• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Introducing AlpineZone.com's "Resident" Boot Fitter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiiboot

Chowe3 Try to stay away from rear entry boots. Not many good things have come from them. They also will not help your skiing.

Jeff

Skiiboot

Ann, Thank you for the questions. I myself do not sell boots, but I work with shop across the street that does if you need boots. I work with clients from all over the country and the world, so making an Appt. schedule is different for everybody. After the first fit, there may be 1-2 adjustments to get the boot the way it needs to be. If you and your daughter ski more than 2 times a year you should look at boots for her. A boot that puts her in the correct postion will change her skiing, and help give her the ability to improve and increase confidence. The most important thing for her is that the boot is the correct size. As long as the boot is the correct size it is easy to balance her.
There is a lot more to this subject call me if you have anymore question

Thanks

Jeff

roark

First impressions of my experience with Jeff

I went to see Jeff yesterday. What a difference! I brought a pair of boots I had given up on (technically the "right" size based on removing liner, checking distance from heel to shell) since I invariably lost a toenail after wearing them. Jeff did custom footbeds and spent a fair amount of time working with the boots (removing some of the plastic on the outside of the liner, working with the heels from inside the shell, opening up the toes, shin shims, etc.). They feel like entirely different boots, he was able to get my heels cupped nicely by the liner and while I would never call them comfortable they feel a whole heck of a lot better than before. My foot is secure. I'm looking forward to getting out on them, will be skiing them tonight @ Pat's and will post further impressions.

Also: apparently I'm the first to bring in the 10% off for AZ members coupon. I'm shocked Jeff isn't getting more of a response. It's certainly not cheap but I feel well worth the expense. Custom footbeds can be transferred between boots so you're looking at a significantly smaller expense when you get a new pair. Without even skiing these boots since the fitting I feel it's money well spent. He'll take care of you after the initial fitting as well, I guess it usually takes a couple trips to get things just right. Again, will post as about my experience.

Robbski

Had a great fitting session with Jeff last Friday on my way home from Waterville. Here's my TR.

I've got some hard to fit feet and I was sure foot pain was holding me back from getting where I wanted to be as a skier (even though I was on a nearly new pair of pretty decent boots that fit much better than the previous pair).

So I noticed Jeff's name, ad and the 10% coupon here on AlpineZone and decided to check his operation out.

Jeff is a very knowledgeable, pleasant and patient guy. Walked me through the process and spent time educating me about the anatomy of the foot, boot construction and custom orthotics should work together to provide fit, comfort and performance. Then after we agreed to go ahead he made custom orthotics put in heal lifts and shin pads and ground the shell a little where I had some hot spots.

The boots feel 100% better now snug but the pain is gone. I can't wait to put them into action on the slopes.

My only regret is that I didn't see Jeff before I bought my current boots, which are about 8 ski days old. The good news is that I know what to look for in my next pair now.

If you think your boots need work or if you are thinking about new ones, I'd recommend that you see Jeff. (and bring the coupon he was happy to accept it!)

ddprocter

Shin Bang Solutions

Jeff -

I am a long-time bump-skier and shin-bang sufferer due to my low-volume shin area. I wear a size 10.5 shoe but have gotten used to wearing a smaller boot (27.0 or even 26.5) to compensate for the low-volume shin-area and try to alleviate painful shin bruising.

1) Years ago I was told when trying on boots that the toes should barely touch the front and then pull away when I lean forward into the normal skiing position. By this rule I arrive at a boot size of 27 or 27.5 (which according to the conversion charts is only a 9, or 1.5 sizes smaller than my tennies!). Is this rule still applicable? Or is the shell-fit method better?

2) In your experience, what is the origin of shin-bang and what is the best solution for fixing this. I have tried large reinforced velcro straps, which help tighten the upper cuff and reduce movement throughout the shin area. However, these also seem to cut off insulation to the lower foot, causing some pain in other areas.

3) Would you recommend running a smaller boot (to fit better in the shin area), and then just blow-out the toe of the boot? Or, should I be looking at custom-fit solutions? Nordica Speed-Machine seems to be promising since it has custom-fitting around the shin.

