• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It only took almost 2 years.....

Geoff

Follow-up Mount Snow question: I assume you normally are coming up on I-91. Do you bail out at Greenfield and take 112 to 100? I figured it is quicker to blast up to Route 9 where Waze warns of the speed traps on I-91.

drjeff

Follow-up Mount Snow question: I assume you normally are coming up on I-91. Do you bail out at Greenfield and take 112 to 100? I figured it is quicker to blast up to Route 9 where Waze warns of the speed traps on I-91.

Yup, the majority of the time, IF THE WEATHER IS GOOD, it's 2/112/100 out of Greenfield, just simply because I find that road more fun to drive. If the weather is sketchy, 9 out of Brattleboro, is typically a more predictable road condition wise.

The reality is, havng driven both routes, and couple of others, LOTS of times, as well a few other options, they're all within 5 minutes or less of each other, so it's not like there's a big time difference either way, and often what will determine which way I go is if I have to stop and pick something up at a store in Brattleboro or a store in Greenfield on my way up or home to CT. No matter which way you go, you always run the risk of getting stuck behind a slow truck in an area where there's no passing lanes for multiple miles

Last edited:

urungus

I typically take I-91 all the way to Brattleboro exit 2 and then VT route 9 west. Takes maybe 5 minutes more, but an easier drive. Plus there is a fantastic scenic overlook on route 9 near the crumbling remains of the Hogback Mountain Ski Area. Just be sure to take route 9 all the way to route 100 in Wilmington, some GPS will want to take a shortcut on Augur Hill Road which is to be avoided.

drjeff

Also if you go through Brattleboro you can take a few turns at the Brattleboro Ski Hill https://www.brattski.org/ (tentative opening date Dec 31)
They actually had made a couple of whales there down near the base of the t-bar when I drove by it this past Sunday. Definitely will need some help from mater nature these next 2 weeks both with cold and some snow to make that tentative 12/31 opening date for that cool like community ski hill

drjeff

I typically take I-91 all the way to Brattleboro exit 2 and then VT route 9 west. Takes maybe 5 minutes more, but an easier drive. Plus there is a fantastic scenic overlook on route 9 near the crumbling remains of the Hogback Mountain Ski Area. Just be sure to take route 9 all the way to route 100 in Wilmington, some GPS will want to take a shortcut on Augur Hill Road which is to be avoided.
The Auger Hole Rd to Higley Hill Rd route that both Wayz and Google Maps often tries to send you is definitely one not to take if it's snowy, muddy, or icy as there's a good 3 or 4 miles of dirt road, that is often far from flat or straight! Made that "mistake" enough now in the conditions I mentioned that it's not even a thought now in my mind unless it's a clear, dry, no recent rain/thaw mud inducing situation

Geoff

This is a loooong drive in a rental car tomorrow early morning so I think I'm going to opt for as much limited access highway as possible.