• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Introducing AlpineZone.com's "Resident" Boot Fitter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

galen_52657

Self-boot fitting for the rest of us....

It's great to have an expert boot fitter on the board. But I wonder how many skiers there are like me who will most likely never be able to justify the expense of buying new high-end ski boots from a shop, much less using a boot fitter and paying for a custom fitting.

I love to ski, but I only ski about 10 days a year and I have 3 teenage kids (who all snowboard). My main form of exercise and hobby is bicycling. My cycling equipment cost about $3k, but I use it 3/4 days a week year round. I buy used skis and boots or leftover overstock. The problem with ski boots is wearing them around the shop has nothing to do with skiing them. After I bought the boots I am using now and skied them a few times, I figured out they were a little big. I fooled around with lots of different sock combinations. I took out the liner made some sole shims out of cardboard and put them under the liner to raise up the liner and make the boot smaller. I have big ankle bones. The tongue was rubbing one ankle bone raw. My solution was to trim away the corner of the tongue. I also bought some thick socks and cut holes in the socks for my outside ankle bones. Believe it or not, this did the trick!

Skiiboot

Galen,
Everybody can benafit from a good fit. A good fitter knows how to fit boots (not just high end boots). A good fitter should have been able to tell that the boot you were going to buy was going to be to big. Most boots that you buy off the wall with no work to them will give you apx. 20% performance. Thats pritty tough to improve your skiing. If the boot is to big it gets worse. If you have any anatomical problems or range of motion problems. A good fitter can also help with problems in the boot to make the boot more comfortable. I speak for myself I fit more than ski boots, I fit runners, hikers and a lot of cyclist. This is to get the most efficent stride,gait or peddle stroke.
So I think a fitter can help weather you ski 1 day of 300 a year, it is in a different capacity but it will help.

Thank you

Jeff

JimG.

Staff member
Skiiboot said:
Galen,
Everybody can benafit from a good fit. A good fitter knows how to fit boots (not just high end boots). A good fitter should have been able to tell that the boot you were going to buy was going to be to big. Most boots that you buy off the wall with no work to them will give you apx. 20% performance. Thats pritty tough to improve your skiing. If the boot is to big it gets worse. If you have any anatomical problems or range of motion problems. A good fitter can also help with problems in the boot to make the boot more comfortable. I speak for myself I fit more than ski boots, I fit runners, hikers and a lot of cyclist. This is to get the most efficent stride,gait or peddle stroke.
So I think a fitter can help weather you ski 1 day of 300 a year, it is in a different capacity but it will help.

Thank you

Jeff

And this is the heart of the matter...everyone will benefit from a good boot fitting. My boot fitter tells me my feet are more or less ideal...good arches, not too low or high; not too wide, not too skinny; good solid ankles; no significant bowing of my lower legs.

I know I go on about this, but after my first custom boot fitting my skiing went to a completely different level. I started to do all of the things I had been told to do but never "felt" in my skiing. I stopped floundering and started ripping.

"Get thee to a bootfitter" is my motto for anyone buying new boots or complaining about older boots.

davehor

Just wanted to give an update
I asked jeff about a month ago if he could recommend any boots with a small last for advanced skiers.
Just wanted to say that I found a boot that wasn't mentioned and it might help others.

The Rossignol Elite Bandit 1, the shell is alittle longer than most others and so you can size down and get a boot that really wraps around the foot, I'd suggest it to people with a shoe width B, like me. The thermoliner really gets rid of any hotspots. I hope that it works as good on the slopes, and hopefully will require only minimum bootfitting after its broken in. It's a really classy boot and looks good too. Comparable to X-wave 9/10 in flex.
I love the boot and I haven't skied once with it.
I'd like to thank jeff, cause his mail gave me enough knowledge that I was able to really find the boots that matched my feet, and not heed the advice of lazy salespersonal.
Just like to say, that all "bootfitters" are not made equally, those willing to give advice for free and to so many, are really are there to help people who might otherwise give up the sport.
Thanks Jeff, and to everbody else that gives their two cents