Thanks for your insight -
Dave

Greg

Staff member
Great to hear that Jeff is finally getting some business via this site. If you're in his area, and would like a custom fit that will really make a difference in your skiing performance, go visit him! My experience with Jeff was great as well.

NYDrew

Jeff, another boot question.

So lately Ive been having some intense pain in the "ring" toe's knucke on my left boot. Even get a little purple spot which looks like its from something pressing it. I kinda linked it to the toe dam's bold which is just under 1/4 inch infront of the pain spot (its a point pain, not an area), and has a corresponding indent on the liner.

My bootfitter down here doesn't know what to do nor does he think it is the bolt, he is going to try to shave my bed down more to increase volume in that spot, but I am convinced it is the bolt. Is there anything I can do for this? Do you know of any collegues in the Binghamton area whom you trust, from what I know I am already using the best.

Any ideas that I can pass along to my bootfitter would be great. I am very happy he is willing to admit defeat, but at the same time pissed off because i still have to wear these things which otherwise fit great...i mean awesome. Oh, also note, if I dont teach lessons on a particular day, I dont have pain, so it is kinda linked to walking and wedging, not skiing. He says he already sees wear in my boots related to walking and they are brand new.

Boots are lange comp 120's Med Fit.

If my guy can't figure this out, have you ever had anything like this? Perhaps ill take a vacation up to you..but only if you already feel you can succeeed. I am a poor ski instructor/student, at this point I can only afford a garantee.

Skiiboot

Dave,

Thanks for the question. First boots are getting bigger this is good for some and not for others. I like to see a 1/4 to 3/8 inch shell fit rather than feeling the liner because someliners are longer than others, But for the most part to fitting hasn't changed much.
Second shin bang is uneven pressure on the shins, This is very difficult to fix, but the shin needs to have even contact from top to bottom.
Third, If you can get yourself into a small boot it will help your shins, it will also help overall control.

Thank you

Jeff

Skiiboot

NYDrew, I think you are on the right track, go up in the boot. There is a shelf in the boots over the toes, the bolt could be a problem. Also if the liner is pushing the toe a little it could push up the knuckle to add pressure. A couple of thoughts for you.

Thanks

Jeff

Robbski

After a day on the Slopes ...

The new bootfit worked wonders.

About ten days ago I had a bootfitting session with Jeff (see earlier post). It went great, I got custom footbeds heel lift, shin pads and a little shell work. Finally got out to try them yesterday afternoon.

Results:

Hotspot ... Gone,
Foot pain accross forefoot ... Gone, responsiveness ... much better,
regrets.. should have done it much sooner .

Now I can concentrate on the canting adjustments Jeff recommended ...

RISkier

I visited Jeff today. Folks have noticed some tracking issues and suggested I see someone about alignment. Basically, it's been very hard for me to let my right ski run parallel with the left. If I'm just skiing down a cat track without even thinking about it my right ski goes into a little wedge. When I consciously bring it to parallel my leg is not in a natural position. I also make better turns to the right than to the left. We did new footbeds and added shin pads. Jeff made some adjustments to the boots. I've had a bit of a hot spot on one big toe (My toe has an unimaginable shape, so I've not blamed the boots). He opened that up a bit. My alignment on my right leg was about 3 degrees off. Jeff wants me to try some temporary canting before making permanent changes to the boot. I'm really anxious to get out a ski on them. We'd planned to ski tomorrow but I think we'll be snowbound. I've no doubt it'll take some tweeking to get the alignment right but I left confident that Jeff's the guy that can help me get the alignment right. I'll post follow-ups when I actually get a chance to ski on them. Jeff's a really nice guy and very easy to work with. It was clear he wants to get this right and will work with me till we do. Updates to follow.

Charlie Schuessler

RISkier said:
I visited Jeff today...We did new footbeds and added shin pads...made some adjustments to the boots...alignment on my right leg was about 3 degrees off... [going to] try some temporary canting before making permanent changes to the boot...I've no doubt it'll take some tweeking to get the alignment right but I left confident that Jeff's the guy that can help me get the alignment right... Jeff's a really nice guy and very easy to work with...It was clear he wants to get this right and will work with me till we do...Updates to follow.

