• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Interesting observation of mine regarding full suspension nomenclature-

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
When you hear someone refer to a Horst link four bar... or non Horst four bar (faux bar sometimes)....

All of those designs are technically a five bar linkage. I wonder how many mechanical engineers who design or ride these things notice that. Kinda funny when you think about how long it's been wrong...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Any pictures or diagrams of said design to illustrate your point?

Ok... kind of.

Here's one from Turner's website-

08spot_geo.gif

So you have what's usually called the rocker as one link, the shock is actually two links coupled by a sliding joint rather than a pivoting joint, the front triangle is one link, the chain stay is one link, and the seat stay is one link.

1 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 6.

Greg

Staff member
Marc is an alien. That is all.

bvibert

Staff member
Ok... kind of.

Here's one from Turner's website-

08spot_geo.gif

So you have what's usually called the rocker as one link, the shock is actually two links coupled by a sliding joint rather than a pivoting joint, the front triangle is one link, the chain stay is one link, and the seat stay is one link.

1 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 6.

You win, I guess.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm just saying.... four bar isn't accurate. It would make as much sense as going around calling a truss on a bridge a four bar linkage.

MRGisevil

I actually expected this kind of response for an architect, since all you can manage to design is a 3 bar linkage, otherwise known as a truss.

Might only be a 3 bar linkage, but you can bet your nomenclaturing ass it'll be a LEED silver linkage, at the minimum. I'll even shave half a point off energy and atmoshphere by utilizing recyclable links.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm just saying.... four bar isn't accurate. It would make as much sense as going around calling a truss on a bridge a four bar linkage.

It's not all that different from what is considered a 4 bar suspension in the automotive world though. They don't count the car/truck chassis as a link like you're doing with the front triangle.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
It's not all that different from what is considered a 4 bar suspension in the automotive world though. They don't count the car/truck chassis as a link like you're doing with the front triangle.

Depends on what type of suspension design you're talking about. Double wishbone suspension-

300px-Double_wishbone_suspension.jpg

This is technically also a six bar slider, but it's reduntant. Take away the shock and spring, and you're left with a four bar linkage that will track the same. It just wouldn't function very well.

The car chassis in this case, and the front triangle to a lesser degree would probably be considered (by any competent mechanical engineer) to be designated the ground link, but it is a link nonetheless. One of the characteristics of linkages is you can designate any one link as the ground link and the thing will still create the same motion.

It's arguable, though, whether the front triangle is really a "ground" link since it moves an awful lot with respect to ground.... however, it is a as much a link as any other in that design.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
And actually, you're right about the similarity to a bike design. It is the same design, but the shock is on the opposite side on a bike, to get the leveraged travel advantage which isn't necessary on a car. Saying it's reduntant isn't really right. The slider does affect the motion in that it limits travel. So it is necessary. It can be simplified at the sacrifice of functionality though.

bvibert

Staff member
An example of a rear 4 link suspension (no shocks/springs shown):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6s88d2FbPE

Similar in number of linkages, except the axle on a bike stays (thankfully) parallel to the frame (front triangle). My point is there's still as many links by your definition, yet it's still called a 4 link. I'm not saying you're wrong, rather pointing out that it's not necessarily just the bike industry that's been in error all these years.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
An example of a rear 4 link suspension (no shocks/springs shown):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6s88d2FbPE

Similar in number of linkages, except the axle on a bike stays (thankfully) parallel to the frame (front triangle). My point is there's still as many links by your definition, yet it's still called a 4 link. I'm not saying you're wrong, rather pointing out that it's not necessarily just the bike industry that's been in error all these years.

Can't watch yt at work.

They are in error, most definitely. They just dumbed it down for consumers, that's all.

bvibert

Staff member
Don't worry, it's a stupid animation anyway.

4 bar sounds much better than 6 bar slider. ;)