• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I've got a treat for you bacon lovers!

drjeff

this just came across my facebook.

401623_10150815292378141_55330643140_9822422_1995010297_n.jpg

All I can say is that if I walked into that store with $30 in my pocket, that i'd be leaving in a few short minutes with an empty wallet and they'd have an empty tray in their display case! :)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I guess it's more to prevent the smoke screen effect. (re: cooking in water).

That said, I'm just not sure if I can get on board with the Bacon desserts.

bvibert

Staff member
All I can say is that if I walked into that store with $30 in my pocket, that i'd be leaving in a few short minutes with an empty wallet and they'd have an empty tray in their display case! :)

Looks like there's more than 10 there...

drjeff

Looks like there's more than 10 there...

Volume discounts?

Breaking out the VISA card then! I could just hear my wife as she's looking over the bill saying something like "$100 at the chocolate store?? And I didn't even get one??" My answer would be something like "But dear, it was chocolate covered bacon, it never made it out of the parking lot!!" :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That said, I'm just not sure if I can get on board with the Bacon desserts.
Go easy. Start with candied bacon. You'll be converted shortly.

Should pick up the Baconery deal from Google Offers right now ($45 worth of bacon goods for $20):
https://www.google.com/offers/home?...ET4#details/1727b11c9f4d4889/0SQUTC6QLW8NAET4

gmcunni

:) I approve of this! You probably would have liked the bacon toffee I made around Christmas.

it turned out just OK.

i'd never worked with melted chocolate before. it was a lot harder than i thought it would be to coat the bacon. i ended up with too thick a coating of chocolate.

i used thick cut bacon but i think it would be better with EXTRA thick.

bvibert

Staff member
it turned out just OK.

i'd never worked with melted chocolate before. it was a lot harder than i thought it would be to coat the bacon. i ended up with too thick a coating of chocolate.

i used thick cut bacon but i think it would be better with EXTRA thick.

There's only one way to get better, you'll just have to make more... Practice makes perfect.

gmcunni

the melted chocolate was much harder to work with than i expected. rather than dipping the bacon in it i ended up spreading the chocolate on the bacon with a spatula.

P1070976.JPG

P1070978.JPG

P1070979.JPG

P1070982.JPG

ctenidae

Looks like your chocolate may have seized a bit- you have to be really careful not to get any water (even a drop of condensation from the double boiler) in the chocolate.

gmcunni

Looks like your chocolate may have seized a bit- you have to be really careful not to get any water (even a drop of condensation from the double boiler) in the chocolate.

yeah, i screwed it up. i thought i'd save time by pre melting the chocolate and just keeping it warm but as time went by the chocolate thickened. i mistakenly added fluids to try an thin it but made it worse. read later vegetable oil might have been a good option but it was too late.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
yeah, i screwed it up. i thought i'd save time by pre melting the chocolate and just keeping it warm but as time went by the chocolate thickened. i mistakenly added fluids to try an thin it but made it worse. read later vegetable oil might have been a good option but it was too late.

There ya go! Double boiler would have been good (keep it in a bowl set over a pan of boiling/boiled water). If you microwave, do so in 30 second intervals, stirring between each. Shortening/oil/butter may help smooth it back out, but better to not get to the point of overheating in the first place, if possible.

snoseek

It helps to bring it up nice and slow in the double boiler. I have to deal with chocolate more than I'd like to admit at work. I throw and handful of chunks (or chips) in the double boiler with a pat of butter, keep the heat med/low and walk away for ten or so minutes. Never fails and I feel like the lack of stirring may help, it definitely does when making caramel.

Hmmm caramel...bacon...?

snoseek

Why not? Bacon toffee is great! I'm pretty sure Vosges Haut Chocolat makes Bacon Caramel Marshmallows...

Hmmmm bacon toffee, pretty much the same thing, delicious I'm sure. Why haven't I been following this thread?

I'm gonna assume we've discussed the greatness that is bacon fat somewhere in the last 18 pages. Never ever through out the bacon fat...

ctenidae

Hmmmm bacon toffee, pretty much the same thing, delicious I'm sure. Why haven't I been following this thread?

I'm gonna assume we've discussed the greatness that is bacon fat somewhere in the last 18 pages. Never ever through out the bacon fat...

No reason not to bring it up again, though.

The only think that might be better than bacon fat in the land of culinary gold is duck fat. Mostly because it's hard to cook french fries in bacon grease.