• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I've got a treat for you bacon lovers!

drjeff

Never fails. Everytime I read this thread, I'm suddenly hungry! :)

I wonder how delicious bacon fried in duck fat and then covered in chocolate would taste??

I just might have to roast a duck this weekend to get some of that glorious duck fat and then get a package of good, thick slab bacon and a big bar of good dark chocolate and test this theory out! (of course I should probably go on a 50+ mile hilly road ride and pop a half a dozen Lipitor before beginning this experiment too!) :)

ctenidae

Never fails. Everytime I read this thread, I'm suddenly hungry! :)

I wonder how delicious bacon fried in duck fat and then covered in chocolate would taste??

I just might have to roast a duck this weekend to get some of that glorious duck fat and then get a package of good, thick slab bacon and a big bar of good dark chocolate and test this theory out! (of course I should probably go on a 50+ mile hilly road ride and pop a half a dozen Lipitor before beginning this experiment too!) :)

We'll send the mobile angioplasty unit over for you.

And a SASE for a sample.

snoseek

No reason not to bring it up again, though.

The only think that might be better than bacon fat in the land of culinary gold is duck fat. Mostly because it's hard to cook french fries in bacon grease.

If any of my cooks through out the duck fat their job would be on the line.

I have a bucket of the stuff in the frezer, its funny to see the line in the bucket go up and down. They had it almost full when I came back from Cali, it's half empty now (little over a month)

Rosti is a great way to incorperate bacon fat with potato.

gmcunni

2nd attempt @ chocolate covered bacon is chilling in the fridge.

rather than melting chips i got "real" bakers chocolate.

i cooked the bacon first and let it cool ( i used the boil method previously posted here)

used double boiler - just a smidge of butter along with 4 squares of dark chocolate.

i cut the bacon in half this time so i could dip it in the double boiler rather than smearing it on

should know in an hour or so

snoseek

That little bit of fat that helps with the chocolate is really just lubricating the molecules. Most times I would use butter as it adds the right creaminess and flavor BUT I wonder if using the same amount of bacon fat as you would butter would bring a little extra flavor to this. I bet it would.

ctenidae

That little bit of fat that helps with the chocolate is really just lubricating the molecules. Most times I would use butter as it adds the right creaminess and flavor BUT I wonder if using the same amount of bacon fat as you would butter would bring a little extra flavor to this. I bet it would.

That's what I was thinking.

snoseek

Instead of bringing the bacon to the chocolate maybe bring the chocolate to the bacon. You could melt the chocolate and just pour it over copious amounts of rough chopped bacon to make bark. Toffee chips or a couple swirls of creamy peanut butter would be kinda good too. The possibilities are endless...

gmcunni

Instead of bringing the bacon to the chocolate maybe bring the chocolate to the bacon. You could melt the chocolate and just pour it over copious amounts of rough chopped bacon to make bark. Toffee chips or a couple swirls of creamy peanut butter would be kinda good too. The possibilities are endless...

a mix of bacon, chocolate, toffee and caramel poured over popcorn would make a nice snack.

snoseek

a mix of bacon, chocolate, toffee and caramel poured over popcorn would make a nice snack.

This thread goes so well with the legalize thread. If I had a pile of that in front of me right now, oh man!

wa-loaf

BaconApplePie.JPG

Bacon Apple Pie