Charlie Schuessler

galen_52657 said:
…I wonder how many skiers there are like me who will most likely never be able to justify the expense of buying new high-end ski boots from a shop, much less using a boot fitter and paying for a custom fitting… I only ski about 10 days a year…main form of exercise and hobby is bicycling 3/4 days a week year round…

Based on your writing, it appears that your hands on with your hobby…get a copy of the book "The Athletic Skier" by Warren Witherall, you will be amazed how important the foot-boot connection is to your ability to control the ski. Any used book store will be able to get you copy of it for around $15-$20…

Skiiboot said:
…Everybody can benefit from a good fit. A good fitter knows how to fit boots (not just high-end boots). A good fitter should have been able to tell that the boot you were going to buy was going to be to big… A good fitter can also help with problems in the boot to make the boot more comfortable. I speak for myself I fit more than ski boots, I fit runners, hikers and a lot of cyclist. This is to get the most efficient stride, gait or peddle stroke. So I think a fitter can help…

Over the last 5-years I’ve gone from being a recreational bicyclist to an enthusiast, I don’t race but I average 100-days a year on my road bicycle and another 40-days on my mountain bicycle… I found the bicycle-shoe fit compared to that of a ski boot…a precise-comfortable fit equals better performance...

JimG. said:
...everyone will benefit from a good boot fitting…I know I go on about this, but after my first custom boot fitting my skiing went to a completely different level. I started to do all of the things I had been told to do but never "felt" in my skiing. I stopped floundering and started ripping.

"Get thee to a bootfitter" is my motto for anyone buying new boots or complaining about older boots.

I couldn’t agree more with the statements posted by Jeff or Jim…I’m convinced that proper fitting ski boots & cycling shoes markedly improved my skiing & cycling performance, WITHOUT working harder. I’m less exhausted at the end of the day and that alone it is worth paying a professional. :D

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
I don't live far from Heinos (on Route 23s in the Wayne, NJ area). They are very good with boots.

Anyway, I have a question. I have always had a tough time finding boots which I can get into. I have had issues with one of my ankles and I have circulation issues there. Because of this, that leg is always swollen and my calf (obviously is larger than it should be).

So, it's always hard for me to find boots I can even get closed. Salamon seems to be the only company who makes boots I can wear (at least the last time I checked about 5 years ago). They always seem to have one boot (none of their others) which I can get on. Even then, I still have problems.

I had a custom foot liner and custom inserts made when I was out in Whistler a few years ago. They also blew out the boots a little and moved the buckles to make it easier for me to buckle them on my bad leg. It all helped but I'm having some problems again. My feet always seem to hurt in the morning on my first day of skiing for the weekend (I patrol so I ski Saturday/Sunday). Sometimes it hurts enough I have to stop skiing for a while. By lunch time, I'm ok though. Most of the pain is in my problematic leg/ankle/foot but I do get some on my good leg/ankle/foot.

I'm wondering if there are new boots out there I can take a look at. I'm a big, athletic guy and need something a little stiffer since I'm heavy enough to flex just about anything. I'm a more aggressive skier but not a racer by any means.

Anything worth looking at these days?

Thanks.

Skiiboot

Rick, See Greg at Heino's he is the owner and a very close friend, I also get down there sometimes to work in the store when I visit the family. OK back on track, I think without seeing your foot there could be several boots that could work. Key points make sure the boot has a firm flex, to soft or to stiff cause can problems. Make sure the boot has a spolier that can be removed if needed. Greg will know how to size the boot. So choices Tecnica Magnesium, Nordica Speedmachine 12-14 Head has two boots that are very nice, Sal X-wave 10 and course not the plug. There are other boots but the important part is that they can be ajusted. Don't forget to strech you legs and feet everyday you will be suprised how much it will do for you.

Any questions please ask, I hope this helps.

Thank you

Jeff

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
I will have to stop back in at Heinos. I bought my current boots there but I didn't use Greg (not that they weren't good). I'll be sure to ask for him.

My leg problems are (unfortunately) more than a stretching problem. I'm working with a vascular surgeon (again) to see if there's anything I can do. I've had DVT a few times in this leg because of my circulation issues. However, I'm still very active, ski (not as much this year due to our second kid coming), play a lot of sports and train mixed martial arts. So I do tend to stretch it and work it regularly.