Thanks for the report...I find it interesting reading about the adjustments Jeff makes to ski boots for better skiing...

RISkier

Finally got onto the hill after the boot modifications. The boots felt great though I think I need to have a bit more ground out for one of my big toes. I'm actually not sure anything short of surgery will really fix the toe issue. I've had a lot of trouble with quad burn. I've simply attributed that to age, not being in the kind of shape I'd really like to be in, and technique. Jeff made some modifications which made some changes in my stance and made it easier to pressure the tongue. I felt it was much easier to maintain contact with the tongue in a natural/neutral position. We were on the slopes almost 6 hours yesterday and no quad burn. I think the modifications put me in a much stronger position. I had about 1.5 degrees of canting on my right boot yesterday and found it easier to engage the edge of that ski. Jeff thought I was almost 3 degrees off. I need to play with the canting more before making permanent changes to the boot, so the ball is in my court there. I am amazed at how much of a difference some of these kinds of modifications can make.

mckay

Wow, how great is this. Free advice from an expert. Thank you, in advance.

Here is my story -- I am 36, 5'9", 190 and this is my first year skiing. I have been renting boots for the first 10 or so times that I went this year, just bought a pair and skied on them once so far. In the rentals I tried 4 different styles of boots from 2 different manufacturers (Head and Dalbello), mostly in size 25.5. 26.5 was the next available size, felt too big, but the 25.5 always felt a bit too small. These are fully packed out rentals and no matter which boot it was THE TOES ON MY LEFT FOOT WOULD FADE IN AND OUT OF SLEEP while skiing.

A few days ago I bought myself a pair of Atomic B5 boots in size 26. I talked to the bootfitter about the sleeping toes and he suggested the Atomics because of the wider toe thing. My right foot measured 25.5, left 26, had a teensy bit of heel movement after skiing on them once, so I just had a butterfly shaped piece of foam attached to the outside of the heel of the inner booty -- tightened right up, feels great as far as all-around snugness. BUT. . . . when skiing on them the first time I still had the sleepy toes and when wearing them around the house with the ankle thing in the toes fall asleep quickly.

The only slightly uncomfortable spot is on the side of my left foot near the bottom. If I run my finger over the area I can feel a little bump there on each foot, I think this is normal anatomy. The spot that is rubbing is down and foward of my ankle bone at about a 45 degree angle when standing. It feels as though this one part of my left foot is pushing hard against the plastic of the boot, like there needs to be a bit more room there.

The bootfitter suggested that maybe footbeds would hold up my arch a bit and alleviate some of the pressure there. He recommended some non-custom footbeds, but I wanted to try skiing on them without it first. I still have only the footbed that came with the ski. I notice the problem the whole time I am skiing and it has happened every time I have been skiing regardless of the boot or size. I usually move the foot around as much as I can on the chairlift and the problem will go away by the time I get off only to come back while I'm skiing down. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Catul

Jeff is definitely the man! If anyone's thinking of new boots, or just getting the current ones to feel better, go see him :D

Greg

Staff member
Catul said:
Jeff is definitely the man! If anyone's thinking of new boots, or just getting the current ones to feel better, go see him :D
Awesome!

By the way, we all owe Charlie Schuessler a big thank you as well for introducing me to Jeff; and thus his participation here!
:beer:

Catul

Greg said:
By the way, we all owe Charlie Schuessler a big thank you as well for introducing me to Jeff; and thus his participation here!

Absolutely - Charlie, you've done us all a big favor by making us aware of Jeff and his expertise! I know my skiing is a lot better, and more comfortable now :)

Charlie Schuessler

Catul said:
Greg said:

Absolutely - Charlie, you've done us all a big favor by making us aware of Jeff and his expertise! I know my skiing is a lot better, and more comfortable now :)

DON'T BLAME ME for your initiative to excel...Congratulations on improving your skiing abilities!

AND by the way, welcome to the dark side... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.