea where that cabin is, or if it's even in bounds, but they better rope that area off now, because I don't think falling on a bunch of rusty nails and having to get a tetanus shot is part of the "inherit risks" of skiing

4aprice

So you blow up a cabin that people use to discretely partake and litter the forest floor? Meanwhile there appear to me to be a great set of trees all around that one could easily slide behind and fire up. Make any sense? How many guests even knew it was there? I understand not wanting it smoked out in public but really?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

skiNEwhere

In case anyone was wondering where is WAS

+39° 27' 21.00", -106° 4' 33.00"

Looks like it was actually blow up 2 or 3 days ago based on the reddit posts.

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, this is going to :stirpot: but here goes. I'm admittedly straight laced and never have smoked pot. In college I thought it reeked and was just plain dumb. Sorry. My wife more than makes up for me...she was a Phish head and did all that.

So I watched the report and laughed my ass off at some of the segments. Personally I go to ski to get outside, not to spend hours smoking or drinking. I guess it is just not my thing.

And while I know that there is a lot of anger about Inside Edition, and I can't really comment on what they did or did not do with the story, I think there is some truth as to this "new" problem. They reported what they saw. It's pretty widely known that marijuana, like alcohol, can impair your thought process and motor skills. Granted we don't know what those guys look like when sober, it seems pretty clear to me that they are riding and acting impaired. Would you want that on the slopes? Not me.

Now I know that people here are going to say that these guys were amateurs, lightweights, or whatever and that others can "handle their pot" like folks say that they can drink responsibly. Both impair you and your judgment. Once you start, you may not do what you intended. It just happens. I personally drink but I don't get wasted. I have one or two. But some just can't do that because of their predisposition, peer pressure, whatever.

I think that, unfortunately, there are now going to be more folks behind the wheel of a car or on the slopes impaired and I think it is not a great thing. Sorry to be the 1950's Dad in here, but it is just plain dumb.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Stirring the pot is fine! Breck was going to get flack by "allowing" the activity so they had to do something. Why not blow it to hell?

I wont shed a tear for a hippie who needs to find another place to toke up.

JimG.

Staff member
What's really stupid is how they corelate taking "puff after puff after puff" to taking drink after drink after drink. You can really only get so high. If you have good weed, taking 2 good hits will put you in about the same state as taking 10. It's not like alcohol where you just get more and more effed up. Riding high is like driving high, people are often more cautious, take fewer risks, and tend to over estimate their speed which slows them down. Also, a seasoned smoker is not as affected as someone who rarely smokes or has never because they are not used to the sensation. People with no experience that try to speak about pot just end up sounding like complete asses. They make a ton of assumptions that are often way off base. Screw these "reporters" and their not so hidden agenda.

This is well said.

Smoking OR Drinking in excess and skiing is stupid. I saw a guy earlier this season at Killington...the guy was so wasted he couldn't stand up! It was embarrassing.

BenedictGomez

Now I know that people here are going to say that these guys were amateurs, lightweights, or whatever and that others can "handle their pot" like folks say that they can drink responsibly. Both impair you and your judgment. Once you start, you may not do what you intended. It just happens. I personally drink but I don't get wasted. I have one or two. But some just can't do that because of their predisposition, peer pressure, whatever.

I think that, unfortunately, there are now going to be more folks behind the wheel of a car or on the slopes impaired and I think it is not a great thing. Sorry to be the 1950's Dad in here, but it is just plain dumb.

Here here. Couldnt have said it better myself.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I also don't smoke other than a very short handful of times in high school. Never in college.

That said, I don't have a problem with people that like it. Leave the building alone.

What was the point of literally exploding the building?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stirring the pot is fine! Breck was going to get flack by "allowing" the activity so they had to do something. Why not blow it to hell?

I wont shed a tear for a hippie who needs to find another place to toke up.

I saw on UN that the Forest Service did the demo.

timm

Riding high is like driving high, people are often more cautious, take fewer risks, and tend to over estimate their speed which slows them down.

This basic assertion, that being high somehow makes you SAFER, has been made a couple times in this thread and it is absurd.

Just like with alcohol there is a difference been imbibing and being intoxicated but being "high" is being intoxicated plain and simple.

jaysunn

@CREX,
Very well said

I am an avid smoker on the hill, and I feel that it controls me in a way to relax and be calm. When I am sober I am fucking crazy!!

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
I saw on UN that the Forest Service did the demo.

Exactly the point I was going to bring up...

Breckenridge exists within the White River National Forest. From what I could find and understand the construction of a permanent structure is illegal within the National Forest and I will assume no permit was given for it... Therefore this was an illegal structure that they have every right to demolish, along with rest of them. Nothing left to argue.