If you have any suggestions as to what else I should look into with my leg I'd be happy to email you more details. I know it's hard to make suggestions with little to no information. I don't want to bore everyone here with the gorey details. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!!

bvibert

Staff member
Skiiboot said:
Don't forget to strech you legs and feet everyday you will be suprised how much it will do for you.

Jeff, any suggestions on ways to stretch out my feet? I've never thought of stretching them specifically...

Skiiboot

Brian, You need to get the blood moving, walk around a little with just sock on, before you put on your ski socks. work your toes up and down, the most important toes are the big toe and the little toe 1st and 5th. If you stretch the 1st toe well it will stretch some of the arch. Also work on the calf and lower leg, by pulling the forefoot up. Move the foot rotating motion to losen the ankle. There are other stretches, but these should get you going.

Thank you for the question

Jeff

uphillklimber

Jeff, I have recently realized a problem I had with skiing. Early this season, I could not ski at all like I did last year. Someone here mentioned boot fit. Then I realized my boots were too loose, especially as the day wore on. So I cranked them down a notch. Suddenly, I was attached to my skiis, instead of floating over them. The improvement was immediate and immense.

Typically, I never relax the latches on my boots. Should I or shouldn't I? Why or why not?

Now, I realize a few more things. At the end of the day, when I take off the boots, I notice that the velcro strap at the top of the boot is slack, as opposed to snug as it was in the morning. The boots are Nordica W10. The sole says 26.0 26.5. I typically wear an 8 1/2 street shoe. As the day wears on, I need to tighten the boots up ever so slightly, perhaps twice in a day. Pretty much, I tighten the boots up a bit in response to my heel lifting and my toe being able to reach the front. Now what I find is that if I tighten them too much, I get some pressure pain at the front of my ankle, right about where the foot meets the ankle, and I'll loosen up just a bit... Occasionally, I'll feel my foot going to sleep just a bit on a long lift without a foot rest.

I just gotta wonder if I am describing a nightmare to you. :eek:

Back to the discussion. I have toes that are spread, a bit of a high arch and a bit of a narrow heel. Being a construction worker, I don't mind strapping my feet down a bit, but I sure wouldn't mind a good comfy fit either. I'm guessing they didn't exactly fit me real good, particularly after reading Greg's fitting experience. I'm also guessing that my boots may be too big since I can reach the toe end as the day wears on, until I tighten them.

Your observations, please.

Skiiboot

Bob, Sounds like the boot is a little big, and not fitting you. I don't think you have a nightmare, just need a little help holding your lower leg so your heel will stay in the back of the boot, then you can go from there

Thank you

Jeff

chowe3

Old Salomon boots........cont.

Jeff, thanks for the reply on the old boot question and them being worth while. They are actually older than that I think, they are the Salomon Superforce 9. I don't know if that is same or not. They are a rear entry and I heard that is not good for some reason. Should I look at them further being brand new and all?

uphillklimber

Jeff, thanks for the reply. Next time I'm in line for new boots, I'll be giving you a ring. Sounds like I'll get a better fit than I have in the past.

ann in ma

Thanks for all of the great information you've provided, Jeff. I've been wondering just how your service works - do you actually sell boots yourself, or do your clients buy them elsewhere and bring them to you? If someone were to travel to see you, are there multiple appointments involved over the course of days/weeks, or ??

I am recently getting back into skiing after 7 years and 2 kids. Prior to kids I was skiing almost every weekend and had orthotics due to pronation (what a difference it made!) - now that my foot has changed shape, I need to start over. I have been spending this year in season-rented boots, and I have never felt so inept and uncomfortable on skis in my life. So I realize that good boots are a priority for me, and am planning a purchase for next season.

If you don't mind, one further question: my 6 year old has started skiing this year, and she's now an advanced beginner, skiing some blues. She loves to ski, and I can see it will become part of her life. She is also in rented equipment. Given the way kids grow, does it even make sense to consider buying her her own boots?

Thanks
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.